'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
AC Leak?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-04-28 10:19 PM
4 replies, 3339 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-04-28 10:59 AM (#119471)
Subject: AC Leak?

Regular

My trailer has never leaked before.  I've had it for about 2 years.  I was gone the last several days (without my trailer).  We received about 5 inches of rain, and heavy winds.  I did not return home to my trailer for several days after the rain.  I noticed the edge of my matress being a little damp.  I can find no signs of where the leak came from, other than it is just about under the edge of my AC unit.  There are no water spots on the ceiling, on the floor, or the walls.

My question is, can an AC unit leak through the air flow portion if a hard rain hits it just right?  Or is it wishfull thinking on my part.?  I thought maybe if the rain forced its way hard through the back coils, it could maybe pass down through the air duct?  My trailer was not sitting level at the time, and the dampness was toward the downhill side.  I have hit all parts of the outside roof of the trailer with a hose since, and cannot find a leak.  My trailer is stored outside, and never leaked before.  I can't find a leak in the seal between the AC and the roof.  My roof is a one piece aluminum, with the only seam being on the outside edge.  I sprayed the hose on the caulk line and cannot make it leak.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RAF
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-04-28 11:30 AM (#119474 - in reply to #119471)
Subject: RE: AC Leak?

Regular

yes you can get rain thru the vents . try putting a small bead of silicone between the roof and A/C . tighten down the A/C and see what happens should take care of it. Good Luck
Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-04-28 1:18 PM (#119477 - in reply to #119471)

Regular

Thank you
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-04-28 6:14 PM (#119487 - in reply to #119471)

Expert

I had this happen once with a high quality motorhome, took it in anticipating a complicated and $$ trip.  They took the cover off inside, tightened two bolts and put the inside cover back on, for $25.00 min fee and it worked for years afterward with nary a leak.  Hope yours is just that way!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-04-28 10:19 PM (#119494 - in reply to #119471)

Expert

Sometimes on a newer installation, the hold down bolts will loosen as the AC sets down onto the roof with the traveling vibration. If you had a heavy wind, it's possible it could have driven the rain under a loose seal.

You can pull the inner shroud, loosen the bolts and partially lift the AC unit to inspect the seal to roof surfaces for any debris. A sealant could be installed, but it usually isn't necessary. Make sure the seal isn't rolled and remains flat, set the unit back down and re torque the bolts. It may be all that is required to stop the leak if that is your source.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)