'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Big South Fork

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-10-11 1:26 PM
16 replies, 10329 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-09-02 11:18 AM (#124315)
Subject: Big South Fork

Extreme Veteran

Live in Texas and have never been there. Heard it is great. Can you guys tell me about riding there, where to camp, best access roads etc? Also is there an East Fork? and is that different? Any information about any of that area is good. We are thinking of taking a 2 week vacation there next summer. We like electrical/water hook up camping. Prefer corrals so we can leave horses and go sight seeing some.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Summerset93
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-09-02 5:19 PM (#124324 - in reply to #124315)
Subject: RE: Big South Fork

Summerset93
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-09-02 6:04 PM (#124326 - in reply to #124315)

In my humble opinion, Big South Fork is the absolutely best single park to ride in the southeast!  It's about a 3 hour drive for me to get there, and I'll try go 6 or 7 times a year.  I never get tired of it.  The trails vary from flat to gently rolling (if you say up on the plateau) to steeper and rocky (if you ride down into the gorge). 

The Big South Fork does a good job of keeping the trails maintained both through the use of paid park maintenance personnel as well as a good number of volunteers to work on the trails.   There are 180 +/- miles of horse trails in the Park, most of which are designated horse trails (horses and hikers only) but some being multi use (bicycle, wagon/carriage, horse and hike).  They are really trying to minimize ATV and off road vehicle usage in the Park, so you don't really have alot of encounters with those types of vehicles except on a few designated ORV trails (which are really more like dirt roads, not alot of fun to ride horseback anyway).  There are many rock formations, caves and overlooks in the Park.

Places to stay - (1) Bandy Creek Stables is located in the "heart" of the southern portion of the Park.  The stables are operated by concessionaires (Gretta and Bobby Gene York) but the property is owned by (and located inside of) the park itself.  The campground is owned and operated by the National Park Service and is located about 1/4 mile from the stables (unfortunately you can't camp with your horse).  The stalls are supurb, I never worry about my horse being left in one of the stalls even thought I'm a little ways away.  They also offer outside pens (4 corral panels arranged in a box, not covered) which I prefer to avoid if at all possible.  They do have a couple of pens for rent which would accomodate a couple of horses each.  Those are also not covered, so they get muddy if they've had very much rain.  The advantage to staying here is you have direct access to many trails in the southern portion without the need to trailer your horse.  (2) True West Campground & Stables is located on the western edge of the park.  This is on private land with a 1 mile horse trail to access the Park (you have to ride that same mile in and out every day just to get to the Park).  They offer covered stalls and maybe a pen or two.  The stalls are adequate, but not quite as nice as those at Bandy Creek.  (3)  Saddle Valley Campground and Stables is also located on the western edge of the park (just down the road from True West).  This is also on private land with a 1+ mile horse trail to access the Park (again, ride the same trail in and out every time).  They also offer stalls but have some nice roomy paddocks and small pastures. Probably the best choice for horse pens, but not the best for trail access.  (4) Timber Ridge Campground Stables is located on the very western-most edge of the park directly adjoining the Park.  Stalls are adequate, but I don't know if they have any pens.  You can access a couple of trails directly from camp, but most of the trails are located far enough away that you'd want to trailer your horses out.  (5)  Honey Creek Horse Camp and Zenith Horse Camps - both are private campgrounds/stables located on the southern edge of the park.  Used to be there was not much riding available in the area, but the Park has been developing more trails down there.  They are probably the 2 most remote campgrounds in the park.  (6) Station Camp Horse Camp and Bear Creek Horse Camp are designated horse camps located on the eastern edge of BSF (Station Camp to the south and Bear Creek to the north).  Both are located inside Park boundaries and operated by concessionaires.  These horse camps offer pipe stalls and/or high lines at the back of each site (no stalls or pens) -- not the best idea if you're planning on leaving the horses unattended for hours.  There are quite a few private cabins with stalls for rent in the area, but all are located on private land.  For my money, I would stay at Bandy Creek (the stalls get reserved fast, so call early during peak seasons).

East Fork is a privately owned facility located 20 or so miles west of Big South Fork.  They do offer decent stalls and campground.  They do charge a fee to day-ride if you're not camping with them.  I have ridden those trails once and have never been back.  I just can't justify paying to ride trails when I can travel another 30 minutes and ride nicer trails for free!

If you do plan to come to Big South Fork, invest in a Trails Illustrated map (put out by National Geographic).  Big South Fork does a good job of signage on the trails.  Combined with the TI map, you really don't need a guide to find your way around. 

