'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trim arond the finders coming off

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-03-28 11:45 AM
5 replies, 3837 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lorri
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2012-03-27 9:09 AM (#142526)
Subject: trim arond the finders coming off

Regular

My trailer is only 2 yrs old and  I am having issues with the black ruber trim coming off the aluminum. I have tried gorilla glue did not like how it puffed up and came out around the trim. Any sugestions of what might work to make it stick or do I need to pull it off and start over?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2012-03-27 9:23 AM (#142528 - in reply to #142526)
Subject: RE: trim arond the finders coming off

Expert

I've used Gorilla glue before.  It works well.  If it puffed out of the seam, you used too much.  Try trimming the excess with a razor blade.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2012-03-27 9:46 AM (#142534 - in reply to #142526)

Elite Veteran

Make sure the trim isn't too long. When it gets hot, it expands and pooches off. There is a metal component inside. I have had luck taking it off, squeezing/crimping it together, and then putting it back on.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-03-27 10:58 PM (#142555 - in reply to #142526)

Expert

Gorilla glue is moisture cured and can expand almost four times its original volume. That is why it "puffed" up when it hardened. Some trim pieces are nothing more than a synthetic rubber "U" channel. Some are metallic, but both can be affixed in the following manner.

When they loosen, I pull them completely off the fender. Using acetone and a gray "Scotch Brite", the inner and outer edges of the fender are then scrubbed clean and lightly abraded. I temporarly reinstall the trim and place a mark at the center of both its length and that of the fender.

There are many brands of 5 minute two part epoxies available, Gorilla being one of them. The epoxies of which I refer, consist of a twin tube applicator, which holds a clear glue that tacks up in about 5 minutes and costs ~$6.

You make a cut across the applicator nozzle and squeeze a small amount into the bottom of the trim strip. Some epoxies have a mixer applicator and can be immediately placed. Some have to be mixed outside on a smooth surface and then brushed into place. Spread the mixture along the bottom with an acid or artist's brush, applying more glue as you need it. Don't hesitate, as you only have a few minutes of working time, and you don't want the glue to set up before the trim is correctly placed.

Starting at the premarked centers, push the trim into place working towards each end. A soft faced hammer can sometimes help out to fully seat the channel. A friend can help out here, reducing the application time. Using laundry clips or various tapes, tack the strips into place until the glue finally cures, which usually is several hours.

If the fender is aluminum, it will sometimes expand and contract more than the trim piece, which loosens the trim. The epoxy will force the trim to stay in place and you shouldn't have any more separation. The metallic trims usually loosen with vibration, and can be reattached using the same epoxy methods.

Treas
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2012-03-28 6:58 AM (#142560 - in reply to #142526)

Try drilling small holes in the trim when it is on the fender and through the fender and use small pop rivets to hold them on. This should work very well if done correctly and you should have little to no maintenance to keep them on. Good luck.
Bells
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-03-28 11:45 AM (#142574 - in reply to #142526)

Veteran

I've used aligator clips (paper clips). Use them in several strategic places, and remove the silver handles. They've worked very well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)