'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ordering a Lakota or Purchasing from Dealer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-03-03 6:23 AM
11 replies, 6362 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barrelrunner66
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2012-02-21 2:57 PM (#141294)
Subject: Ordering a Lakota or Purchasing from Dealer?

Regular

For those who have a Lakota, did you buy from a dealer or special order one (since they do their own conversions? If you ordered one, how does that work - do you work with a dealer or work directly with Lakota? I've read lots of info on Lakota but can't determine the answer about this one...Can you tell I've bought only USED trailers from individuals? barrelrunner66
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pampered Horse
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2012-02-21 8:04 PM (#141301 - in reply to #141294)
Subject: RE: Ordering a Lakota or Purchasing from Dealer?

Sending you a private message.
Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2012-02-22 11:24 AM (#141318 - in reply to #141294)

Veteran

I ordered mine from Gary Stites in London Ohio.  It was pretty much a regular 6ft LQ Lakota but I needed a furnace, and a ramp on the first horse door.  You can speak to the manufacturer if you have specific details but they will only allow you to buy from a dealer.

One of the best thing a salesman has ever said to me is "Here is my personal cell phone number, if you ever get stuck or have any questions,  just give me a call"  I think I only took him up on it once but I sure do love the attitude that they are gonna be there after the sale.

The only problem with our Lakota is my husband and I have to mark down on a calendar who gets it for which weekend !  This is our first LQ and I can't tell you how much we enjoy it.

barrelrunner66
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2012-02-22 11:31 AM (#141319 - in reply to #141318)

Regular

One of the best thing a salesman has ever said to me is "Here is my personal cell phone number, if you ever get stuck or have any questions,  just give me a call"  I think I only took him up on it once but I sure do love the attitude that they are gonna be there after the sale.

Ncatanz,

That is REALLY impressive! Wow. You don't get that kind of service much anymore, sadly enough. Thank you so much for this info!

What type of feedback could you give concerning the Lakota? Would you purchase again? What types of things swayed you to this manufacturer? And what others manufacturers were in the running when you were deciding what to purchase? Any information you'd be willing to share I would certainly appreciate. (feel free to PM me if you prefer. :)

Thank you again!

barrelrunner66

AJH
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2012-02-22 12:14 PM (#141321 - in reply to #141294)

We ordered our Lakota last year from from Tommy Bradbury at Shinin B trailers in Elizabethtown, KY. Can't say enough about how helpful Tommy was getting us the trailer we wanted. While sitting in his office, he called Lakota several times and asked them if they would do the custom work we wanted and they did it at a reasonable cost. We love our trailer and had a great first year with it and look forward to many more. We ordered a 15'SW 4H rear kitchen and they manufactured it and delivered it within 8 weeks. The special items Tommy mentioned and we added are flush floor slide out, fully insulated floor throughout, electric strip in the AC to go along with the gas furnace for when just a little heat was needed, a step and entry handle lockset at the emergency door for using as a mud entry when camping, a hook strip in the first stall and the fancy vent fan that shuts itself, the dual hydraulic jacks. After looking in the Bighorn addition we asked about adding side windows in the slide out and Lakota did it. We asked for a ramp across the horse door only, so the rear tack room was accessabile at any time and Lakota did it. The only item I wished we had upgraded was to 8000# axles. And Tommy has answered the phone anytime we called with questions. 
barrelrunner66
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2012-02-22 12:47 PM (#141322 - in reply to #141294)

Regular

Thank you so much for your reply...VERY HELPFUL! Wow - what a great list of extras! I had the step for the escape door on my list but hadn't thought about the handle and all, too! :)I am adding some of these items to my wishlist.

With all the feedback, I can't wait to see these trailers first hand! Hopefully I will be making a road trip this weekend and will get to look at them up close and personal.

lorri
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2012-02-22 3:46 PM (#141325 - in reply to #141294)

Regular

We also ordered ours from Lakota of Ohio. Gary Sites the owner was one of the nicest salesmen I have every delt with. He will give you his personal cell # and you can call him any time day or night and will help you with anything.Their prices were the best as far as apples to apples with the other dealers too. We bought a 4h 15ft SW, w/slide & hay rack it was purchased in 2010. We orded our sight unseen just from what I had seen from the web and I was pleased with everything. We added an outlet in the horse compartment, battery box to our package. I would recommend having 2 steps inplace of one it's kind of high. We traded our old trailer and they delievered the new one in about 6 wks and took the old one for free from Ohio to southern VA.to our camp site. (Funny story about that)We are very satisfied customers and would highly recommend Lakota of Ohio.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-02-22 8:25 PM (#141335 - in reply to #141325)

Extreme Veteran

We ordered our Lakota from Jim Kelly at Sparta Trailers in Michigan. We live in Florida and he was wonderful to work with. Very reasonable too. I would highly recommend him. Good luck with your new trailer! We love ours.

