'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Another--but different-trailer tire question!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-17 12:55 PM
3 replies, 2948 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2010-05-04 2:33 PM (#119716)
Subject: Another--but different-trailer tire question!

Regular

I now own and haul only miniature horses(after having fullsized' horses for nearly 60 years previous.) I have a modest 14'X5' straight load CM steel stock combo trailer,rubber? torsion axles, BP; it fully fits my needs...has,and still would, haul a couple of modest 'bigs'(in the 15 hand range; I never liked nor wanted anything bigger);nowadays, I can haul all six of my minis, or, a multiples vehicle and the pair to pull it, or a couple of minis AND a couple of carts...you get the picture! I've had it for about 15 years; never used HEAVILY, it is now in only occasional use. I ordered it new from a longime dealer in Albuquerque; it came with Firestone P225/70R/15 M+S tires (as designated on the sidewalls). They appear in good shape(trailer is usually outdoors-this is the dry SW, after all...,I have always tried to keep the tires either covered, or have oriented the way I park it so the tires are never 'hit' with full summer sun). Have served me well, but are becoming worn enough that I need to replace them soon. My question is--is it the best idea to go with another of the same type/designation of tire? Does "M+S" mean 'mud and snow'--and if so, would I really 'need' that? They surely don't appear to have anything besides a pretty 'standard' radial highway tread, as far as I can see...?I didn't specify anything particular in the tires originally;these are just what came on the trailer... but as stated, they've served me well under 'my' kind of usage. These tires specify a max air pressure of 36 psi on the sidewall; I've always run them at just under that.Most of my driving is highway or pretty well improved unpaved, though on rare occasions, I might have to travel a pretty 'back country' road, taking it very easy if I do!

I pull w/ a '99 F-250  4 WD SD ext. cab/short box 7.3 diesel,that I ordered new, so have plenty of truck(probably more than plenty, the way I use it, but I do like having the power...I am along in years and didn't want to have to worry about my vehicle falling short!).

Radial tires were fairly unusual on a horse trailer(at least, a small one like mine) when I got this trailer...I hark back to when trailer tires were pretty much ALL bias ply...is this important, one way or the other?

Hope all you trailering 'mavens' can give me the benefit of your experience/opinions. I'd appreciate your input before I go seriously 'tire shopping'!

With thanks,

Margo in NM (aka olehossgal)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-05-04 4:08 PM (#119718 - in reply to #119716)
Subject: RE: Another--but different-trailer tire question!

Extreme Veteran

m&S does mean mud and snow which usually isn't on a trailer since it does not drive and need the traction. An AS which is all season or all weather could be good for rain and helping not to hydroplane. It also should have a load range on it. I would make sure to get the proper load range. Even if you do not ahul anything heavy the next person may.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-04 4:34 PM (#119720 - in reply to #119716)

Expert

I would replace your passenger tire installation, with a light truck LT "C" range all weather tire of a similar size. It too will be a radial. The truck tires will give you more security and larger load capacity than the presently installed tires.

The mud and snow tires have an aggressive thread, which are somewhat detrimental when used on a trailer application. An all weather or summer threaded tire is more apropos for trailer applications.

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2010-05-17 12:55 PM (#120279 - in reply to #119716)

Regular

Thanks for your replies!

One more question, if I may...in doing just some 'basic' checking online, I have not found the exact same size tire w/all the other features recommended; how 'different' can I go in size? I found one that was essentially 1" larger in diameter; is that too much of a change? It appears that there is plenty of space for a 1"-larger diameter tire in the fender openings(but what do I know?!) Also, would the 1" size increase make a significant difference in whether the trailer continues to ride nice and level, as it does now(with a 'moderate' drop hitch on the truck.)Doesn't seem to me that it would, but again, maybe there's more to this that I realize!

(Guess the mfg. of my trailer must have gotten a 'deal' on the M+S tires=why they came on a horse trailer!! I've never had 'issues' with them, but, my trailer gets pretty 'light' use.)

Replies should help me know how to proceed when going for new tires. Thanks again,

Margo in NM(where FINALLY, it is SPRING!!! Glory be!)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)