'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll short box vs long box for gooseneck

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-17 6:47 PM
5 replies, 7289 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-04-15 8:01 PM (#133031)
Subject: short box vs long box for gooseneck

Veteran

I have a long box but am trying to get a newer truck, I am haveing one H of a time finding an extended cab with 8' box in my price range $20,000 for 3/4 ton.  I am thinking I might have to settle for a 6 1/2' box.  How many of you use short boxes?   I have room for a 55 gallon water drum behind my window and can still jacknife my trailer with 8' box.  I hear about difficulty turning and backing and broken back windows, is it all that bad??  my trailer is an older featherlite with full nose -

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2011-04-15 10:09 PM (#133038 - in reply to #133031)
Subject: RE: short box vs long box for gooseneck

Expert

I had a 6.5 bed for my gooseneck trailer and it work just fine. The hitch  is over the rear axle of the truck
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-04-15 10:20 PM (#133042 - in reply to #133031)

Veteran

I had a Hawk GN with a bit of a tapered nose that I pulled with my short box 1/2 ton Silverado. I didn't have too much trouble though did make a few creases in the truck's bumper with the steel flange that sticks out in front of the body of the Hawk. No broken windows.

More important would be making sure whatever truck and trailer you get are a good match. You just have to be careful when turning and backing up. I didn't really find it restrictive but also tried not to get into tight quarters.
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-16 6:54 AM (#133046 - in reply to #133031)

Extreme Veteran

I have a Dogge 3/4 ton with which I have pulled my 26' 3 horse and 20' stock trailer tens of thousands of miles with no issues. 
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2011-04-16 10:12 AM (#133050 - in reply to #133031)

Elite Veteran

The biggest question is, how wide is your trailer? Ihad an 8' wide Keifer with a slightly taperered nose and pulled it with an F350 Crewcab shortbox that first fall after buying the trailer with no problem. Didn't even think about it. Then when I pulled it out in the spring, as I was going around my horseshoe drive, I looked and the corner was right at my back window. Stopped and got my quick square, measured and was @ 43 degrees. NOT GOOD! Hunted hard for an 8' box truck and have not regretted it since. I can haul more while pulling the trailer, while jackknifing into any spot I want.

My advice, keep looking for that long box truck. You won't regret it.

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-04-17 6:47 PM (#133105 - in reply to #133031)

Extreme Veteran

I have a short bed truck and have pulled a 7'x18" Titan trailer and an 8'x21" Sidekick trailer and both trailers have a tapered nose on them.

When I decided to start looking for my current trailer, I had a friend let me pull his 8x26' full square nose just to see what I thought of having a square nose and 8' wide. I decided I didn't want a short bed truck with a full square nose with a 7' wide or 8'. It can be done but I was afraid someday I'd forget and break out a window. Kinda like a friend of mine forgot to put the tailgate down after unhitching and bent it all to heck.

With a tapered nose trailer, it works fine and I've never had any problems with a 7' or 8" wide so I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying a short bed with a tapered nose.

When I was looking for my truck I wanted the full size like I had but I found a steal of a deal on a short bed that was too good to pass up so I bought it.

One thing I can say I noticed is that I think my full size 1983 F250 had a better ride than my F250 2002 short bed that I bought 2 years old. I do think the full size has a better ride but parking is easier with the short bed.

If the truck was my primary driving vehicle or I had a larger trailer, I would hold out for a long bed unless you run into a great deal.

When I couldn't find something once, I advertised in my local papers a wanted ad and received 6 calls and one had what I wanted. Or talk to some of your local car dealers and let them know what you want and they can be looking for you.

I looked several months for my last truck and trailer and my patience paid off for me and I got exactly what I wanted. When you do a lot of looking you know what you want in the end and you'll know the right one for you when you find it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)