'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
why rivets were replaced with screws?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-09-23 7:27 PM
4 replies, 5963 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

reiner11
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-09-22 11:02 PM (#137801)
Subject: why rivets were replaced with screws?

Regular

I recently bought a 2005 Keifer Built Genesis 3 horse slant load. I assume the roof is supposed to be riveted but the rivets have been pulled and screws were put in new holes and they are loose and won't tighten. The screws cannot be accessed from the inside. Why was this done and should I re rivet or put in new screws? I discovered this when I was caulking the front seams because of leaking in both front corners. Has anyone had this problem with their Keifer or any other horse trailer? Any advice would be appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-09-23 8:06 AM (#137810 - in reply to #137801)
Subject: RE: why rivets were replaced with screws?

Expert

Replacing rivets with screws is a common practise. Solid rivets are usually "soft" and work harden as they are driven. Pulled rivets have only a partial wall thickness to offer in shear, when compared to their overall thickness. Most screws have more initial strength, feature a solid shank, and work better to draw two surfaces together when fastened.

If the screws are not tightening and they are run into nuts, chances are they have too long a shank size, or they are not fully threaded to the head. This will prevent the nuts from pulling directly against the surface material, or to tighten against a washer.

With no access to the back side of the screws to see if they are fastened into nuts, or to determine if they are of a sheet metal variety and screw directly into the material, you are limited with alternatives. If you had to remove the metal piece, drilling the heads would be an option, albeit difficult, because the screws could rotate.

If the metal joint in question is secure and not loose, it may be easier to waterproof the area using a sealant tape or elastomeric product. Using the optional reinforcing fabric available for the elastomeric coating, will strenthen the actual joint and reduce the chance of a sealing failure in the future.

reiner11
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-09-23 12:56 PM (#137820 - in reply to #137810)

Regular

Thanks Gard, The tape sounds like a good idea for the top seam. What would you use in the front corners where there are 2 over lapping seams that are leaking as we speak? Seems the tape wouldn't look so good there where it is right in the front.
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2011-09-23 3:00 PM (#137823 - in reply to #137801)

Veteran

I'll bet the manufacturer either used self taping screws OR the roof has been replaced by someone else. Use next size self tapers.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-09-23 7:27 PM (#137831 - in reply to #137820)

Expert

Originally written by reiner11 on 2011-09-23 1:56 PM

Thanks Gard, The tape sounds like a good idea for the top seam. What would you use in the front corners where there are 2 over lapping seams that are leaking as we speak? Seems the tape wouldn't look so good there where it is right in the front.

If it is a single seam overlap, I would use a marine quality polyurethane caulking/adhesive, either Sikaflex 2XX series or the better 3m 5200 and 4200 series. They far exceed the durability of household silicones and are available in some big box stores or from mail order sources such as Jamestown Dist.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)