'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Straight Load vs Slant Load

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-12-07 2:15 AM
36 replies, 23926 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ornerie
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2011-08-15 9:21 AM (#136713 - in reply to #136697)
Subject: RE: Straight Load vs Slant Load

Regular

*snort*!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Zephyer1995
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2011-11-23 9:37 AM (#139059 - in reply to #136592)

New User

Bumping this back up, looking for more opinions.

I currently have a 3H slant load GN trailer. I LOVE it. However, we moved to a smaller farm and getting it in and out is quite a hassle and not a task I'll attempt alone. I now only have 2 horses and would like something smaller that I can more easily manuaver around the property and doesn't quite kill my truck as much in the mountains.

When I first bought my gelding, I had a 2H straight load BP. One of those real tiny ones. He fell all over it! Cut his legs up, cut his buddy's legs up, tore shoes off, tore his feet up. Granted, it didn't have rubber mats at first and once we did put one in, it was quite thin. Not made for horse trailers. To haul him, I had to put rubber bells on him, tape them around his hooves then put shipping boots on him and his buddy. It wasn't erratic driving. He once pulled a shoe off driving about 30 feet in a straight line.
Hauled him in a friend's slightly larger 2H straight load BP and he didn't hurt his legs but he had paint on the nose of his halter when we got to the vet's office.
I have been shopping around for months for a 2H slant load that is less than 20ft. No luck within my budget or traveling restrictions. I have found several nice straight loads. Both GN and BP.
Would you chance it with a straight load and just buy really nice shipping boots for everyone? Or stay on the search?
Truck is a 2003 Chevey 2500 HD with extended cab and long bed if that makes a difference.
liv to ride
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2011-11-23 2:27 PM (#139067 - in reply to #136697)

Veteran

To funny Gard.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2011-11-23 11:07 PM (#139076 - in reply to #136592)

Elite Veteran

NO!!!!! stick to finding a slant load. I can't even tell you how many trailer ads I see that someone wants to trade their straight load for a slant. I think to myself, " you have got to be kidding!?"

I quit using shipping boots since all they did was end up sliding down to the horses hooves and then they would trip all over themselves and end up hurting themselves worse than if they were without them. Horses just seem to be much more relaxed in a slant load. Almost every issue I have seen with some one not being able to load their horse was with a straight load. Especially if you haul a friends horse. More horses will walk willingly into a slant than straight.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2011-11-25 11:36 AM (#139105 - in reply to #136592)

Expert

That is interesting as seeing both trailers load the same way for the back
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2011-11-25 12:53 PM (#139107 - in reply to #139076)

Expert

Originally written by jackbrat on 2011-11-23 11:07 PM

NO!!!!! stick to finding a slant load. I can't even tell you how many trailer ads I see that someone wants to trade their straight load for a slant. I think to myself, " you have got to be kidding!?"

I quit using shipping boots since all they did was end up sliding down to the horses hooves and then they would trip all over themselves and end up hurting themselves worse than if they were without them. Horses just seem to be much more relaxed in a slant load. Almost every issue I have seen with some one not being able to load their horse was with a straight load. Especially if you haul a friends horse. More horses will walk willingly into a slant than straight.

Especially if you haul a friends horse. Another reason I don't haul horses for others....

More horses will walk willingly into a slant than straight. You going to have to explain this one. Part of the time we back our horses up the side ramp and into the stalls on our head to head, why? Because we've trained them to do so. Don't matter if it's a slant, stock, straight load or flatbed truck, it's up to you to teach/train them to load like you want them to. Our horses don't get to choose!! 

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2011-11-25 9:42 PM (#139113 - in reply to #136592)

Elite Veteran

Most people don't take the time like you or I do with trailer training our horses. It is what it is. My horses will load into anything. Friends horses I have trailered..... will not. I am talking about the majority of people with their horses. I never said mine would not load into a straight-load. But, I do know for a fact, both mine travel much less stress free in a slant load. Same truck and me as a driver.
jumperjudy
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2011-11-30 8:01 AM (#139199 - in reply to #136713)

New User

I'm looking to get a trailer with a LQ, but my horse is 17.2h and still growing. I'm having a hard time finding a slant load, 2 or 3 horse, that is wide enough to hold him. Opinions on what width is needed???
adepuydt
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2011-11-30 10:20 AM (#139206 - in reply to #136592)

If you can stand to wait- do not compromise.  I did on my last trailer.  Purchased it 3 months ago and realized it was a mistake- my horses hated the 2H BP, straight load w/ramp... regaurdless of how much I like it and how easy it was on my wallet.  I'm now searching for a 3H slant stock.  I took my horses to a great trainer who was able to get them to load in my trailer but it was clear that they did not crave getting in the trailer to go work. 