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-09-03 7:32 AM (#124332 - in reply to #124315)

Extreme Veteran

We were at Zenith in 2008 and there was a barn with decent stalls.  However it is not very close to the sites.  Within walking distance but not where you could see your horses while sitting around the campfire.

We enjoyed Zenith.  The bath house was nice and there was a multi-purpous room for the campers that had a full kitchen and dining area and TV.  We made use of this quite a bit because it poured down rain for 2 of the 4 days we were there.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-09-03 9:53 AM (#124347 - in reply to #124315)

Extreme Veteran

Great info. This is what I was looking for. I want the place with the best trails. We like the climbing sections and views and rolling hills. Not so concerned with stalls. My horse is big and long and my husbands horse hates stalls. They arent used to 12 X 12 stalls. Pipe pens are actually fine unless it does pour rain every day. We do competitive trail, leaving shortly for a competition this weekend, and our horses are used to tying to the trailer all weekend on Hi Ties. Just dont want to leave them tied while unattended. Main thing is we have electric and water, and just pens are fine.  I have to say being a private land owner myself, around 1700 acres, I can understand the day riding fee for parking and accessing the trails. Our land taxes are phenomenal on our acreage and add on upkeep. We work just to own land. HA HA   Will check into the maps. Does the park not provide a trail map? We are not interested in guides or group rides. If we have a half way map, trail markings and our wrist mount GPS we are okay with getting around and back. I think my  husband's horse would get us back to Texas anyhow, just a long ride. HA HA
honor
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2010-09-04 6:59 PM (#124403 - in reply to #124315)

Regular

I am in complete agreement with Sommerset93.  Absolutely love Big South Fork.  Have been to Shawnee in Illinois which is a close second but you can get around a lot easier in Big South Fork because the trails are marked very well.  We have stayed at Bandy Creek and also a place called Saddle Vallley which has stalls right behind your campsite.  You can access about two or three days of trails from there but we have rented their stock trailer and went over to a road called Divide Road with several trailheads and you can really get deep into South Fork from them.  Saddle Valley is run by a super great couple who have always made our stay memorable. No matter where you stay,  you can't go wrong with Big South Fork. 
yeehaw
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-09-06 7:44 PM (#124471 - in reply to #124315)

Veteran

CTRider...you've got some really correct descriptions of Big South Fork, been going there for 15 years and everyone is rite-on in what they are telling you. Just pick out the campground that you like and go enjoy some of the GREATEST riding around Tn.
Summerset93
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-09-07 5:34 AM (#124477 - in reply to #124347)

Since you're looking for a place with good trails, horse pens (rather than stalls) and water and electric campsites, I would suggest either #1 Bandy Creek or #2 Saddle Valley. Bandy Creek has 15 or 20 outside pens plus 3 or 4 small paddocks. The campground does offer sites with water and electric (no sewer, you have to pull to the dump station). The campsites are well shaded and nice bath houses. They have the best and most direct access to a variety of trails. Saddle Valley has the bigger paddocks and a wooden corral that has been sectioned off into pens. They have water and electric and I think sewer and the sites are pretty well shaded. While the trail access is more limited, if they are renting a stock trailer to transport horses to distant trailheads, that would make this an ideal choice since you wouldn't have to break camp to trailer to remote trail heads. If Ed and Teresa Elam are still running Saddle Valley, they have always seemed very accomodating to their guests.

Many of the camps do provide their own hand-drawn maps showing trails from their campground. They usually show only the trails in their immediate area and would not include more distant trails. The TI map is only $10 or so and shows the entire park. The map is 3' by 4' when unfolded and trails cover both sides. It shows the locations of all the overlooks, many of the rockhouses and color codes the trails between hiker, horse, bike, multi use, road, etc. It really, really, really is worth the purchase price.

I just got back from another weekend at BSF. We finally got our first break in this oppressive heat wave and it fell over Labor Day weekend. How lucky is that?? It looked like all the campgrounds (and stalls) were pretty well full (no surprise at that). Be sure to make your reservations early. Bandy Creek Stables will begin taking reservations on January 1 for 2011 and by noon of that day, some weekends are completely booked. It is the most popular horse facility, so the other places probably don't fill up quite that fast.

