'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
97 Cato Trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-06-24 1:19 PM
8 replies, 4359 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Foundation Horses
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-22 10:54 PM (#135059)
Subject: 97 Cato Trailer

New User

I recently bought my first living quarters trailer. Its a Cato 4 horse with about a 6' short wall. Figured out all switches and power inside the quarters but there is a switch on the front of the trailer that is recessed and beside it is a male 110 volt type receptacle. It does not appear to have been added but built by the manufacturer. I cannot figure out what either one of those do. Also there are 12 volt lights in the stall area and on the outside. Haven't gotten them to work yet. Does anyone have an idea of what the switch and plug on te outside control. Haven't had anything turn on the lights in the stall.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-06-23 4:58 AM (#135061 - in reply to #135059)
Subject: RE: 97 Cato Trailer

Expert

Many trailers have exterior receptacles to use when you are plugged into a 110V circuit with your shore cord.

The switch may power your stall lights, but it is usually located near the rear doors. You may or may not, have to have your truck's key on or even have the truck running to power the stall lights. I have an older SD Ford diesel that only powers the circuit when the motor is actually running. One of our trailer stall lights, were originally only powered by the truck's B+ circuit, meaning the truck had to run to use the lights. I rewired them, so now I can switch from the truck or use the LQ battery bus.

If you still can't resolve the issue, try caling a Cato dealer or the manufacturer.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-14627124-cato-classic-trailers-hernando

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-06-23 8:14 AM (#135068 - in reply to #135059)

Elite Veteran

Cato has long since departed the business scene. In fact they have come and gone several times, but I think have stayed "gone" for a while now.

As to your questions, they built most of their own interiors. I would suspect the 110 recep is just that- an outside recep.

The horse area lights were typically on 1 master switch, recessed up in the GN by the coupler, in a cup, on the driver's side. Everything ran through this switch, then to the other switches for loading & interior lights. So if none of those are working, or have no power, start in the LF corner.
Foundation Horses
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-23 7:46 PM (#135087 - in reply to #135059)

New User

I was thinking the outside lights ran through that switch just haven't found the right combo.

As for the receptacle it is not the receptacle but the male end that you would put in the receptacle. Thats what has me confused. There is no power to it. Would it be to power the lights? Or provide minimal shore power for frig. or battery charger? Just curious.

Thanks for the help. I just have a puzzle and gotta figure it out.
whh
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2011-06-24 6:43 AM (#135096 - in reply to #135059)

Seeing as how it is a male plug with a switch beside it it is probably to hook a drop cord to and the switch has to be on for it to put 110 to the trailer.

ND COWBOY
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-06-24 8:31 AM (#135100 - in reply to #135059)

Veteran

I had a Cato Classic trailer. The switch on the drivers side front of the trailer is for the interior and loading lights. I did not have the plug in you are talking about on my trailer
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-06-24 10:23 AM (#135106 - in reply to #135059)

I had two Catos. One had a LQ with the 12 volt converter and the other has just a small weekender that had the same plug you are talking about. On my weekender, I would just plug in a drop cord to the receptacle to get electric inside the dressing room for the electric blanket, TV, AC, or coffee pot.

The switch on the neck should be the 12 volt cargo  & load lights. Check for an inline fuse gone bad, broken wiring or corroded switch.

Foundation Horses
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-24 11:41 AM (#135109 - in reply to #135059)

New User

Thanks. For the info. It was just confusing since there is a shore line plug on the other side so wondering why there was two. Guess I will just have to plug in and see what happens. Going to have to replace the load lights before figure it out for sure.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-06-24 1:19 PM (#135113 - in reply to #135059)

I would have a qualified electrician check it out to make sure you won't damage anything in the LQ with a backfeed situation. Maybe, previous owners had the LQ put in a long time after they bought the trailer.  I always have something like that on all my runaround trailers. My 08 4 Star was even ordered from the factory with the drop cord style plug. The conversion guy removed it when he installed the 12v power converter while putting in the living quarters. Originally, we didn't have plans to finish that trailer out, but after a unintended overnight stay in it without very many creature comforts, we had it done. Now, I have stayed in it way more than I ever thought I would have. I even don't mind leaving my "Big Gurl rig" at home on some of the quick out of state hauls.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)