'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer dimensions & weight, truck recommendations

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-03-22 7:04 PM
2 replies, 4209 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

janeven
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-03-22 7:51 AM (#131971)
Subject: Trailer dimensions & weight, truck recommendations

New User

I am looking to buy an aluminum 2-horse slant with tack area, bumper pull. What is typical height, width and weight fully loaded? Would I need a 3/4 ton truck to pull it, or would 1/2 ton be enough? I want to be safe but I don't want more truck than I really need. thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-03-22 10:11 AM (#131978 - in reply to #131971)
Subject: RE: Trailer dimensions & weight, truck recommendations

Expert

Go to the forum one below this one and read the trailer company news.  The lates post is about a Toyota Tundra towing a 2 horse bumper pull.    The toyota is a 1/2 ton pickup and I think most of what is discussed there will help to educate you.  Compare what ever 1/2 truck you own or are considering buying to the specs of the Toyota and compare you bumper pull trailer to the trailer used in that example.

Back before I bought goosenecks, I pulled several bumper pull trailers behind Ford F150. Those trucks back then didn't have near the towing capabilities that todays modern 1/2 ton pickups boast. You will also need to look at what type of towing you will be doing. Shorts trips to the local vet over flat ground. Absolutely no problem towing s 2H bumper pull behind a 1/2 ton.  Cross state trips to weekend shows, With the truck loaded to the hilt with hay, water, people and a full load of horses, climbing serious mountain passes, Probably not the right choice. 

flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-03-22 7:04 PM (#131991 - in reply to #131978)
Subject: RE: Trailer dimensions & weight, truck recommendations

Veteran

I've towed a gooseneck with my half ton but knew I really needed more pulling power, heavier shock absorber system and most importantly stopping power. Instead of a bigger truck I'm going to a lighter bumper pull. Haven't found it yet, though.

Does your truck have a towing package? I'd say that was critical with a half ton. How about a weight-distributing hitch to provide more stability to your bumper pull? Good luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)