'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Please educate me about trucks

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-01 7:05 PM
7 replies, 5393 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rriddick
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-03-30 2:04 PM (#132376)
Subject: Please educate me about trucks

I am searching for a trailer currently to haul my one horse to local events and the occasional longer haul, 2-3 hours over some inclines but not major mountains. I will be getting a 2 horse trailer, most likely bumper pull without a dressing room but 7'6" height. My horse is 15.3 but likes a roomier trailer to load. So this will not be a super heavy trailer. I am also looking for a truck. I have heard conflicting advice as to whether I will need a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. I want to be safe but am on a budget so also do not want to do overkill for hauling a trailer this size. If there are experienced haulers who could lend some advice that would be great. Can I get away with a 1500, if so what engine size? If a 3/4 ton is a better idea, diesel or gas for my purposes and what engine size is best? Any other factors or features to consider when looking for a used truck like this? Thanks in advance.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-03-30 6:34 PM (#132385 - in reply to #132376)
Subject: RE: Please educate me about trucks

Expert

In general terms, Yes you probably can tow a 2h bumper pull with a 1/2 ton.

But if you want to be safe, do your shoping and buy your trailer, Once you have the trailer, See what it actually weighs.  Compare that number to the trucks you are considering.

You didn't say whether you are buying new or use. But in the used truck market, there is not a lot of difference cost wise between a 1500 and 2500. In fact you can probably find a 2500 cheaper than some 1500 if you just shop around.  The 3/4 ton will give you better brakes and possibly a larger engine.

Diesel is nice for towing, But a gas engine will surely tow most 2h bumper pull trailers. Gas engines in the same truck as diesel, will be several thousand $ cheaper. You can buy a lot of gas for the difference in cost if you don't need the power.

Several decades ago I pulled an old steel 4h bumper pull with a 1/2 truck.  I would grind up steep grades at 30mph that I now roar up at 65 pulling my much larger GN trailer.  I really enjoy the modern diesels, but if I had to, I know I could still haul my horses if I returned to the old equipment I once had.

My advice,  Buy your trailer first then buy a truck that is suiteable for it. As soon as you buy a 1/2 truck first, you'l end up with a deal on Gooseneck that is too large for the 1/2 ton.

TBchick
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-03-31 5:40 PM (#132454 - in reply to #132376)

Regular

I am new to trailering too. I ended up with a 3/4 ton Chevy and am towing a 2500lb Featherlite. When it's empty, I can't even feel it back there. In that respect, I feel I overdid it on the truck side, but I fall into the better safe than sorry category. Like the previous poster said, in the used truck market, prices aren't that different. I looked for months, but ended up scoring a very nice 3/4 ton for less than many of the 1/2 tons out there with similar mileage. Ultimately, as long as you're not maxing out your trucks towing abilities, it comes down to what kind of mileage you're hoping to get.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-03-31 7:07 PM (#132459 - in reply to #132376)

Expert

You can also tow that 2 horse bumper pull with a Tahoe or Suburban...
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-03-31 10:12 PM (#132466 - in reply to #132376)

Expert

Originally written by Rriddick on 2011-03-30 2:04 PM

I am searching for a trailer currently to haul my one horse to local events and the occasional longer haul, 2-3 hours over some inclines but not major mountains. I will be getting a 2 horse trailer, most likely bumper pull without a dressing room but 7'6" height. My horse is 15.3 but likes a roomier trailer to load. So this will not be a super heavy trailer. I am also looking for a truck. I have heard conflicting advice as to whether I will need a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. I want to be safe but am on a budget so also do not want to do overkill for hauling a trailer this size. If there are experienced haulers who could lend some advice that would be great. Can I get away with a 1500, if so what engine size? If a 3/4 ton is a better idea, diesel or gas for my purposes and what engine size is best? Any other factors or features to consider when looking for a used truck like this? Thanks in advance.

Welcom to the board....

First off in my opinion I would step back and think about this a little while before you buy something.  Think about what your plans are this year and what you may be doing the next few years.  With the cost of trucks this is a major step (even if your are looking at used trucks).  So if you think maybe down the road you need or want a little larger trailer your best bet is to buy a 3/4 ton truck.

If you take the same type truck in a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton the price is not going to be that much difference and the fuel mileage either.  The 3/4 ton will/should have plenty of engine, better cooling system, larger brakes and more or less set up for towing.  On the 1/2 ton truck you will have to find a truck with the larger engine which will have a better cooling system, but still have smaller brakes.