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-02-22 8:57 PM (#141336 - in reply to #141335)

Extreme Veteran

It was too late to edit but I thought I would add that we bought a Bighorn 3H 12ft LQ a little over a year ago. I had them add the hooks in the first stall with rubber matting up the wall so things wouldn't bang on the wall, an extra blanket bar in the tack area, ramp, extra clearance lights on top and bottom. Jim automatically orders the rubber on the stallion divider which is nice. We have an extra tack hook in the manger which is quite handy. Ours has the heat strip in the A/C and the Bighorn comes with the flush slide with the side windows which I would highly recommend. We also had them add a hot water spigot on the outside of the trailer. This makes it nice to wash large pots outside (hubby likes to cook) or hose horses with warm water when it's kind of chilly.  Our trailer also has an insulated nose as well as the floor. We had extra lights added to both sides of the trailer and brighter lights on the back of the trailer. It's great to be able to switch on the side lights and be able to see the horses in the dark. In the dark hours getting ready for an endurance ride, it's nice to have the extra lights to tack up by. It's one of the best features that we added besides the hot water outside.

The only issues we have had were a leak in the skylight which was not due to enough calk (there was plenty of caulk) but to a pinhole of an air bubble. Fixed easily enough. And one of our drawers has had an issue with the track. It's a large drawer, which is nice, but needs a beefier track.  We also had to move the control box for the jack and the tube for the sewer hose as the back of the truck would hit it if you were turning with the trailer on an angle which made them too close to the bed. We mentioned this to Lakota and perhaps they're doing this differently now. I know they had the hubby send a photo of where we remounted it.

Hope this helps!

Edited by randemtam 2012-02-22 8:58 PM
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2012-02-23 12:58 AM (#141340 - in reply to #141294)

Veteran

We bought ours from a dealer at Quarter Horse Congress.  My wife and I had been looking for a trailer for a few years and Congress makes shopping so much easier.  We set out one day to find a trailer.  Here is our story.

We looked at all the big names and some smaller ones as well.  I looked at weights, can my truck pull it and if I fit in the beds and my wife looked at build quality, she is an Airframe and Power plant mechanic so she knows a few things about aluminum skin that is riveted.  Most trailers we looked at did not pass her inspection.  That is until we came across the trailer we bought sitting out in the grass with a for sale sign on it and a price, a low price at that.  She looked over the gooseneck area and even got under the trailer to look at the axle area then checked out the skin.  She said it was put together well so we bought it.  The low price we did not figure out till the following spring when we used it for the first time.  The door is on the street side and the dump is on the curb side, it is built backwards.  Finding a campground that we can use like everyone else is difficult but for the money we saved it is worth it.  Our trailer has been great no big issues, only thing now after 4 years the radio is not working.  I can deal with  that.

We did not buy from Lakota of Ohio but we did have service done there and I will echo that Gary is an upstanding business man and a fine person.  I cannot recommend his company enough.  Also Lakota is a company that stands behind their trailers.  My trailer is one of the last that had a third party install the LQ.  There was an issue with the trailer when we bought it and the installer would not stand up and fix it, Lakota took it upon themselves to ensure we had a trailer that we were happy with and fixed it at no charge.  Look up post by me Jeepplr and you can read all about what happened.  I assure you when we replace this trailer it will be with another Lakota.

barrelrunner66
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2012-02-23 8:20 AM (#141347 - in reply to #141294)

Regular

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to answer me on this thread. As you know, trailers ain't cheap (lol) and I'd hate to spend money only to find out too late that the choice was not a quality product. It's also easy to get wowed by all the "bling" (read: LQ) and miss the things that really hurt you a few years into the deal - things like poor structure, poor quality of craftsmanship, cut corners, etc. I have a friend who purchased the "cheapest trailer she could find that had all the stuff she wanted." Now she has a floor rotting out in the LQ. It's a bad situation. It really matters that what we buy not only has the creature comforts we want, but the quality construction that we need.

Additionally, I **really** appreciate so many of you sharing the extra things you added to your trailer. Most things have now made MY LIST of extras!

Finally, since I live in an area that does NOT have ANY trailer dealers, it has been very helpful to read who you worked with. It is also encouraging to know that several of you did the deal long distance and STILL had a great experience. Thank you.

We are taking a road trip this weekend to look at several of the trailers mentioned to determine exactly which one we will go with when the time comes to pull the trigger. :)

Thanks to all!
barrelrunner66

t5884cc
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2012-03-03 6:23 AM (#141628 - in reply to #141321)

New User

I just had a Lakota delivered from Shinin B trailers.  Tommy was awesome to deal with!  Dealt with several other dealers and it was worse then buying a car!  I got an awesome deal on a great trailer.  Glad I found Tommy!  The delivery people were just as great, would recommend them to anybody.  Now waiting paitently for nice weather to start using my new lakota :)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)