'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Auxillary fuel tank on pick up

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-12-15 11:54 AM
4 replies, 3264 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

calfroper
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-12-14 2:20 PM (#114253)
Subject: Auxillary fuel tank on pick up

I've got a aux fuel tank that is gravity fed. I tried to put a inline filter on it between the aux. tank and the main truck tank, but know can't get it to flow quick enough to keep up with the truck.  Before I didn't have any problems with it keeping up, just thought it would be a good idea to have the fuel going through two filters.

Any advice is appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-12-14 4:20 PM (#114260 - in reply to #114253)
Subject: RE: Auxillary fuel tank on pick up

Veteran

Got get a pump and run it directly into your truck tank. I have one on our long box and our short box and it works great on both of them. Fills in under fifteen minutes. Only thing to watch out for is your fuel gauge doesn't move as fast as the fuel goes in. So when your on about 3/4 full shut the pump off or you'll start spilling.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-12-14 4:56 PM (#114262 - in reply to #114253)

Expert

You could also try a fuel line with a larger ID (inside dimension). This would allow you to use a less restrictive filter and still be able to gravity feed. Most nipples on the inline filters, drastically restrict the fuel flow from the original fuel line size; some by almost half. Being able to use a larger diameter line can compensate for this loss. On a pressurised system, mechanical or electric, this restrictive affect is not as noticeable.

Many auto parts stores and marinas stock fuel lines and filters of varying sizes.

Edited by gard 2009-12-14 4:59 PM
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-12-15 8:10 AM (#114273 - in reply to #114253)

Extreme Veteran

Thought I would mention for anyone that hauls alot. We just bought a pre-owned truck that was equipped with an auxilary fuel tank and system called Trans Flow Trax II. Has a pump with a computer system and monitor that automatically transfers fuel into the main tank as you burn it and the screen tells you how much is in both and your total capacity. Truck fuel gauge works off of the total of both tanks. Really cool system. Its around $1000 upgrade depending on your size choice and model. Really good investment if you haul alot and plan on keeping your truck awhile. This truck is an 07 Dodge with the 5.9 engine. 32,000 miles. Belonged to an older couple that pulled a 5th wheel. Like new condition. I think we got a heck of a deal. Anyhow you can google Trax II, its a company in California. We love it.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-12-15 11:54 AM (#114285 - in reply to #114253)

Expert

Originally written by calfroper on 2009-12-14 2:20 PM

I've got a aux fuel tank that is gravity fed. I tried to put a inline filter on it between the aux. tank and the main truck tank, but know can't get it to flow quick enough to keep up with the truck.  Before I didn't have any problems with it keeping up, just thought it would be a good idea to have the fuel going through two filters.

Any advice is appreciated.

The only way to be able to run and inline filter between the aux tank and regular tank is, you will need to install an aftermarket ilft pump to your aux. tank otherwise it will not work because there is not enough pressure to push through the filter.  Your best bet is to put it back how you had it and if you are wanting more filteration install something like an AIRDOG or FASS system between the main tank and the engine.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)