'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Keeping horse area clean in trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-03 11:42 AM
12 replies, 8836 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Safet
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-04-30 11:14 AM (#119543)
Subject: Keeping horse area clean in trailer

Veteran

We hauled our mare to the vet last week. When we arrived, she had managed to dislodge and "reposition" the third floor mat. She had also made quite a mess of things with her manure. I was surprised as these mats are so tightly fit together. Anyway, when we got home, I pulled all the mats out and sprayed out the trailer and the mats. When everything was dry, I put everything back in with my husband's help (those mats got heavy fast!). I had to pull the saddles out of the back and remove the saddle rack and collapse the rear tack door during this process. This process, including drying time, took a few hours.

How do you keep the horse area of your trailer all clean? Right now, the trailer looks and smells new again, not that I care for the "new" smell, but I do like the trailer to be clean and dry. I do not want to use shavings because they will blow around with the windows and vents open. I really don't want to have to pull all the mats every time I use the trailer. Rumber or Lunex is not an option at this time. Can I just wash the trailer out and expect that the ridges of the floor and mats will allow the water to drain out and for everything to dry?

Thank you.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-04-30 12:24 PM (#119546 - in reply to #119543)
Subject: RE: Keeping horse area clean in trailer

Veteran

LOL...when you figure out how to accomplish this task..let us all know.. I use shavings..it absorbs the urine...and I do not really have the issue of "shavings whirling around"  ..I open vents, and sliders  ( I hate to see horses heads hanging out as the whiz down the roads ) but I never have heads hanging out...if that is a serious worry..put fly masks on them... as far as hosing out the back without removing the mats...no it does not dry all that quickly...it holds moisture under there along time...defeats the purpose in my opinoin... to have your trailer last as long as possible...pull the mats when cleaning........ JMHO
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-04-30 1:46 PM (#119550 - in reply to #119543)

Extreme Veteran

Your going to have to bed the trailer with shavings to absorb the moisture and mess. Also it will help with her rocking around or pawing and dislodging your mat. Might even make her ride better and stop doing this. There are two types of shavings where I buy mine, big fluffy ones and those that look more like sawdust. Thats the ones I like for the trailer. The ones that look like sawdust dont blow around. Living in NE Texas it gets hot and so we have all the vents and windows open. We dont have an issue with blowing shavings and I travel hundreds of miles at a time. They will absorb the urine and the manure wetness and you can clean it out with a fork and add fresh shavings several times before you need to clean them all out and start over. I try and pull mats twice a year for a good cleaning, but I dont have a wood floor.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2010-05-01 6:25 AM (#119574 - in reply to #119543)

Extreme Veteran

Pulling the mats is a pain in the butt but it will save your trailer floor in the long run.   We have a 1995 alum. Hart BP - gets used  for short trips 3-4 times/week.   I'll flip the mats up inbetween uses and once/week or so pull them and hose the trailer out.    Also have a  2000 Hart LQ- has very heavy mats which normally are a 2 person job to get in and out... but in a pinch I can do it myself with vise grips.  We normally keep the back mats out when not using the trailer.  When we got this trailer the inside looked nice but pulled the mats and there was moldy hay and shavings and wet stinky spots where urine had been sitting for probably years.   the alum. was very pitted and had 3 small holes.    we filled in the holes and the floor is so thick the pitting isn't a problem but I sure don't want it to get any worse.   I agree w/ other posters about shavings.   never had a problem with shavings flying around and they do absorb some of the urine, but there is still some amount that will seep under your mats and the longer it sits there the more damage it will do to the trailer floor.    

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-05-01 8:35 AM (#119577 - in reply to #119543)

Expert

Safet,  What kind of floor does your trailer have under the mats?

My trailer floor is Aluminum planks.  Basically it is a 6inch aluminum plank with a 1/4" gap between planks. Everything in the horse area has a Vortex Spray in liner material sprayed over it by the factory. So no bare metal.  So any moisture that gets under my mats, goes right out to the ground. I pull my mats spring and fall and wash everything out with high pressure hose. The rest of the year I bed with shavings.

I muck out the manure after each use and when the shavings get really dirty, I remove and replace them.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-01 10:42 AM (#119583 - in reply to #119543)

Expert

Most aluminum flooring doesn't require a flushing after every use. Many of the flooring systems that use aluminum extruded planks, utilize a profile that includes small longitudinal ribs or ridges. This allows the mats to rest above the flooring surface, and the fluids to migrate towards the lowest point. Drilled holes in that area will then drain most of the urine.

Usually a monthly cleaning under the mats will suffice with a heavy usage. Obviously cleaning after every use is ideal, but really isn't necessary. If the metal is periodically inspected for corrosion and treated if any is found, you will find your maintenance can be lessened somewhat. Many trailers have endured years of neglect, and yet have little corrosion as a result.

There are many types of aluminum and the builders that use the appropriate materials, will offer a long lasting, relatively trouble free trailer.

Another product you might consider for trailer bedding is shredded paper. It has no dust, is allergy free, highly absorbent, quickly becomes biodegradable, and works well as a garden mulch/ fertilizer.

