'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-05-04 11:44 PM
6 replies, 4061 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

1JesterCL65
Reg. May 2011
Posted 2011-05-04 11:34 AM (#133808)
Subject: Horse trailer

I am in need of some advice, currently I have a 2 horse bumper pull trailer that can get me around town and short rides, but having any kind of extended stay at a campground in this trailer or a tent would be a little challenging; yes, I am getting old and I like some creature comforts.  Over the past several months, I have been looking for that good-n-cheap  horse trailer.  Living quarters is a plus, and a 3 horse slant load is preferrable.  However, I am pretty new at this and I am learning the pros and cons of horse trailering.  Please feel free to offer any kind of advice you have as far as brand, construction, slant vs. straight load, or anything else that I have not thought of.  I do prefer a gooseneck vs. the bumper pull.  Thanks for helping a newbie.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2011-05-04 11:40 AM (#133809 - in reply to #133808)
Subject: RE: Horse trailer

Expert

Welcome to HTW...!!  What have you got for a "tow vehicle"? No point in looking at a trailer that your truck can't pull. A half ton truck is not going to handle a 10' LQ, three horse steel trailer, etc.....

1JesterCL65
Reg. May 2011
Posted 2011-05-04 11:43 AM (#133810 - in reply to #133808)

I have a 2000 F250 with the 7.3L diesel.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-05-04 11:56 AM (#133811 - in reply to #133808)

Expert

There are numerous levels of quality in both the way that Trailers are built and how the LQ is built.  These all affect the price that you will pay. Of course a private party in hurry to get ride of a trailer will be cheaper than a dealer trying to cover his over head.

Most trailers that have anykind of a LQ finished in the trailer will usually be at least 7' wide. Some 7'3", 7'6" and 8' wide being the largest.   the narrower trailers are easier to see behind. Your truck mirrors work well with them, 8' wide trailers need the truck mirrors extended out to see around the trailer. The wider the trailer the easier it is to catch and break the truck back windows or damage the trailer if you jack knife to sharply.

Trailer height is another option.  Mfg use less metal to build a 7' trailer vs a 7'6 or 8' tall trailer.  Won't matter much to most horses. But makes a huge difference to you when you sleep in the Gooseneck area and want to sit up with out hitting your head.

The other options that you will be offered in trailer designed for camping is mangers for the horses and under manger storage.  This is great storage and I don't think you can get enough storage space.  On the narrower trailers, your mangers need to be narrower than on a 8' wide trailer.  Managers do add weight to the trailer, They do reduce some of the options inside the trailer.  With out managers I can fold divider panels against the front wall and make larger stalls. I've done this to crowd 3 horses into two stalls when I've needed to haul an extra horse. This is not practical with the managers

LQ come in a variety of choices.  Slide outs over a LOT more space, But add weight and complexity to trailers.  Good and cheap, probably doesn't include slide outs.  Custom builders put in sold wood cabinets and lots of neat amenities.  Production interiors mostly use prebuilt or Partical baord cabinets that have a wood veneer or vinyl veneer that replicates wood.  Good and cheap means that you are probably looking at the production based interiors.

Good luck.

1JesterCL65
Reg. May 2011
Posted 2011-05-04 1:52 PM (#133816 - in reply to #133808)

I appreciate the help, however, do you have thoughts on brands of trailers that are good and ones to be weary of?  Slides are not important to me for a horse trailer, they are very nice, but for what we plan to do, being inside will be for sleeping and storage.  A fridge/cooktop/ and microwave is nice, and I would prefer those, a cowboy shower is sufficient and the other things can be dealt with.  My concern is finding a good trailer, with a good floor that I have peace of mind when I am going down the road and not having to worry about the safety of the horses.

There are many trailers that are available, and finding a good and cheap one will be difficult, but finding a good one that is affordable is much more possible.  Do you have any recommendations of what to look for when viewing used trailers, what should I be cautious of? 

Thanks again.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-05-04 9:57 PM (#133834 - in reply to #133808)

Expert

There are numerous regional manufactures you may want to consider. What part of the country are you in?

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2011-05-04 11:44 PM (#133840 - in reply to #133808)

Elite Veteran

My personal preference is one that is paid for. If you go back and read previous threads you will learn a lot about different trailers. Asking for preferences of trailer manufacturers is like asking preference in make of truck, breed of horse, or even which state is the best to live in. All kinds of different opinions. What is best for you, may not be for someone else.A good start is go to a horse show or campground and talk to people about their trailers. Most people will honestly tell you what they like and don't like about theirs and other trailers. Have them show you what they are talking about. You can also get a good idea about what you want and/or need in your trailer.

Good Luck in your search!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)