'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cimarron, Kiefer Built, or Merhow

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-09-09 7:07 AM
14 replies, 13539 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

n2stitch
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-14 9:31 PM (#122393)
Subject: Cimarron, Kiefer Built, or Merhow

Looking at new 3H GN and have narrowed it down to three manufacturer's and models: Cimarron Norstar LX, Kiefer Built Genesis S3 or X3, and Merhow Verylite. Assuming similar features, which trailer would you choose, and why?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2010-07-14 11:43 PM (#122397 - in reply to #122393)
Subject: RE: Cimarron, Kiefer Built, or Merhow

Elite Veteran

You are going to get a lot of different answers due to various reasons. The best trailer is the one that is best for YOU! Of course that would include what you want out of your trailer, what it will be used for, and especially that you can afford.

I just traded a 2009 Kiefer 8083, that I bought brand new for a 2007 Elite. Not because there was anything wrong with the Kiefer, but because of what the Elite offered with a bigger LQ and storage. You will not hear me knock Kiefer, but rather sing their praises. If I had a question or problem, I could call the factory direct and they would help me.

Good Luck in your shopping.

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2010-07-15 9:40 AM (#122410 - in reply to #122393)

Elite Veteran

Dealer service capability and their proximity to me would also have to be considered. It is a piece of equipment that will require maintenance and/or repair on occasion.
n2stitch
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-15 10:58 AM (#122413 - in reply to #122410)

Two of the three are are within an hour's drive, the other one is about two hours drive.
Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-07-15 1:17 PM (#122420 - in reply to #122393)

Regular

We purchased a used 2006 K-B in April this year - 3 horse w/10 LG Genesis XE8103 in excellent condition & we love it.  Horse area is completely finished off, full front divider, fans for horses;  LQ is by LSR Conversions and workmanship is superior.  I was looking for one with a dinette & loved the floorplan (best I have seen for my needs) & it already had a Satelite Dish (we can use our direct TV receiver) & an electric awning (not so sure I wouldn't prefer a manual one!) Front is enclosed so it protects the jacks, propane tanks & batteries.  We do not have a dealer in our immediate area so I did what you are doing and posted a question on HTW but all responses were positive.  I also checked out their website & called the co w/several questions and they were extremely helpful.  I was impressed by their warranty although we couldn't transfer it because we didn' t purchase it thru a K-B dealer which is one of their requirements.  This trailer met all my "basic" requirements and had so many +'s  which you can't always find buying used.  There is very little I would change even if I could afford to buy new.  Hope this helps and Happy Trailer Shopping! 
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-07-15 1:36 PM (#122421 - in reply to #122393)

Extreme Veteran

I bought a 2008 Kiefer x8093 and I love it. I agree about the folks at the Kiefer headquarters being easy to deal with. Make sure you do not get Carlisle tires on whatever you buy. Keifer was using this brand, not sure if they still are or not. Long story short, had a blow out, damaged the trailer, Kiefer supplied all necessary parts to restore trailer at no charge to me. Carlise paid me market value for all 5 of the tires that came on the trailer new. Now have Goodyears.
Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-07-15 7:57 PM (#122433 - in reply to #122393)

Regular

Ditto on the Carlisle tires!  When researching K-B, I was advised that an acquaintance that I hadn't seen in many years purchased a new 2006 K-B so I called him.  He loved his trailer except he had a problem with the tires, Carlisle, no less.  He blew 2 tires the first season so the dealer made good & swapped him a new set of something else.  We also had a problem in 06 when our tire dealer put Carlisles on our 85 bumper pull & we blew 4 tires in 2 years!  I trust them to know tires & after the 3rd tire & wasn't getting any answers, I contacted Carlisle direct & all they came back with was we didn't have them properly inflated!  I find it strange that we had that trailer since 1987 & never had a problem before or after that & we've been hauling horses for 30+ years.  I understand that our K-B also had Carlisles on it but it had Firestones on when we bought it & we had 2 blow outs (sidewall of tires) within a month.  Firestone is a good tire but they were E-load, trailer called for F-load & I don't think they were heavy enough to carry the weight.   Did a lot of research and we just put a set of Goodyear G-load 14 plys on it.  I was able to see the difference in the sidewall when they were putting them on & there is no comparison. Your trailer may not be as heavy as ours but I would definitely stay away from the Carlisles.  Last thing you want to do is break down or have an accident as a result of a blowout especially with horses on board.   Sorry for running on, but it was a learning experience for me & just wanted to share the info.
n2stitch
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-15 8:01 PM (#122434 - in reply to #122393)

I appreciate all the info and opinions!
RWR
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-07-16 10:05 AM (#122451 - in reply to #122393)

Easy way to answer your question for yourself.Got look at each one in person. Open a drop down window or manger door, grab a hold of opposite corners and give it a little twist, Then go buy the cimarron
figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-07-16 11:12 AM (#122454 - in reply to #122393)

Regular

First: The dealer that you feel is the best to work with over the long haul, you could own this trailer for a long time. Second: The Warranty, Read them, There is a difference. Kiefers three year bumper to bumper is an outstanding warranty, everyone has a long looking warranty that sounds better than when you look at the details, 6 or 7 or 8 years really won't cover much at the end of that warranty.  Also look for who warranties the roof Kiefer does. Third: If you have a problem that is beyond the dealer, it will be your cost to ship the trailer to the factory and back, how far are the plants from you. Fourth: Go with the stronger company, Kiefer, Cimarron, Merhow in that order. Fifth:The one you like better, after all it's your trailer not our's 

QHallaround
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-16 11:20 AM (#122456 - in reply to #122393)

New User

Buy the Cimarron.....in my opinion, there is no comparison quality wise between these three. Cimarron builds a quality trailer, just compare the welds and flooring. I have a Norstar and it is by far the best trailer I have ever pulled, I love it! I have previously pulled 4 Stars and Harts but I would buy another Cimarron in a heartbeat.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-07-16 2:09 PM (#122462 - in reply to #122393)

Expert

Some reviews from "Mr Truck", some are a few years old....

http://www.mrtrailer.com/cimarronmfg.htm

http://www.mrtrailer.com/merhow.htm

http://www.horsetrailers-online.com/home/TRkiefer02.asp

n2stitch
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-17 10:06 PM (#122514 - in reply to #122393)

Thanks everyone for all the information. I have now looked at all three manufacturers, as well as a few others, and have narrowed it down further. Next week I'll make my final decision.
Goodlittlevoodoo
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-08 11:57 PM (#124624 - in reply to #122393)

What did you decide? I am reading your post as though it were my own, but I am hoping to find it used!
n2stitch
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-09-09 7:07 AM (#124628 - in reply to #124624)

I didn't go with any of the above. I went with a Hart and just LOVE it. It is an awesome trailer for me and my needs.The quality and sturdiness of the build is quite impressive.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)