As far the truck, for what you are needing I would stay with a gas rig and I would look at the GM trucks with the 6.0 motor.  I am all Dodge (DIESEL) and Ford (older DIESEL and V/10's or older 460's)  You could not give me a Dodge gas truck at all, see too many of them at the auctions with noisy motors.

Rriddick
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-04-01 6:27 AM (#132480 - in reply to #132376)

Thanks for all the Info so far guys! To answer someone's question, I am looking for USED...in fact have a pretty harsh budget of about 10k so this is going to have to be an older truck. TBchick, sounds like you are doing very similar hauling as me. Did you get your truck deal from a private party or dealer? If you got it from an individual, how did you find out if the truck was in good shape mechanically? I am unfortunately not mechanical and neither is the man in my life :)Hogtownboss, I do not think I'll ever be getting a larger trailer. One main reason is that our farm entrance is very narrow and it's very hard to get anything other than a 2 horse bumper pull in without serious maneuvering. However, I want to be totally safe with the 2 horse bp I do get and don't want to regret the truck purchase...like you say it's a big investment. My other question would be, given my small budget what is the best thing to look for? How many miles on a gas engine is too many, or is diesel the better option since I have to go higher mileage? Thanks again for the help!
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-04-01 5:15 PM (#132510 - in reply to #132480)

Expert

Originally written by Rriddick on 2011-04-01 6:27 AM

Thanks for all the Info so far guys! To answer someone's question, I am looking for USED...in fact have a pretty harsh budget of about 10k so this is going to have to be an older truck. TBchick, sounds like you are doing very similar hauling as me. Did you get your truck deal from a private party or dealer? If you got it from an individual, how did you find out if the truck was in good shape mechanically? I am unfortunately not mechanical and neither is the man in my life :)Hogtownboss, I do not think I'll ever be getting a larger trailer. One main reason is that our farm entrance is very narrow and it's very hard to get anything other than a 2 horse bumper pull in without serious maneuvering. However, I want to be totally safe with the 2 horse bp I do get and don't want to regret the truck purchase...like you say it's a big investment. My other question would be, given my small budget what is the best thing to look for? How many miles on a gas engine is too many, or is diesel the better option since I have to go higher mileage? Thanks again for the help!

I am in the used car/truck buisness and can tell you an individual will stick it too ya' just as bad as some dealers can.......

With around a 10-k budget you should be able to find a bargan on a good mileage gas truck.  Depending on the condition and how you keep a vehicle you should be able to get 200-k out of a gas truck with ease.  I have bought and sold many with 150-k to well over 200-k that was still in great condition.  In my opinion diesel is always the best way to go but some folks just can not justify the extra expense for them not to mention the higher fuel cost now.  With the little driving and lighter weight you will have I would stick with a gas truck.  If you was around North Texas I could send you some dealers that I trust that would treat you right.

TBchick
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-04-01 7:05 PM (#132513 - in reply to #132480)

Regular

I did get my trailer from a private party. I did a smart thing and looked in the dead of winter when nobody else was looking. It landed me a very nice Featherlite in great condition. (other than a roof leak I will be posting about once I find it) I was very nervous about buying private party. I'm very new to this stuff and didn't know what to look for other than the floors. I was going to put a contingency in my deal that the trailer be checked out first before purchase, but the seller offered to get it serviced anyway so it became a non issue. What I've learned so far is that the batteries for emergency breaks tend to go dead after a long cold winter, so that would be something to have checked, and to check the corners of the floors more than the center because that's where the urine flows most of the time. If you do go private party, ask a zillion questions so you don't waste your time. Make sure they are the height and width you want, find out if you'll be able to take it for a drive or if it's buried in mud, etc. If I hadn't found one locally, I was planning on taking a trip up to Wills in Maine. Looks like they have a very large inventory up there. Equinesite.com has a lot of good ones by private party. Also, don't forget to budget about $500 for registration since they will find out what you paid and charge you sales tax. No more writing up a phony bill of sale for $1,000.

As far as the truck, I haven't even gone on my first trip with my horse in the trailer, and I'm already dreaming about camping in a gooseneck. I am glad I got a 3/4 ton. I ended up with a Chevy with the 6.0 engine, 91K miles for just under 11,000. It was a find, but they are out there. Just pick one of those towns that has a car row, Wallingford, Milford, New London and hit every lot. That's how I found mine. Went out for cookie dough, found the truck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)