'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Actha comp trail ride

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-03 6:46 PM
2 replies, 3149 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-08-03 8:36 AM (#123125)
Subject: Actha comp trail ride

Extreme Veteran

I just signed up for my 1st competetive trail ride. Nervous and excited. I will just be getting my horse from the trainer the week before so I won't have much experience on him before the ride but he has had alot of trail experience so shouldn't be too much of an issue. Has anyone else done these rides?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-08-03 9:13 AM (#123127 - in reply to #123125)
Subject: RE: Actha comp trail ride

Elite Veteran

I did one in June and enjoyed it, but I don't feel that it's a true measure of a good trail horse. 

Read up about all the obstacles and have an idea of how to do each one.  It's better to try it and then if your horse won't do it, stop.  Those that kept trying and trying, got marked down and you get a zero if time runs out.  The ones my horse did partially, I at least scored some points.

I rode with 2 friends and it was ironic to us that the youngest horse who isn't that great of a trail horse, scored higher than our 2 seasoned trail horses.  My horse isn't a great backer and that's where I lost points, but he is wonderful out on the trail itself, led our group the entire time, is quiet in traffic, safe, sane, etc

The young mare that is not really all that great out on the trail, does back and though she acted up really bad at the obstacles (reared), scored 2 points higher overall...  go figure...  I'll take my guy anyday over her. I'd rather be safe.

Edited by Dunoir 2010-08-03 9:15 AM
dietz
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2010-08-03 6:46 PM (#123147 - in reply to #123125)
Subject: RE: Actha comp trail ride

Did one at Brushy Creek and had a great time. Good food, good people and a good time.Go witj the attitude of having a good time with your horse and that is what you will have. It may not be judged by a professional but that is the whole idea. It is to have FUN with your horse at an event that is not a lot of pressure.You will learn as I did that my broke to death trail horse had some more work to do when we got home. Some horses do things better than others.To make it even more humbling my wife won it in the Pleasure Division and our ride was much more upbeat. Looking forward to some fall ones. Hope to see u there.Lol
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)