'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Adding Side Ramp

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-27 1:42 PM
4 replies, 4777 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

wsfarm
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-07-27 11:06 AM (#122853)
Subject: Adding Side Ramp

Part of my trailer mod vision will include a side ramp...similar to the 2+1 trailers now being made.

I've brought this up before but the trailer integrity discussion currently active on another thread has me worried.  Plans are to remove the 2 uprights and put in a header and maybe more support on the floor and sides.  A full height (7' trailer) ramp will be attached w/hinges, springs, etc and something like 2 HoldTite cam locks will be used to tie the ramp to the trailer when it's up.

http://polarmfg.thomasnet.com/category/cam-locks

The ramp width will be 57" and about 70"h.  I have noticed that most side ramps use the wrap over type locks and the HoldTite type locks are used on the upper windows.  Is there a reason why the HoldTites are not commonly used on the ramp part as well?

I've had two different people look at it and they both believe that the integrity of the trailer will not be affected by what I want to do but just thought I would run it by everyone again to see if anyone has signifcant reservations about the idea.

Doing these mods still looks like the less expensive way to get what I ultimately want...not worried about resale.  We will own this trailer until it crumbles.

Thanks!  This forum has been a great resource!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-07-27 11:49 AM (#122856 - in reply to #122853)
Subject: RE: Adding Side Ramp

Expert

Here's a picture or two of a side ramp on a 8'6" inside height trailer... It may help you decide what may work best. I like this style the best. You can unlatch and move to the side. That horizonal bar cam latch deal leaves you standing in the middle of the ramp, then trying to keep that handle from digging into the ground/earth's surface/your head as you're lowering the ramp!! What are you building the ramp out of? Aluminum frame with plywood/rubber mat?

<script> window.setTimeout("watermark()",50);

<script> window.setTimeout("watermark()",50);

wsfarm
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-07-27 12:44 PM (#122860 - in reply to #122856)

That's pretty much what I want and those are the latches I see most of the time.  One of the potential installers thought the cam latches would "tie" the ramp into the sides more where as these press the door against the inside frame. Maybe a combo of the two would be good.  The horizontal cam latch at the top and the vertical latches in the middle.

Haven't decided on the ramp materials yet but something similar to what you described. Definitely rubber of some sort on the inside.  We had talked about putting the ribbed pieces back on the outside, but this one looks nice with just the flat aluminum.

These are great pics...thanks.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-07-27 1:10 PM (#122861 - in reply to #122853)

Expert

Here's what the side ramp looks like on my Gore two horse straight load bumper pull... Mr. Gore says that it's all aluminum except for the rubber traction mat. Very light weight yet it's about the stoutest ramp we've ever had on any trailer, no flexing or distortion with 1100# walking horses in and out on it. I can open and close it with one hand while maneuvering a manual wheelchair. Gore doesn't use any wood in their ramps. Plywood tends to get heavy, specially when it's wet!! 

wsfarm
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-07-27 1:42 PM (#122864 - in reply to #122853)

Interesting about the weight.  My husband was thinking aluminum frame w/aluminum sheeting on each side and rubber glued/attached to the inside.

We have a lot of Gore trailers in my area and everyone I know that has one loves them.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)