'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Making a change????

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-29 1:20 AM
18 replies, 5047 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-01-27 7:18 PM (#115802)
Subject: Making a change????

My beautiful,2007 custom order 2 year old Sundowner gooseneck, 2 horse with all the bells and whistles, was just written off due to my neighbours tree falling on it during a huge wind storm. I didn't get (from insurance) the money to replace it...so as i was shopping around, i started to really like the 4 Star trailers. I have heard and read nothing but good things about them and would love some input. I am hoping this thread will stay informative and not Sundowner bashing...as i really did love my trailer and it withstood the crash very well.Thanks all in advance
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-01-27 7:28 PM (#115803 - in reply to #115802)
Subject: RE: Making a change????

Expert

no first hand help here, but so sorry to hear of the tree falling....and such a new trailer......our sympathies...
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-01-27 7:39 PM (#115804 - in reply to #115802)

I'm trying to attach a picture...but can't figure out how
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-01-27 8:02 PM (#115807 - in reply to #115802)

Extreme Veteran

Not to be snoopy, but why didn't the insurance pay.  Or they did, just not enough to cover replacement?

Sorry to hear about your trailer.  That would suck!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-27 10:29 PM (#115814 - in reply to #115802)

Expert

If you perform a 360 day SEARCH, you'll find many positive comments about 4 Star trailers. They're pretty much a standard by which others are judged.
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-01-27 11:25 PM (#115820 - in reply to #115802)

Thank you all...Yes, Insurance is paying me...just not enough to replace my 'exact' trailer. My Sundowner has been fabulous for the past 2 years...but as i was shopping around, the 4 Star name kept coming up. I know i will have to put in extra $$$$ for either and was hoping for the happy 4 Star owners to tell me what they loved about their trailers.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-01-28 7:56 AM (#115826 - in reply to #115802)

Extreme Veteran

I see you live in Canada so insurance things may be different there than in the states. I live in Texas and wrecked a LQ trailer 6 weeks after we bought it. I have State Farm and they had to pay replacement cost value and actually paid us $5000 more for the trailer than what we gave. This might be a heads up for everyone out there pulling these expensive trailers to check your insurance coverage right along with checking those hitchs, tires, bearings and such. LOL Since it was your neighbors tree that ruined the trailer, shouldnt they be filing on their homeowner's insurance policy to cover their liability on damaging the trailer ? Or is Canada that different ?
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-01-28 8:31 AM (#115828 - in reply to #115802)

Yes, i guess in a roundabout way...his homeowners insurance will take the hit. As the trailer owner, i have to go through my vehicle insurance carrier who then goes after the neighbors home insurance company. My insurance company was very fair. the trailer was 2 1/2 years old...but in immaculate shape and he took all that into account. Gard...i did go back and read those posts...but they were quite general...thanks for the tip.I guess i was wondering what made people buy their 4 Stars...was it structure and quality, the fact that there are so many custom options, resale value? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-28 9:06 AM (#115831 - in reply to #115828)

Expert

Originally written by spinnylena on 2010-01-28 9:31 AM

Gard...i did go back and read those posts...but they were quite general...thanks for the tip.I guess i was wondering what made people buy their 4 Stars...was it structure and quality, the fact that there are so many custom options, resale value? QUOTE]

"structure and quality, the fact that there are so many custom options."   Each of these are reasons for its popularity. The hardware and material choices are first rate. The quality of the construction and attention to detail is commendable. Each trailer can be customized to your specific specifications. A used 4 Star is an excellent investment.

If you compare the 4 Star to your SD, you'll find some differences. The rear doors on the SD only has two hinges, third or fourth hinges are an option. Check the quality of the hinge hardware on the drop down windows, and the way SD uses the body work instead of a frame to seat the windows. Compare the exterior manger doors for construction. The SD has two panels, the interior one was bent up on a box brake and glued to the exterior panel. There is no core material. The edges are trimmed with a piece of vinyl, and the hinge hardware is very lightly constructed. The interior of the door rests against an L angle which corners are trimmed with a piece of plastic. Compare the seals, the quality and how they are affixed between the two brands.

These are only a few of the construction differences found throughout the trailers. You can directly compare the constructions of many different trailers, and you should, whenever you spend so much of your hard earned money. Everyone claims to be the "BEST". There is no such thing. You have to find the one that closest matches your needs. That will be your best. Price alone does not guarentee the choice product.

Gard

Edited by gard 2010-01-28 9:33 AM
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-01-28 9:55 AM (#115832 - in reply to #115802)

As far as insurance goes, I carry replacement cost on my trailers and the stuff inside them including tack and personal  property.