Good luck!

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-11-30 6:47 PM (#139216 - in reply to #139059)

Expert

Originally written by Zephyer1995 on 2011-11-23 9:37 AMBumping this back up, looking for more opinions.I currently have a 3H slant load GN trailer. I LOVE it. However, we moved to a smaller farm and getting it in and out is quite a hassle and not a task I'll attempt alone. I now only have 2 horses and would like something smaller that I can more easily manuaver around the property and doesn't quite kill my truck as much in the mountains.When I first bought my gelding, I had a 2H straight load BP. One of those real tiny ones. He fell all over it! Cut his legs up, cut his buddy's legs up, tore shoes off, tore his feet up. Granted, it didn't have rubber mats at first and once we did put one in, it was quite thin. Not made for horse trailers. To haul him, I had to put rubber bells on him, tape them around his hooves then put shipping boots on him and his buddy. It wasn't erratic driving. He once pulled a shoe off driving about 30 feet in a straight line. Hauled him in a friend's slightly larger 2H straight load BP and he didn't hurt his legs but he had paint on the nose of his halter when we got to the vet's office. I have been shopping around for months for a 2H slant load that is less than 20ft. No luck within my budget or traveling restrictions. I have found several nice straight loads. Both GN and BP. Would you chance it with a straight load and just buy really nice shipping boots for everyone? Or stay on the search?Truck is a 2003 Chevey 2500 HD with extended cab and long bed if that makes a difference.
Good straight load trailers have dividers that extend all the way to the floor...so the stepping on your neighbor is a NON-issue...Proper chest and butt bars are a must with a straight load operation...Drafts and LARGE Dressage horses seem to do better in straight load trailers...YMMV

Edited by PaulChristenson 2011-11-30 6:48 PM
TBchick
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-11-30 7:21 PM (#139219 - in reply to #136592)

Regular

When given his choice, my horse will stand at a slant (or backwards) every time. I am one of those looking to trade my straight load for a slant, but I recently saw a trailer that might make it a non issue. I was driving behind an oversized 2 horse straight load. The horse on the left side had a good 1" of extra width to deal with. He used it to stand at a slight slant in his straight stall. Looked like a great compromise to me. What I don't like about slants it that there is very little room for sizing errors. Many larger breeds simply do not fit into the slants, and every slant I have had my horse is has dividers that do not stay completely closed because the horses have warped them over time by leaning on them. I think I will stay in straight load world and just leave the divider out if I'm only hauling my horse so he can stand as he wants.
Chickshunt2
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-12-07 2:15 AM (#139375 - in reply to #136592)

For the BIG horses I Would have to go with a warmblood model slant load. A head to head is nice if you can find one or have one built for the bigger horses but when shopping for my last trailer I found the extra space I needed/wanted came with a few downfalls. Price being the biggest. I opted to go with a 4 horse featherlite warmblood model with a 8 foot short wall DR. I own a 18 hand 2200lb percheron draft horse hes huge lol and the longer & wider (11 feet long/ 60 inches wide) stalls fit him perfectly! He has enough room to be able to take a step or two forward and back should he need to, to balance himself and he has roughly 3 inches on each side of him for wiggle room side to side. My other horses are 14 & 16 hands and they to ride very nicely in this trailer. One the biggest yay's for me was that even with my big guy I still have enough room to hang a hay net for the long hauls and its not right in his face or pressing into the side of his neck. My trailer does have a rear tack but the "wall" swings so easy that when I have opted to move it, its been easy to do alone and only takes a min or two to do. All my horses ride quieter in a slant than a str8. They also seem less tired during long hauls or hauls where the roads arent perfectly nice. I wasn't "sold" on a featherlite trailer but after comparing other "warmblood" models ( which is a joke btw...a 7 foot trailer is not big enough to be called warmblood and 40 inch stalls might fit a nice stocky qh..lol) the featherlite IS the trailer that IS sitting in my driveway...I LOVE it, My horses LOVE it and even most hard to load horses have walked right in...after finding out the ramp wasnt going to eat them..lol
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)