To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-05-01 1:39 PM (#119590 - in reply to #119583)

Veteran

Question for GARD....how does one go about treating a corrosion problem and what is used to treat it ?  THANKS
Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-05-02 9:19 AM (#119610 - in reply to #119543)

Regular

I'd used nothing but stock trailers until last year, so I also assumed the shavings would be a problem when vents were open. I had that opinion from hauling stock trailers, with the large open areas along the top, and poorer sealed doors things do blow around. But now that I have a horse trailer I've discovered that blowing generally isn't an issue, even with windows and vents open. I think that's because the walls are so tall and intact, the breeze doesn't seem to reach the floor level.

One thing I would recommend is using a fly mask if you're traveling with shavings and have all the windows open. Not only will this protect your horse from shavings in their eyes, but also from bits of hay, or debris from the outdoors. Experiment once and you'll probably get a good feel for how things will be in your specific trailer. Shavings are about $6/bag here, and one bag will last you for quite a few trips if you just fork out the dirty parts after each trip. If your horses urinate all the time in the trailer you'll go through them quicker, of course.

Safet
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-05-02 11:12 AM (#119611 - in reply to #119577)

Veteran

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2010-05-01 6:35 AM<BR><BR><P>Safet,  What kind of floor does your trailer have under the mats?</P><P>My trailer floor is Aluminum planks.  Basically it is a 6inch aluminum plank with a 1/4" gap between planks. Everything in the horse area has a Vortex Spray in liner material sprayed over it by the factory. So no bare metal.  So any moisture that gets under my mats, goes right out to the ground. I pull my mats spring and fall and wash everything out with high pressure hose. The rest of the year I bed with shavings.</P><P>I muck out the manure after each use and when the shavings get really dirty, I remove and replace them.</P>

I have the aluminum extruded, ridged planks that run front to back, no gaps. There are a few small holes drilled at the front end of the horse area - maybe for drainage if the trailer is tipped forward? My trailer is a Sooner aluminum. The underside of the mats is ribbed, but not the same as the flooring, so there are channels underneath. I guess I will put the shavings in and drive around with things open and see where the shavings end up. I'll probably ride back there to see how it goes, too. I was using the stock type trailer before, so hopefully just having the drop down windows open, vents open and rear sliders open will not create that whirlwind effect.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-05-02 3:25 PM (#119618 - in reply to #119543)

Elite Veteran

This is what I did when I had my 3-horse slant with rear folding tack-
I quit using shavings for one because all it did was make my horse cough and he waited to pee...IN THE TRAILER. Just because there were shavings in there! Now both horses no longer pee in the trailer. They will learn to pee before they load or after as mine did.
The heavy mats- You will still have to take out saddle rack in the rear, and fold the wall back. I would rinse out the trailer as best I could, then fold back the mats from one side of the trailer to the other. Rinse the floor underneath and let sit until dried. WHen dried, I would do the other side of trailer. Fold one end of mat on top of the other going sideways and rinse. Again let sit to dry before folding the mats back to original position. This way you are not moving mats in and out of trailer. Totally worked for me.( I am single so have to get creative as I have no help!)I did use cinder blocks to hold the mats back in the fold position.
LoriA63
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-05-02 4:45 PM (#119623 - in reply to #119543)

My 01 Exiss has a solid aluminum floor. We quite often use the horse area for extra cots and a changing room at shows, so I keep it pretty clean.

I bed heavily with shavings. This is the only way to absorb urine (and the nervous horse loose manure, ew). After every haul, we pick out the manure, scoop out the urine soaked sawdust, and fluff the remaining bedding. At shows, I scrape and sweep all the sawdust under the mangers, then fold back the dividers and throw down rugs.

I NEVER leave the trailer dirty any longer than a few hours. This really helps keep out nasty odors. I also use foaming bathroom cleaner on the rubber wall occasionally where the horse's manure soils it.

Each fall, I empty out all tack and equipment, pull the mats (channel locks work great to get a grip), and hose the whole thing out. I will scrub the walls, floors and mats with dish soap, rinse well, then set a fan inside overnight to dry. My trailer has stayed in very good shape with this system.

We have not had a problem with blowing sawdust. I open all vents and windows, and have zippered screens at the horses heads for really hot weather hauling.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-02 6:05 PM (#119627 - in reply to #119590)

Expert

Originally written by To Much Trouble on 2010-05-01 2:39 PM

Question for GARD....how does one go about treating a corrosion problem and what is used to treat it ?  THANKS

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=12471

horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-05-03 11:42 AM (#119653 - in reply to #119543)

Veteran

Safet,  I am with Lori.  I bed deep with cedar, like 10 inches.   I use fly masks on the horses because I usually have the windows dropped down.  I don't think that the bedding flies around.  There is no indicator of this either on any flat surfaces or on the horses bodies or faces or on the fly masks.  My vet advised heavy bedding for cushioning for long distance travel and this was with a slatt sided stock trailer.  As soon as I get where I am going, the first thing that I do after I unload is clean out the soiled bedding.  With deep bedding, my matts don't even get wet and my trailer always smells fresh and clean.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)