'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Advice on Which Rig??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-03-22 3:30 PM
12 replies, 7006 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2010-10-20 7:10 PM (#126073)
Subject: Advice on Which Rig??

Veteran

Ok, I need everyone's advice.

We currently use a Brenderup which we tow with my SUV with great results. We love the Brenderup and have no complaints/issues with it.

We want to start going on some weekend trail rides and have started wishing that we had some kind of small living quarters/weekender setup.

SO, we are considering the following two options:

1. purchase a small, used, Class C RV and tow the Brenderup with it.

2. sell the Brenderup and start over, purchase a used pick-up truck and a used gooseneck with some kind of living quarters/weekender package.

Any comments? Ideas? Anyone here have experience towing a horse trailer with an RV?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Reposted with paragraphs! Makes it easier to read.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-10-20 7:29 PM (#126075 - in reply to #126073)
Subject: RE: Advice on Which Rig??

Expert

Best part of a LQ trailer with a p/u truck is having the truck to get around without having to break camp.   Also handy to have a vehicle to carry stuff around.  Hay to the barn, water to the camp site, and most important... A trip to town when one gets tired of cooking & dish clean-up.

kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2010-10-20 9:52 PM (#126081 - in reply to #126075)

It is handy to have the truck for errands, or getting out to explore the area more. Having an RV let's you camp in other situations, although I have camped in the horse trailer in non-horse camps, lol. I loved my Brenderup while I had it but eventually worked my way up to a GN and a diesel. Good luck with your choice, whichever way you go!
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-10-21 10:56 AM (#126116 - in reply to #126073)

Veteran

I prefer the truck and trailer combination for the reasons cited by the earlier posters. Like the one other poster, I also use my LQ horse trailer just like anybody else uses a fifth wheel.
nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-10-21 2:33 PM (#126120 - in reply to #126073)

Veteran

The best answer is "It depends."

It depends on if you are going to only use the "tow" vehicle when you take your horses.  If that's the case, then get the LQ.  If you might take weekend trips or go on longer vacations, then the used Class C would be the better choice.

With the market still soft for motorized RV's you could probably get one for very cheap.

As far as brands, I would recommend either a Winnebego/Itasca or a Jayco.  I would stay away from anything from Fleetwood built in the 2000's since the company was on the verge of going under for most of the last decade and their quality in the C's suffered.  The Four Winds brand isn't bad either.

cliffj59
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-10-21 3:44 PM (#126121 - in reply to #126073)

Regular

Well I just went through this myself, we already own a diesel truck and a 3 Horse Sundowner with a nice weekender package but was looking for a little more room. I couldnt make myself go in debt for another horse trailer and trade mine in so I bought me a class A 32' motorhome and pull my WW 2 horse trailer. The motorhome market right now is a buyers market some really good deals out there. We hooked up and pulled my Gaited mule to Benson Mule Days last month which is a 4 1/2 hour trip each way. Everything went real smooth couldnt tell the trailer was back there. When we got there I started noticeing just how many people pull with a motorhome, and some of the rigs looked down right scary to be pulling down a public road.

We do alot of camping with friends at Love Valley and there is always a truck to run to the store in so the run around truck not a problem there. We also kept the diesel and Sundowner trailer to go the isolated areas to ride and have a way to run around.

Right now I enjoy the motorhome/2horse trailer best because of all the room that my horse trailer dosent have. 

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-10-21 4:47 PM (#126122 - in reply to #126073)

Elite Veteran

It depends on your budget. I've had both...I had a 32 foot class A and pulled a 4 horse stock. When it was windy, forget going faster than 50-55 mph. In camp it was difficult getting into places, turning/backing isn't like a gooseneck. Another downfall is you do not have a truck for extra water, camping things, chairs etc., and being able to explore the area including finding a store because you forgot to pack certain essentials. Also, a motorhome will literally rot when continually exposed to the elements. Insurance is usually higher in a motorhome for just that reason, it has a motor. Aluminum horse trailers have issues too, but not like motorhomes. This is just my opinion.......You do what is right for you....

Edited by Gone 2010-10-21 4:49 PM
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-10-21 4:54 PM (#126123 - in reply to #126073)

Elite Veteran

As far as comfort goes, I am just as comfortable if not more in my horse trailer as I was in my motorhome. Not all motorhomes have basements for storage. And it was another motor to maintain....

