'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
problem with trailer bottoming out

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-21 3:15 PM
5 replies, 3882 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

caloak
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-21 1:40 PM (#120425)
Subject: problem with trailer bottoming out

New User

HiWondering if anyone has had a similar problem to the one I am having. I have a gooseneck, I think about 36', and it gets stuck when I go over raised areas. I have had this happen on raised railroad tracks, pulling off a highway, where the edge of highway was higher than the street I was exiting onto, etc. The problem is the truck gets over the bump and then the trailer tires are left on the other side ant the bottom of the trailer gets stuck on the ground. Now, if I see a raised spot I get some speed up - but the first time this happened I went very slowly to make less bounce for horses etc. and I got stuck on the train tracks - had to reverse to get off and my truck tires were smoking! It was a bit scary!! So, I have contacted the trailer manufacturer to see what they recommend - assuming they have a solution and they said they have never heard of this happening. The trailer repair place where I get my trailers serviced said they have heard of this. Looking for anyone else who may have had this problem so I know I'm not the only one :)I have a Hawk 4 horse I think its an 08, I bought it new. And I pull it with a F250. It sits very well when hooked up, and even if I were to raise it at the coupler that would not provide enough extra lift. I've been told what I need to do is change out the axles. Thanks!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-05-21 2:19 PM (#120427 - in reply to #120425)
Subject: RE: problem with trailer bottoming out

Expert

Welcome to HTW!!

You might want to pick your crossings more carefully.... You probably have no more than 14"-16" of clearance. Get the truck on one side of a 17" hump and the trailer wheels on the other and you're "high sided". Try crossing the RR crossings at an angle. Keep on with the "get a running start", and you'll tear something up on the trailer and truck or kill yourself and someone else trying to get it off the tracks!!! Is it a 4 horse head to head?? If so it's easy to get hung up. Does your trailer look something like this? What's changing out the axles going to do?

You're not the only one, it happens every day to CDL certified drivers. This happened to be a trackhoe rather than a load of horses  http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7593803/

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-21 2:44 PM (#120428 - in reply to #120425)

Expert

You may want to consider having your clearance increased by "blocking" the trailer's axles. The axles are removed, spacer blocks are installed and the axles are then reattached. This will increase the ground clearance under your long trailer.

A search of the forum, will reveal many threads about owners successfully blocking their trailers.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-21 3:03 PM (#120429 - in reply to #120425)

Expert

Blocking axles

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=13188

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=12910

caloak
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-21 3:09 PM (#120430 - in reply to #120425)

New User

Thanks for the replies - yes that looks just like my trailer! Have you ever had the same problem with that trailer?In speaking with my trailer maintenance guy I think I am going to change the axles - the degree of them - he said it should give me about 4 inches. He talked about the block option too but said he recommended the other option. . . I was just so surprised the guy at Hawk said he had never heard of such a problem. Wanted to make sure I wasn't alone!
caloak
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-21 3:15 PM (#120431 - in reply to #120425)

New User

I am very lucky I was able to get off before a train came. There were/are no warning signs at the crossing and I called VDOT to try and see if there is anyway to find out where the raised crossings are - they said no, and said I had to contact the train companies directly. . . The areas I know about I avoid, I skip one show b/c I know I can't get there. But, unless I have driven the route before I don't know till I am there. Its not always easy maneuvering the trailer. At the RR crossing I had to stop traffic and back down a narrow road about 200+ feet (seemed like over a mile) before I could turn around.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)