'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Modifications

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-01-22 10:52 PM
3 replies, 4986 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JoseyWales
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-09 7:51 PM (#63539)
Subject: Trailer Modifications

New User

Our last camping trip was a good one but there is no tack area in the trailer so everything goes in te bed of the truck. The trailer is a stock trailer that holds 3 horses perfectly. And there is unused space in the front right corner. All of our gear (people and horse and dog) goes in the truck bed, and last time it barely fit, and to make things better it poured rain. All of our stuff on the top got soaked including our saddles. That prompted me to look at some trailers and I noticed that some people had made their own tack areas. I just want the dead space in the trailer (if even that), to put some collapsable racks for the saddles and some bridle hooks. Some box shelves for brushes. I've got the resources to do this and I just wanted to know how i should attach the dividing wall to the trailer. Since it is a stock I could drill some holes and chain it to the trailer (the side slats and a froth window). But I did not know if anyone had any other ways of attaching the wall to the trailer. Could I screw it to the trailer? Since I'm only 17 I didn't know if my drill could do that through metal. I really don't want to ruin it. ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED! !Someone suggested putting saddle racks on the scess door (on the side) and seeing if the stock divider would swing to be the dividing wall. I am open to any suggestions! Thanks in advance,Josie :)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rebelcowboy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-07-09 8:26 PM (#63541 - in reply to #63539)
Subject: RE: Trailer Modifications

Hey welcome to the forum. First of all, I dont recomend chaining a wall to the trailer. Second, what are you planning to make the wall out of? I wouldnt recomend something that is going on the butt side of the horse (I assume) be made out of anything other than metal. Typical trailer walls are 1 5/8" x 3" posts spaced about 16" on center with a .100" kick plate upto 4' with .063" above that. The main reason I say this, is that if a horse kicks it fr some reason, you dont want them to be putting a hoof through it, you wont know about it until you get to where ever you are going. Let me know if you need any other help.

Edited by rebelcowboy 2007-07-09 8:29 PM
JoseyWales
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-10 12:25 PM (#63584 - in reply to #63539)

New User

I was going to see if the stock divider would swing up to be the "tack room" wall. The horse's butt wouldn't be in kicking distance. It is up in the very front right corner. It is a bumperpull. I will try to get some pictures. I had planned on reinforcing the wall whatever it turns out to be. Thanks for the info... it helped.thanks,Josie
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2011-01-22 10:52 PM (#129156 - in reply to #63539)

Expert

I would actually use a good thick plywood in the "kick area". In my old trailer I built a rear tack out of pylwood. It was simple. You could attatch it to the framing of the trailer. Predrill the holes and use a drill bit made for metal. Self tapping screws work too but I still predrill with those.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)