'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Overnighting in N. VA or S. PA

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-26 1:37 PM
5 replies, 3620 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2010-08-19 12:27 PM (#123771)
Subject: Overnighting in N. VA or S. PA

Regular

I'm looking for a place to overnight with 4 horses and 2 LQ trailers close off I-81 in the middle of Sept.  I have checked the places on HorseMotels.com etc. and most of them are B&B's that want an arm and a leg for stalls, and a room which I don't need.  So I guess what I really want is a horse show grounds, arena, fairgrounds or something like that with easy access to I-81.  Half way between Otter Creek NY and Chattannoga or Knoxville TN.  Anyone know of anything?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-08-19 1:50 PM (#123776 - in reply to #123771)
Subject: RE: Overnighting in N. VA or S. PA

Veteran

In Maryland you may want to stop here :http://www.happyhillscampground-md.com/index.htm , just a short hop on 70 off 81. About 6 hrs. from you ? In Va.you may try here http://www.shencofair.com/facility.html but call ahead, there's also http://www.fortvalleystable.com/ but it's a pretty good haul over the gap that you may not want to do for an overnight. Good luck.
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2010-08-24 11:04 AM (#123990 - in reply to #123771)

Veteran

There are some horse camps on near 81, Dismal is 30 minutes from I-81 at Dublin Virginia. Iron mountain Horse camp is 30 minutes from I-81 at Fort CHiswell, Va. their web site is www.ironmountainhorsecamp.com.  can give you directions if you are interested. Both are easy to get to. Dismal is primative camping with really nice pipe corrals.Cost about 15 per site per night. There are double sites at 25 per night, beautiful and clean.
gaitin
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2010-08-25 7:28 AM (#124024 - in reply to #123771)

Regular

Check with the Lexington Horse Center in Lexington, Va. They are right off Rt. I-81 and have stalls and a campground.
aliving
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-26 7:37 AM (#124075 - in reply to #123771)

You might try Wind Ridge Stables in Grantville, Pa.  It is 1 mile off I- 81 at Exit 80.   It has 12x12 stalls and turnout.   You can stay in your trailer there for no extra charge.   Tom & Victoria Bowman  717 469-0448.  We've stayed there on numerous occasions and really like it.   Have fun at Otter Creek.    We are heading up there in mid Sept.    Perhaps we'll see you there!

Also Cabela's in Hamberg  (off I 78) has two outside pipe stalls which can be used overnight at no charge.   They also have water and a dump station and you can park near the horses.   It also has dog kennels.  The store has a restaurant in it, as well as all its wonderful merchandise.    I'm not sure the two stalls would be big enough for 4 horses, but you could also check other Cabela stores along your route.  

mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2010-08-26 1:37 PM (#124089 - in reply to #123771)

Regular

I want to thank everyone for their help. We are still trying to find a place. Shenandoah Valley fairgrounds would be about half way for us, but after 5 phone calls, I still can't get anyone there to answer one simple question for me or to get the person in charge to return my phone call. They are very rude. They won't even tell me what they charge.The horse center in Lexington VA is nice, but too far south. I am looking into some of the other suggestions you all have made. I'm going to start a new thread about other things to do in the Otter Creek area. I'm sure we'll have a good time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)