'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Seek info on Gooseneck Flatbed trailer for hay

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-01 1:35 AM
8 replies, 5308 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

david
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-07-29 1:23 PM (#122958)
Subject: Seek info on Gooseneck Flatbed trailer for hay

Regular

Trying to buy a gooseneck Flatbed trailer to haul hay. I want more than 7 k axles. I need at least 24 ft and a deck over the gooseneck. I have had a tripple axle Hillsboro and really like the way 3 axels carry the load. But that trailer is a 1977 and springs and all is worn bad. I have used a tandem dual Rolls rite and did not like the way it rode empty. can anyone give advice on brands that they have used and liked. I am really hoping to find a good used trailer. thanks david
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-07-29 1:56 PM (#122959 - in reply to #122958)
Subject: RE: Seek info on Gooseneck Flatbed trailer for hay

Expert

I've never pulled one that pulled good empty. I pull a 20+5 trailer like this with a self cleaning pop up dove tail. Got the one with 8000# axles and 17.5 single tires. It will still beat you to death empty on the interstate.

http://www.southag.com/Trailers/pgs7.htm

Check your local "Craigslist". In our area, there's flat bed gooseneck trailers listed all the time. Check Richmond, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro areas....

Southag can rebuild and paint your old trailer... Refurbish I think is the word they use...!!

Edited by retento 2010-07-29 1:58 PM
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-07-29 4:35 PM (#122966 - in reply to #122958)

Expert

Originally written by david on 2010-07-29 1:23 PM

Trying to buy a gooseneck Flatbed trailer to haul hay. I want more than 7 k axles. I need at least 24 ft and a deck over the gooseneck. I have had a tripple axle Hillsboro and really like the way 3 axels carry the load. But that trailer is a 1977 and springs and all is worn bad. I have used a tandem dual Rolls rite and did not like the way it rode empty. can anyone give advice on brands that they have used and liked. I am really hoping to find a good used trailer. thanks david

I think the reason your older trailer pulls better or (you think it pulls better) is because it is HEAVY!

I am with retento, I have never owed or pulled a gooseneck flatbed that really did not beat you up empty.  I have a 24' Load Trail low boy style with 2-7-k axles with no dove tail that I orderd just to haul hay with and has a steel floor.  It pulls pretty good but is a little heavier.  Also have a deckover 23+5 gooseneck with 2-7-k axles and wood floor.

I like the Load Trail and PJ trailers because they are poweder coated.  I sure some others are too now but they have been for years.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-07-30 12:32 AM (#122987 - in reply to #122958)

Expert

This is what I use to deliver hay
http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=FD
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-07-30 8:02 AM (#122996 - in reply to #122958)

Expert

I've used two of the Dually/Tandem likes Pauls link.

They work great for what I need to do. I wouldn't go back to singles/tandem for the weight I haul. And I definitely wouldn't do triples. Too hard on tires.

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-07-30 4:01 PM (#123017 - in reply to #122958)

Expert

That is just like my deckover Load Trail (which is one and the same as PJ now).  I would love to have one with duals but the DOT is too hot to write tickets for not having DOT stickers and CDL lic. even though we run farm tags on everything.  So it much better for me to stick with singles and make an extra trip in needed.

I agree with triples, too much wear on the center axle and tires.

david
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-07-31 9:54 PM (#123055 - in reply to #122958)

Regular

What is up with all of the dot reports of them pulling over all kinds of farmers and others that they never used to hassle. How does a guy hauling hay for himself, because of the drought, know when he is legal and when you are not? I heard a report that they were at a local stockyard here in Va after farmers wth old pick ups and bumper hitch trailers with farm tags. Wrote alot of tickets with heavy fines.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-07-31 11:37 PM (#123059 - in reply to #123055)

Expert

Originally written by david on 2010-07-31 9:54 PM

What is up with all of the dot reports of them pulling over all kinds of farmers and others that they never used to hassle. How does a guy hauling hay for himself, because of the drought, know when he is legal and when you are not? I heard a report that they were at a local stockyard here in Va after farmers wth old pick ups and bumper hitch trailers with farm tags. Wrote alot of tickets with heavy fines.

Well, I can not speak for VA. nor any other state than Texas, but in Texas even though you have "farm" tags you still must meet the weight regulations and hay is the fastest way to get "over weight".  My truck and all trailers are farm tagged.  This makes the actual weight for the trailer 34-k lbs. but the trailer is still only rated for 14-k lbs.  Years ago, farm tags would not get a second look going do the road but with some folks taking advantage of the $6.30 farm tags and people using them on lawn trailers and other non farm equipment and living in town the DPS and DOT guys started looking close at them and now checking weight as well.

As far as local stock sales around here the DPS is at everyone of them.  Not only because of tags but for stolen trailers and stolen livestock.

So around here if you have farm tags on something at a livestock auction you better have live stock or something to do with livestock in or on that trailer or you will get a ticket.  No hauling te friends broke down Ford or your new sofa home.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-08-01 1:35 AM (#123061 - in reply to #123059)

Expert

Originally written by hogtownboss on 2010-07-31 12:37 AM

Originally written by david on 2010-07-31 9:54 PM

Well, I can not speak for VA. nor any other state than Texas, but in Texas even though you have "farm" tags you still must meet the weight regulations and hay is the fastest way to get "over weight".  My truck and all trailers are farm tagged.  This makes the actual weight for the trailer 34-k lbs. but the trailer is still only rated for 14-k lbs.  Years ago, farm tags would not get a second look going do the road but with some folks taking advantage of the $6.30 farm tags and people using them on lawn trailers and other non farm equipment and living in town the DPS and DOT guys started looking close at them and now checking weight as well.

As far as local stock sales around here the DPS is at everyone of them.  Not only because of tags but for stolen trailers and stolen livestock.

So around here if you have farm tags on something at a livestock auction you better have live stock or something to do with livestock in or on that trailer or you will get a ticket.  No hauling te friends broke down Ford or your new sofa home.

Vehicles used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies within 150 air miles of the farm are exempt from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety inspection requirements, but be over that distance and you better have your ducks in a row...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)