I love the 4 Stars the best, always have. I am on my 6th. I like to trade as my needs and wants change. I really like my current Bloomer LQ 3H MT trailer but if the same exact trailer was sitting right next to it in a 4 Star, I would have taken the 4 Star, even if I had to pay a little more. Just because 4 Star is my favorite.  I have always come out well on reselling the 4 Stars but not as well for the other top brands. My current 4 star is a 4H with a 4' SW. I custom designed it to meet the needs of hauling  mares and foals back and forth to the breeding farms and had it made with a movable solid partion to form 2 box stalls or 4 slant stalls. So it has alot of options on it. With ramps on the front and the back, I can unload the front mare & foal first if need be. Also have it set up where I can haul reverse slant if I choose to.  I do  have to say, that I am not as pleased with the new windows they are using as the older ones had. I have the WERM floor in both my trailers and swear by it.

I also really like the Twister trailers but have never owned one. I was  happy with the Elite and the Hart trailer I have owned in the past.

I had 2 Sundowners in the past then  after my first 4 Star, I never looked back! Personally, I find them superior.  

spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-01-28 10:06 AM (#115833 - in reply to #115802)

Thank you sooo much Gard for your information.....i was hoping to have your input. Bushy Creek...i am glad to hear you are so happy with yours. I was paying insurance on what i " thought" to be replacement value....but the fine, fine print states not...good thing i was paying premiums on that amount?!? All in all though, i came out well..and like i said, the Sundowner did stand up very well considering the size of the tree that fell on it. In fact, at first inspection..other than the roof...you couldn't see the damage. Sure wish i could post a pic.Thank you again for all the fabulous input!
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-01-28 10:13 AM (#115834 - in reply to #115802)

Veteran

Just a comment about the neighbors tree and insurance-- unless the neighbors tree was rotten-- or the neighbors somehow were negilent -  their ( the tree owners) insurance would not pay.

That type of claim is either paid under the vehicles insurance if it was a vehicle that was damaged - or the property insurance if property was damaged.

As a "good neighbor" policy-- if it was my tree-- I would offer to pay the deductible if any to my neighbor

spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-01-28 11:31 AM (#115838 - in reply to #115802)

Yes, the tree was rotten and should have been removed ages ago. So are you saying that my homeowners insurance and vehicle insurance companies should pay for all? That would mean i would have to pay my vehicle deductible ( which i do) and my homeowners insurance deductible, for my neighbors tree falling and damaging my property and my trailer???
Anyways..all that is taken care of...and i agree...if the situation was reversed, i would be tripping all over myself trying to make it right for them!
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-01-28 1:07 PM (#115842 - in reply to #115802)

Veteran

Yes unfortunately-- that's correct.

I've been in the "business" for over 30 years and nothing will make people madder than having their neighbors tree fall on their property.

For instance-- years ago my husbands tree fell on his neighbors trailer and garage- damaging both.   It was before we were married and he (the neighbor) didn't believe me when I said his ( my now husbands)insurance would not pay and he would have to turn it into his company.     He called his agent and got the same answer-- but to keep peace-- we paid his deductible.

That was what I used to recommend to my insureds when I was in the Property/Casualty "side' of insurance.

But-- if your neighbors tree was rotten - and he did nothing-- that could change the circumstances. 

Edited by ClaudiaIN 2010-01-28 1:09 PM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-01-28 1:17 PM (#115844 - in reply to #115802)

Expert

OK, then.... Why then would you park your horse trailer next to your neighbors rotten tree??

spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-01-28 6:33 PM (#115852 - in reply to #115802)

Well..on purpose of course!!!! I forgot that i lived in Victoria, B.C..thought i was in Kansas...forgot about those HUGE windstorms we have on a daily basis...wanted to write-off my pride and joy.....oh....AND I'M BLOND1
What a stupid question
Paracadista
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-01-28 7:42 PM (#115857 - in reply to #115802)

I take it she doesnt want to talk about her insurance anymore and just wants to get the advise she requested.  I think?
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-01-29 12:43 AM (#115865 - in reply to #115802)

Yes, Thank you...that is right. But also..i live on 5 acres, my neighbor has 3. We are divided by a huge fence..and in B.C, we have a LOT of trees. I guess i have never scoured his property to see which trees,(dead ones at that) in the right circumstances, would come down on my trailer, if i parked it 'just so". I don't think anyone in their right mind would do so.
Thank you to all that have given their opinions on the 4 Star and the insurance side of things12
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-01-29 1:20 AM (#115866 - in reply to #115802)

Expert

spinnylena..... What would it take to repair your old trailer? Could you buy it back from the insurance company and have it repaired and come out ahead? If not then, 4 Star all the way.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)