'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trails near Memphis, TN

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-26 6:10 PM
6 replies, 7402 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-06-22 5:37 PM (#121418)
Subject: Trails near Memphis, TN

Regular

My family will soon be moving to Memphis. Just a few months ago, we finally got ourselves outfitted with a 4H LQ and have used it a few times - mainly for day trips. We're blessed with a great riding area just an hour away from us (Coldwater Recreation area in Blackwater Forest). There are 50+miles of trails, well-maintained and decent parking/camping areas. I feel sure there must be something similar near Memphis. Hoping someone can make suggestions!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-06-22 7:09 PM (#121421 - in reply to #121418)
Subject: RE: Trails near Memphis, TN

Expert

The closest I know of to Memphis would be Village Creek State Park near Wynne,AR.There are about 23 miles of trails.The horse camp is excellent.You can see it on the Arkansas State Park website.
sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-06-23 6:20 AM (#121437 - in reply to #121418)

Regular

Thanks, we will certainly look into that one! Hoping we find lots of great places around. At least we can travel 360 degrees from there - when you're on the coast, you only have 1 direction to go in!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-06-23 9:05 AM (#121441 - in reply to #121437)

Expert

As trails go,they are pretty mild,if you're an avid trail rider.But unless you travel quiet a bit east of you in Tennessee,it's a short trip to Village Creek and the setup for the horse camp couldn't be better.Just know that they allow non-horse campers into the "horse" camp,also.Don't know why that is,because,there are 2 other nice camps to accommodate them.There are also cyclists that will occasionally be on the trail (not all of the horse trails are "horses only" riding.Other than that,it's a good camp and trails to go for a short weekend,etc.

Be aware,too,that this is in the Delta region of Arkansas and as such,the summertime will find you innuendated with bugs.the deer and horse flies are murder in the day,and the mosquitos will run you off at night.I'd plan a trip in Sept.if I were you.Anytime except June,July and August is good.I know that's the summer months when kids are out of school and folks take vacations>Just warning you,is all.Didn't want you disappointed in thinking you could sit outside your trailer at night during this particular time,NOT.

Good luck. 

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-06-23 9:24 AM (#121442 - in reply to #121418)

Expert

DITTO, on all CRG just said.....heed those words of wisdom!
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-06-23 7:21 PM (#121474 - in reply to #121418)

Veteran

Hi sweetas.  As Crowleyridge said, Village Creek is good to the west of Memphis.

Chickasaw State Park to the east is a good plce to camp and ride. Buffalo River Trail Ride about 3 hr east on hwy 64 is a favorite of ours for weeklong excursions. Natchez Trace up I40 toward Nashville is great too. Land between the Lakes at the Ky State line is good.....lots of places in West TN.

To the South, Stinkin Jims near Houston MS is a fun place.

In Memphis city limits is one of the largest urban parks in the country, Shelby Farms and they have a horse club and trails within the park. 

Google any of the names I have listed an you can see for yourself.

We trail ride alot, Quarter Horses, and have a place in Fisherville just outside Memphis to ride daily. Give us a shout when u get here.

tnmulerider
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-06-26 6:10 PM (#121568 - in reply to #121418)

There are several horse camps in the Shawnee National Forest in Southern Illiniois.  It is about 200 miles north of Memphis.  There is an exit off I-40 that is just a few miles from Natchez Trace.  Check out www.horseandmuletrails.com for a listing of camps in different states.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)