'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Roundup Campground at Theodore Roosevelt Park

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-12-15 9:50 AM
8 replies, 5492 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-12-04 8:12 PM (#127783)
Subject: Roundup Campground at Theodore Roosevelt Park

Veteran

Any body been there? General Information? What are the best dates to go?  I know about the Request for Reservations first Monday in March deal and that the first two weeks in June are very hard to get. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2010-12-06 10:01 AM (#127826 - in reply to #127783)
Subject: RE: Roundup Campground at Theodore Roosevelt Park

Extreme Veteran

I've been there, but never stayed there. It would be a great place to camp if you had a group of, say, 2 to 5 rigs. Corrals, water, picnic shelter, middle of TR NP with access to marked trails, unmarked trails, and off-trail riding. It's very private, since the whole camp is reserved.
DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-12-08 8:48 PM (#127907 - in reply to #127783)

Veteran

Actually it is difficult to get any time. We have been there many times. You are allowed a max stay of 5 nights. Water and an out-house but camp is clean. Ranger comes by every day. Great riding but if it rains, trails become very slick.
DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-12-08 8:53 PM (#127908 - in reply to #127783)

Veteran

I should have read the other post.  The Camp is at the north side of the Park - less than 1/2 mile from the fence.  Room for 6 - 7 units with no problems.  We have stay in Roundup Camp 10 - 12 times over the years, including the past two years.
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-12-10 6:17 PM (#127947 - in reply to #127908)

Veteran

Are there many gaits at that end?  I rode some in the southern unit and there were several gaits to open and close.  I am going to send in for mid May early June, I can't get enough of my friends to committ so if I get lucky and win a week I will post for like minded company that may want to join.  Would rather go with people familar with the area anyway.  Last summer I ran into a rattle snake and a buffalo, not much expierence with either coming from upper Michigan. 
DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-12-11 10:05 AM (#127955 - in reply to #127947)

Veteran

If you are inside the Park at Round-up Camp - South Unit - there are no gates to open. Time of year you are talking, buffalo will have calves - STAY AWAY. They do not share well!

As to rattle snakes, they are just about every where. Seeing them is very common. You do not want to surprise them. Apparently they do not have a sense of humor.

The Park is well patroled and you can not kill a snake, play or chase any of the animals, take anything from the Park, etc.. The Rangers will write you a ticket. NO WARNINGS!

They claim to get several hundred request for the Camp. Remember, there are only about 20 weeks of summer so the odds are slim.

If you are so inclined, the North unit is not used much and there Little Missouri State Park and Sully State Park that is available. I have stayed at Sully several times is iis a nice Park - south of Medora.

Wish you well.
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-12-12 2:58 PM (#127983 - in reply to #127783)

Veteran

Thanks DLR I will look into Little Missouri.  I sayed at Sulley Creek last summer, Nice level and clean, they provide a wheel barrel and water is right next to the metal pens, shower was extra. I didn't see any drive thru spots.  There were only two other rigs in the whole park when I was there, (mid week) My rig is small with truck total of 42'  I backed into the only spot with shade the back tires on my rig were about three feet off the pavement in a gravel area - but the park ranger made me disconnet my truck to fit in the pavement area. I try my best to comply with rules and I normally can get along but to me that was petty.  I was there two days, it was hot so I just took short 4 hour ride from     6 am to 10 - I had to listen to the lawn mower for two days and the grass wasn't long, you really had to look to see any length of grass cut.   Alot of prime real estate wasted on lawn IMO. No attemps at planting extra trees were in process.  It seems like they want to cater to "people" camping and not horse camping.  The other two people campgrounds in Medora were packed.   
DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-12-14 6:15 AM (#128018 - in reply to #127983)

Veteran

Sully Park Mgr Roger is a retired ND Highway Patrol and some times he can be a pain. We normally ask him to ride with us and share meals so he gets nicer! Go figure. We never stay for more than a night or to. One major problem with all of North Dakota - my wife is from there and her parents & siblings still live in the State, the weather is never good. Too hot, too wet, too clod, etc. May be why only abot 600,000 people live in the state.

Hope you get drawn for Round-up Camp.
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2010-12-15 9:50 AM (#128054 - in reply to #128018)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by DLR on 2010-12-14 6:15 AM One major problem with all of North Dakota, the weather is never good.
The perpetuation of that rumor by is much to the advantage of us residents who enjoy the wide-open spaces. 

In all seriousness, though, there is usually a huge weather difference between May and June in North Dakota. Not that we haven't had beautiful Memorial Day weekends in the past, but in general, you'll have way better weather in the middle of June.

Edited by jdzaharia 2010-12-15 9:52 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)