I'm done being negative.....sorry, just my 2 cents.

Edited by Gone 2010-10-21 4:58 PM
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-10-23 10:02 AM (#126172 - in reply to #126073)

Elite Veteran

I would also consider what kind of driving you will be doing when hauling horses. If you doing alot of highway or freeway driving, you will probably be happier with a truck and LQ gooseneck trailer for the stability and ability to maintain highway speeds. A motorhome and bumper pull will be more top-heavy and you may not be able to sustain highway/freeway speeds.

Also consider if you will be traveling solo or as part of a group. If you are solo you may want/need to be able to separate the tow rig and go run errands or make day trips. If you are part of a group, its easy to borrow somebody's truck if you decide to go the motorhome route.

Edited by headhunter 2010-10-23 10:05 AM
Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2011-03-20 4:48 PM (#131888 - in reply to #126073)

Veteran

Well, we're still looking! Spring is here and the clubs we belong to have several weekend, camp out trail rides scheduled. We cannot attend with our current SUV/Brenderup rig.We have thought about renting a motor home to see if we like using it. You can also rent living quarter horse trailers but you need a truck to haul it with. Should we rent a truck AND a trailer to see how we like that?Of course in both cases, the rig you rent is probably going to be a LOT nicer, newer, and more expensive then what we can afford to purchase.HELP!
Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2011-03-20 4:53 PM (#131889 - in reply to #126073)

Veteran

Forgot to insert paragraphs!

Well, we're still looking! Spring is here and the horse clubs we belong to have several weekend, camp out trail rides scheduled. We cannot attend with our current SUV/Brenderup rig.

We have thought about renting a motor home to see if we like using it. You can also rent living quarter horse trailers but you need a truck to haul it with. Should we rent a truck AND a trailer to see how we like that?

Of course in both cases, the rig you rent is going to be a LOT nicer, newer, and more expensive then what we can afford to purchase.

To answer one question, basically all of our traveling will be done on highways, we'll only be on smaller roads going in/out of the city and once we get to our destination.

HELP!

northernmom
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-03-21 9:43 AM (#131914 - in reply to #131889)

Regular

We have a homemade smaller RV - it`s an E350 diesel and was previously an ambulance.  We have a bed, sink with running water, fridge, porta-potty and a  Coleman stove and BBQ for cooking.  The only thing we don`t have is a shower, but either campgrounds have that or we do sponge-baths.  Works great, the downside being that I can`t put horse stuff like hay, etc. in it, hence my getting a 3H slant so I`ll have room for horse stuff.

Like previous posters have said, if you think you might do any other camping w/out horses then the smaller RV is great.  Especially for long trips when you might find you`re getting too tired, or if you hit bad weather, we can just pull into a WalMart or truck stop and stay there, v.s. having to get to home or finding a motel. 

The key here is to stay with the smaller RV.  We often travel with friends who have a 40` motorhome.  Great to gather in theirs for meals, etc. but then we all pile into our smaller rig for that run into town.

We have friends who bought a used Itasca - just about the same size as our RV.  I thought it was very nice and they love it.  We also have friends who have a Roadtrek and tow a car trailer with it (probably heavier than your Brenderup) - not sure how much $$$ they are, though.

If you can rent both options I`d say go for it.  If they are nicer than you can afford just keep that in mind and focus on the livability/workability of each.

That being said, I have no experience with trucks and/or goosenecks so I can`t speak on them.

Good luck!

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-03-22 3:30 PM (#131987 - in reply to #126073)

Extreme Veteran

If you get a motorhome and pull the Brenderup, where will you haul hay, feed, water, etc for an extended camping trip? We were gone all of last week, Saturday AM through next weekend Sunday PM . We went both pleasure camping and to a competion with a stop through the house inbetween on Wednesday to wash clothes and refill hay/feed. Had to carry our water also. 1500 miles total driving and 8 days or partial days camped with 2 horses in a 3 horse LQ slant and we were loaded down with essentials.
You can go now with a tent, ice chest and coleman stove until you decide what rig to purchase. This might help make up your mind as you watch other people camp.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)