'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Wiring question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-04 4:32 AM
6 replies, 3091 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mydaddysjag
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-03-01 2:46 AM (#117115)
Subject: Wiring question

This isnt specifically horse trailer related, but trailer related, and I thought someone here could help me out. Someone offered me a trade and cah on my trailer, and the trade is something I am looking for. They are offering a small enclosed cargo trailer. The issues with the trailer is that the Trailer was set on a pole to advertise a trailer sales business.
It has all the lights, but they were never wired. It also has never been titled, and needs a floor put in. Is it possible to get a title for this trailer? Im also wondering how much it will cost or how much of a pain it will be to get it wired.
I have a family member who knows how to do wiring, but they are pretty busy so if its a huge task I would probably just take it to be done at the shop. How much would just the materials cost, and roughly what would it cost at a shop to have it done?
I have replaced a few trailer floors, so thats something I can do myself with no trouble.

Im just wondering how much this trailer would cost me to get in usable condition to see how much I should knock off the price of my trailer for it. The plus to it is that I wanted a tiny trailer, but it had to be 5' wide. My husband is in a band and has a very large drum set that doesent fit in our car. I dont want to get a huge trailer because I dont want to have to use a big truck to pull it with. This trailer is 5' wide by 6'5" long, which seems hard to find. I can only find 4x6 or 5x8.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-03-01 8:35 AM (#117126 - in reply to #117115)
Subject: RE: Wiring question

Expert

It should only take a couple of hours to completely wire the trailer. Depending on what your local labour rates are, times 2, plus some materials, would give you a ball park cost figure. If you're just going to haul band equipment, I would think that a plywood flooring could be used. Two sheets of good 3/4" would be under $100.

The title situation could be a sticky wicket. In PA, trailers are titled and trying to buy or sell one without one, is very difficult to get it registered. Basically, you will have to remove all indications of any manufacturer's identifications and have it registered as a "home built". You will have to get the applicable paperwork from a licensing agency like AAA, and work through an inspection station that also handles trailer inspections. There will be on site inspections required for its construction.

You didn't hear this from me, but it's sometimes easier to get a title from a scrapped out boat trailer, pay the transfer and sales tax fees, and claim you modified it after your purchase. Any boat yard discards old trailers on a yearly basis. Keep the data plate and title, haul the wreck to a scrap yard.

Gard

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-03-01 10:49 PM (#117155 - in reply to #117115)

Expert

was the trailer real built to be use or just show?
mydaddysjag
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-03-02 2:30 AM (#117158 - in reply to #117115)

The trailer was built to use. Its a haulmark cargo trailer. It was a model that the trailer sales place got in stock, and took the floor out of so they could set it up as their road sign. It still has the trailer sales name and phone number on it. It does have tires on it, but they said they need replaced because the trailer was not hauled, and the tires would be dry rotted from sitting.
I contacted the trailer sales place in my area who also does titling and inspections etc. They said I would be able to get a home built title for the trailer. I guess I need a bill of sale that lists exactly what I am purchasing ( axle, wheel, frame, aluminum side walls and roof, tongue) and then I would need to keep receipts for everything I purchase to finish the trailer. Then I would take it to them, they would do an inspection and fill out a forum that is sent to penndot, and PennDot would send me the title and registration.
mydaddysjag
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-03-02 2:32 AM (#117159 - in reply to #117115)

I can take it as a partial trade towards my horse trailer, or purchase it for $350. It's a steel frame, aluminum sides. I think including the sales price, I could have it usable for under $1000, which is even cheaper than Ive seen the 4x6's used for.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-03-02 8:42 AM (#117165 - in reply to #117159)

Expert

Before it goes on the road, make sure that you have the wheel bearings and races changed. In their present condition, they are unsuitable for use.
mydaddysjag
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-03-04 4:32 AM (#117233 - in reply to #117115)

I decided to pass on the trailer. I told the guy I would take it, I just needed the bill of sale detailed to what parts the trailer included so I could get a homebuilt title for it. (for example, axle, frame, wheels, walls, etc) and he refuses to write a bill of sale even saying he sold the trailer for X dollars. Seems fishy that he doesent have the title, is selling it cheap, and refuses to write a bill of sale or receipt. Good deal or not, too fishy for me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)