'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Picking a trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-10-06 9:49 AM
5 replies, 3892 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

my3jsons
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2011-10-04 7:56 AM (#138036)
Subject: Picking a trailer

New User

New to this forum and fairly new to horses, trailers, etc...  Wondering if anyone would like to weigh in on a few questions. 

First, a little background.  We have some livestock and will need to haul a few head from time to time.  We also have 3 horses and will need to haul more often than the livestock.  I'm torn between the stock/combo trailers with a sliding rear gate or a 3 horse and struggle with getting the livestock in and out of the trailer.  I've also considered seeing if I could replace the gate with a slider if I did go with a 3 horse slant. 

Next question:  Hauling 3 horses would I be better off with a gooseneck or bumper pull.  My truck could do either, however, I would have to have a gooseneck hitch installed. 

Please feel free to give your opinions.  They would be greatly appreciated!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-10-04 8:42 AM (#138039 - in reply to #138036)
Subject: RE: Picking a trailer

Expert

We had a 3H BP slant load, stock/horse combo for many years. It had a one piece tailgate with an integral sliding man door. When the stall dividers were opened and against the wall, the entire interior body of the trailer was accessable for anything we wanted to transport. This included farm equipment, moving furniture, building materials, anything that would fit into its 18' length. It had no rear tack storage, and the front slant wall could be opened or removed.

We ordered the optional upgrade axles and tires, and never encountered an overloaded condition. The axles were centrally located, and any loads could be balanced, reducing any tongue weights. It was a very versatile trailer, only sold because we wanted a smaller LQ model.

We did switch to a GN trailer, but only because of the LQ. Without its benefits, the BP would continue to suffice.

horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-10-04 11:27 AM (#138042 - in reply to #138036)

Veteran

my 3jsons, I see that you are in Oklahoma, so you can be hot in the summer. My choice, in your situation would be a gooseneck stock combo, which is sort of the happy medium. Then you will have a nice back box, with a full back door with slider for your livestock, and also either a full center gate, or horse dividers. You will have slat sides on the butt side and also probably head side, which will provide good airflow in your hot summer weather. A four foot short wall in the nose/tack area will give you plenty of room for tack and stuff and a place to sleep if you need one. Check 'em out!
my3jsons
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2011-10-04 9:00 PM (#138055 - in reply to #138036)

New User

Thank you both for your advice.  Both were very informative and helpful.  I'll let you know what I decide.
301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-10-04 9:22 PM (#138056 - in reply to #138036)

Veteran

A Kiefer built "advantage" has a full rear gate, with half slide and horse slants. Slat side with small dressing room, I use it to haul most of the stuff I need to haul, just can't divide them, I think that's what you're looking for???? P.S Kiefer is bankrupt as far as I know, just wanted to give you an example so you can look at pictures.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-10-06 9:49 AM (#138097 - in reply to #138036)

Expert

What horsecamper said....to a t!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'