'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
High Knob Campground in Shawnee Natl Forest

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-07-18 1:14 PM
1 replies, 4616 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

msgt3031
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-11 3:14 PM (#135545)
Subject: High Knob Campground in Shawnee Natl Forest

New User

Just got back from a trip to Shawnee National Forest. We were initially going to stay at 34 Ranch as it had been recommended to us. We arrived on Friday afternoon. No one was at the office, I paid cash in advance for three nights by putting the cash in the self registration envelope and then parked the trailer. We set up camp, and then decided to look around. There was one permanent camper there, and two others came in later. We decided to ride out with them Saturday morning as they were familiar with the trails, meeting time was to be 8:30 am. I called the owner at 8:45 am because we wanted to purchase some ice and a trail map. His assistant showed up around 9:20am. We had told the others to go on without us. The owner, Tom, and his assistant, John, were very nice to talk to. I was given a xeroxed copy of a map that I could not read, and there were no markings on any of the trails heading out of the camp that corresponded to anything legible on the map. We wandered around until 1:00 pm and never got into Shawnee Forest. I attempted to call the owner again, as we decided to leave. He did not answer his phone, I left a voice message. No one returned my call. I explained to him I had no problem paying for the night we had stayed, but thought I was due a refund for the balance. I have not heard back from him as of yet. I also left a note at the office. His assistant returned just before we left, and I also explained it to him. We loaded back up and went to High Knob, we had been there before. What a difference! The owner, JoJo, met us when we pulled in. What a sweetheart! There are trail heads right at the campground, all clearly marked, and the trail markings are consistent to what is on the map she provided. She came to our camp the next morning and told us she had to leave, and took me to the office in her golf cart to get ice for the day's ride. We enjoyed our rides Saturday evening and all day Sunday. We have been to most of the camps in the Shawnee area, but without a doubt, High Knob Campground is the best for facilities and definitely for the trails. Within a few minutes you can be riding near bluffs and huge rock formations. Give them a try if you haven't already. As for 34 Ranch, I guess they need the money more than I do, I won't make a big issue of the refund, but I know I will never go back there, even if some of our friends who know the trails want to go there.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-07-18 1:14 PM (#135793 - in reply to #135545)
Subject: RE: High Knob Campground in Shawnee Natl Forest

Veteran

We went to 34 once, one of the permanent campers took us out. Like you said the maps are useless and his trails aren't marked. Also the guy expected a tip. Liked the campground was nice and flat. But we've never gone back either. Love riding out of High Knob.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)