'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
A few Featherlite Questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-03-20 8:22 AM
1 replies, 3102 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TBchick
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-03-19 11:01 PM (#131860)
Subject: A few Featherlite Questions

Regular

I recently bought a Featherlite 2 horse BP, model 9407. The hitch that the trailer store sold me is rated for 6000lbs, and tongue weight is 600lbs. This trailer is rated for 7000 loaded and does not give a tongue weight value. The trailer weighs 2500 empty. Should I have a heavier rated hitch than this?

Also this trailer came with the attachments for weight distribution bars. Should I be using them? I'm pulling this trailer with a 3/4 ton Chevy. I can't even feel the trailer back there, so I know I've got plenty of overkill on the truck side. I'm only asking because someone at my barn asked me why I was not using them? Nobody else at my barn uses them for their BP trailers, but I am brand spanking new to trailering and want to make sure I'm okay with the way I'm set up.

Man, the only thing worse than learning about trailering is the many many different opinions that are volunteered to you about how to set up your hitch!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul D
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2011-03-20 8:22 AM (#131869 - in reply to #131860)
Subject: RE: A few Featherlite Questions

Regular

It is probably not required that you use the weight transfer bars. And if you do use them you will need a set that is sized for your trailer, maybe about an 800 pound rating, they come in ratings up to 1400 pounds. I have seen one incident where the trailer tongue collapsed when a set of weight transfer bars with a 1400 pound rating were used on a light weight trailer. If you were pulling the trailer with a SUV or 1/2 ton pickup you would probably want to use weight transfer bars. Weight transfer bars do provide additional stability in some situations such as high wind if you have an empty trailer. I speak from experience on that subject, I almost flipped a new bumper pull RV trailer over on I-80 in Iowa about 7-8 years ago. I did not have the weight transfer bars on at the time. Most of the drivers who deliver new RV trailers will use the weight transfer bars for that reason.

Hope this helps, Paul

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)