Yellow jackets are becoming aggressive and we ran into a couple of nests on the trail on Saturday. Be prepared for that if you are planning to visit between September 1 and around the end of October.
MargaretW
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-08 8:14 AM (#124557 - in reply to #124477)

I'm at BSF right now as it happens.  My first trip and loving every minute of it.  Rode at East Fork yesterday and enjoyed ourselves immensely.  Very nice well marked trails.  Had planned to go to Bandy Creek today but it's raining so not sure if we might just give the horses a break today.  We are staying at Laurel Fork Rustic Retreat.  Rented a cabin with a small barn and turn out right here.  LOVE it.  A little expensive but shared with another couple so not too bad.  Check out their website during your search.  We rode a trail our first day that was quite a challenge.  About 400' straight up a rock!  We're from Florida so our horses are NOT used to that!  But they handled it great.  Don't plan to do that one again and would not have chosen it had we known.  But...it was a hoot.  I definitely would highly recommend this area for a vacation!
Summerset93
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-09-08 3:50 PM (#124599 - in reply to #124557)

Ahh, you rode Yellow Face! That's right out the front door of Laurel Fork Rustic Retreat. Don't let that trail scare you, it's probably the most difficult trail in the park. Now that you have got that one out of the way, everything else will be a dream.

If you have a chance, ride to the Charit Creek Hostel. It's a rustic "hotel" out in the middle of the woods. If you trailer over to Bandy Creek and park in the day area, it's a good day's ride. If you ride down Duncan Hollow Trail first, that gets the hot and dusty part out of the way early. (Watch for nice rock formations/caves on the right as you descend on Duncan Hollow.) That trail will drop you down into the gorge (and to the river if you want to take a short side-trip), then ride the Station Camp Creek Trail directly to the Hostel. Stop there for lunch, then ride the Charit Creek Lodge Trail (again, watch for rock formations on the right and left) to Black House Branch Trail (more rock formations here, too) to the "short" side of Jack's Ridge Loop trail to Katie Trail which takes to directly back to the parking lot. There is 1 good descent on the trail (on Duncan Hollow) and two good climbs (one on Charit Creek Lodge Trail and the other on Black House Branch Trail). It usually takes about 6 hours at a relatively slow pace to ride this loop, but boy is it worth it. There is plenty of horse water on the Charit Creek trail and at the Hostel.

We stopped at the Hostel last Sunday, and the hosts had just baked fresh, warm cookies! They also sell cold soft drinks and candy bars, so bring a couple of bucks with you and get a nice little refreshment on the trail. The Hostel has hitch rails for the horses and a nice covered porch with rocking chairs to sit and relax.

That's just one of the MANY great rides in the park!
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2010-09-09 4:44 PM (#124656 - in reply to #124315)

Regular

We, also like BSF too.  Looking forward to going back sometime.  We have only stayed at Bandy Creek, (liked it), and Cherry Creek, private campground, I think that's the name of it, and we liked it too.  Really good riding either place.  Have a great ride.
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2010-09-09 4:46 PM (#124657 - in reply to #124315)

Regular

Oops sorry Honey Creek, not Cherry Creek. 
MargaretW
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-09 8:52 PM (#124671 - in reply to #124315)

Wow Sommerset.  That is great information!  Wish I had seen it sooner but alas we are packing up to leave for home in the morning.  Never did get to ride at Bandy Creek.  Would have loved to do the trip you described.  We ended up taking a day trip to Lexington to the Ky Horse Park.  That was quite a cool experience too!  We had a great week all in all.  We're already planning our next visit.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-09-10 3:17 PM (#124714 - in reply to #124315)

Extreme Veteran

So are these trails marked in length by milage or hours? Hours are totally irrelevent to me as it depends on who is doing the riding. We "pleasure ride" a tad faster than most folks. Rode at Bar 50 in Arkansas a couple years ago and was very frustrating to have the map and trails were marked in hours.
yeehaw
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-09-10 6:48 PM (#124726 - in reply to #124315)

Veteran

CTRider all the trails I've seen in Big South Fork are marked in miles if they are marked.......Enjoy ya trip, we're planning Honeycreek in a week or so.........gotta luv that O&W rail-bed ride and the overlooks.
honor
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2010-09-12 12:24 PM (#124779 - in reply to #124315)

Regular

You can get one of those waterproof national geographic trails llustrated maps over at Bandy Creek visitor center for about $10.00 and they will show all the trails for the Big South Fork. Most of the campgrounds only have maps for their campground.
Hoofpick
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-10-11 1:26 PM (#125652 - in reply to #124315)

We just returned today from Big South Fork, Great trip, great riding, We stayed at True West Campground. The stalls, shower house, all was excellent. Easy to see why the camp has a five star rating. The trail access was good either north or south. We rode 21 miles day one, 6 hours day two and 5 hours day 3. The owner, Mark, did a great job outlining our rides for the day.

We looked at Bandy back in the spring , just did not fit our personality, very regulated (cooler impound locker, because of bears), The horses are long way away, need to drive to them.

Most important comment is go, and go now, the leaves are just starting to change.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)