'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
4J big piney horse camp

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-27 10:31 AM
6 replies, 8388 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-06-17 2:03 PM (#121274)
Subject: 4J big piney horse camp

Veteran

Has anyone ever been there for their week ride? Looks like a very nice place and you don't have to worry about cooking!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
NHCavalry
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-06-17 3:16 PM (#121278 - in reply to #121274)
Subject: RE: 4J big piney horse camp

onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2010-06-21 7:33 AM (#121340 - in reply to #121274)

Regular

4J is nice.  It runs along the Big Piney river.  The trails are nice.  Some easy some challenging.  It is family owned and they are really nice people.  Camp is clean, food is good. 
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-06-24 10:50 AM (#121495 - in reply to #121274)

Veteran

We are thinking about going there next year for their June ride.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-06-24 10:27 PM (#121510 - in reply to #121274)

Elite Veteran

We went there for the first time last September. Food was very good, but didn't care for eating on plastic plates with plastic utensils. This create a lot trash and I felt this was wasteful and not so good for the environment. Prefer Big Creek's dining experience better by eating on glass dishes and metal utensils. However, 4-Js cafeteria is air conditioned. The fluff salads are too die for. :)

Stalls are somewhat small and average around 8x10 and depending on which barn you are in, you'll need to bring a dog collar or stud chain to fasten the metal tubular stall gates. The lower portion of the camp can flood, but we camped by the arena and had no issues - just some soft ground.

Not as many trails as Big Creek, but nice riding trails and I thought they were easier than some other Missouri trail destinations. None of the trails are marked, so bring a GPS. Also since the inland hurricane in 2008, quite a few trails still have debris that you will need to navigate.

4-J offers some sort of entertainment every evening if you are in to that sort of thing. We like to sit by the campfire so next time we visit we will try to request a campsite away from the arena as this is where the dances and bands play.

Our favorite trail was going to Cabbage Patch. Very beautiful scenary and spectacular overlooks of the river valley. Folks were very friendly in the campground and provided info about trails. Some folks have old trail maps of the area, but the storm has changed the location of quite a few trails so we didn't find the maps very useful.

All in all we had a nice camping experience and will return.

Edited by ponytammy 2010-06-24 10:28 PM
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-06-26 12:37 PM (#121550 - in reply to #121274)

Extreme Veteran

I do believe you'll find many, many more trails around 4-J than Big Creek, once you've ridden them with someone that knows them. You can find very challenging trails at both locations. Even though some of the trail have moved a little because of the down fall, the basic trail is still there. The go arounds are well worn and no problem to follow. The forest service is still clearing many of the trials. Don't forget you can ride all of the Paddy Creek trails from 4-J, as well as those from Slab Town. And there is a whole lot of seldomly used trails around the old 4-J camp.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-06-27 10:31 AM (#121591 - in reply to #121274)

Extreme Veteran

This will be my 15th year going to the 4J and in the last couple of years, I rode with some different people and rode trails I hadn't rode before.  There's lots of trails to be found and I know because of the trees down, new ones have been made.

The campground is newer having been built I think in the last 7-8 years.  Most of the camp sits on higher ground and after Arkansas, I appreciate more knowing the Laughlin family is on the phone checking the rain farther up stream and staying up during the night to watch the river. 

I love the setting, trails and high bluffs. They're known for Betty's great home cooking.  If I don't go walking, I'll come home a few pounds heavier.  People are friendly and I know if I'd need help, someone would be there.

It'd be worth trying sometime. I'd be surprised if you'd be disappointed.  The weather will be your biggest challenge now.  Not much riding going on in my area, rain, rain, and more rain.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)