'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fabricating an Escape Door

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-03-22 5:07 AM
0 replies, 2166 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

River19
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-03-22 5:07 AM (#131965)
Subject: Fabricating an Escape Door

We have a 1991 Cotner 2 horse BP that we picked up last summer for relatively short money ($1500).  I needed something road worthy to pick up our horse in MD and bring him to the farm in RI where we board;  I immediately swapped out the tires and had the brakes rebuilt and installed bearing buddies etc.  So the rolling parts are looking good at this point.

Now cosmetically there are some things I need to do but the biggest issue is one of the escape doors has a core that has rotted out and the sheet metal has been tweaked a little etc.  The door needs to be replaced.  Cotner wants $575 for a door.....I would rather not pay $575 for the door.

Looking at the door, it appears to be a wooden core sandwiched between two thin aluminum skins capped all around with metal trim.  I can probably build this myself.  I can score sheet aluminum (or Diamond plate) for about $150 for the door and the wood core can be sourced with little effort.  The thing I'm worried about is saving the trim to hold it together and match up with the full length Cotner hinge system.

Am I crazy to attempt this?  Any sources for the metal trim pieces you guys know about?  It looks like it just unscrews from the wooden core of the door.

Maybe I just like biting off more than I can chew.......kinda like spending 50 straight weekends building a log cabin...but that is another story.

Any help? 

Thanks,

Steve

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'