'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Pros and cons of different paneling for DIY L/Q?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-02-05 6:54 AM
1 replies, 2785 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-04 11:42 PM (#116160)
Subject: Pros and cons of different paneling for DIY L/Q?

Regular

I just discovered your forum today, and have read 10 pages back but haven't seen this question, so hopefully I'm not annoying the experienced members with my dumb question?

Last summer I bought my first horse trailer after using a stock trailer all my life! I bought a 2003 3 horse Featherlite gooseneck with a 4' shortwall dressing room. The trailer was like new, the dressing room simply had carpet on floor, nose and the slant wall, screen door and a queen mattress. I used it last summer at 3 weekend shows after buying a bar fridge and tiny microwave from Wal-Mart.

This year we would like to DIY a simply weekend package. My husband has adequate carpenter skills and all the tools he needs. We aren't going to put in air, furnace, water tank, toilet or shower, I simply want to finish the walls, put in lots of cupboard and closet storage, have a spot for the microwave/fridge and a small place to sit and eat. I'll always be plugged in to arenas at the shows, and can use their showers.

What do you recommend for paneling the walls? We do NOT want it to look junky, but I also don't want to spend a million for such a short dressing room. I've been told by conversion places that they sometimes use a product that is fake leather (you could call it faux leather, or upholstry leather, I think)on the walls - has anyone had experience with using such? Would this be cheaper than wood paneling? Would it be easier? Would there be any advantages? If you were wanting to do a project yourself that would be $2500, what would you use for paneling? And where would you get it? Oh, and one last question. The aluminum inner walls of the Featherlite meet the ceiling in a curved area. How in the heck does one panel that shape? Thanks all for any advice, i admit to being completely green, thankfully my husband isn't quite so unprepared!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-02-05 6:54 AM (#116164 - in reply to #116160)
Subject: RE: Pros and cons of different paneling for DIY L/Q?

I just had my 4 Star with a 4'SW done. Materials were purchased from Lowes. We put in a floating bamboo hardwood floor, tongue & groove pine, berber carpeting up in the gooseneck, plus he added 4 more electrical outlets and built the boot box. All for only $1800 and some change. A very professional looking job. But then he had lots of experience working at a LQ conversion company before it closed.  Now, all I have to do is decide on my cabinets. I am not sure how many, if any, since, this isonly my run around and not my main trailer. I just wanted it fixed where I could stay in it in a pinch.  Note: The AC, fuse box and insulated ceiling were done at the factory prior to me taking delivery of the trailer. So, that is not included in that price.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)