'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
need advice, look @ trailer(s) Saturday

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-06-26 7:57 AM
2 replies, 2975 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hiddenlakestable
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-24 10:29 PM (#135120)
Subject: need advice, look @ trailer(s) Saturday

Ok, I'm looking for a 4H head to head... it has been an experience to find one that is set up like i want, in my price and still available...

I have been trying to do my research, but the more I read the more confused I get. There is a 4-5 year old Sundowner trailer that suits, but it is a steel frame. is it stupid to buy a steel frame trailer? Will it retain value or depreciate quickly? What should I watch out for or just pass on the steel frame all together? my budget limits me a bit, as does wanting a straight load. The dealer said I had to call the factory about warranty. So I did. They were very helpful, said there was warranty left on the trailer (y didnt dealer know this? how do i transfer warranty?) Manufacturer said the issues have been because of poor care and if i just rustoleum it, then it should be fine?

Is anyone having issues with corrosion on these alum/steel trailers? I had an 87 that developed quite a few issues.. I don't want the same problem again in the future. I would like the trailer I buy to be a decent investment (ie if I need to sell it I don't want to loose my butt, OR if I want to keep it for 20 years it will still be good...)

i've also found an all aluminum that suits, but will probably cost 3-4k more, but is a bit younger.

willing to take any thoughts or advice!!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-06-25 7:42 AM (#135122 - in reply to #135120)
Subject: RE: need advice, look @ trailer(s) Saturday

Expert

For example... http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/sundowner-trailer-problem-... http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134656&page=7 do a google search on the internet with ( dielectric corrosion of steel/aluminum sundowner trailers )

Edited by PaulChristenson 2011-06-25 7:44 AM
hiddenlakestable
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-26 7:57 AM (#135139 - in reply to #135120)
Subject: RE: need advice, look @ trailer(s) Saturday

Well, after talking to Sundowner, talking with maintenance guys I know, looking at what is available within the same price range..... I went with this Sundowner. It does have more surface rust than I would like, the powder coat is peeling pretty bad, BUT I think any steel frame is going to have surface rust after 5-6 years. It will need maintenance this year, and it will get it. Sanded/primed and painted, etc... I hope I made the right choice, the inside and outside are in fantastic condition, it hauls great, is the exact floorplan I want. and I guess there are benefits to a steel frame if it is well cared for. It is a LONG trailer, and not the easiest to drive on right turns, lol. (Had to go through a town to get home....)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)