'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Repairing wall rubber mat

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-11-12 9:51 AM
8 replies, 10429 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Everwind
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-11-06 12:53 AM (#112844)
Subject: Repairing wall rubber mat

New User

We are just buying a used Exiss SS 300 MT 3H GN next week. It's in great condition, but there is a hole on the butt side a few inches above the floor where the rubber mat that lines the wall has been torn out - by a horse's shoe maybe? approx. 3" x 6". Any ideas on how to patch this area to preserve the wall behind it and prevent it from further tearing?

How do most people find the 6'9" width? Adequate? I'm going from a '89 straight load Keifer steel 2H GN that has 7' on the floor and 3' in the manger. The slant on the Exiss is 84" center to center along the slant. In the old trailer they do have quite a bit of extra room when they have their chests at the front, haven't measured though! Do they tend to ride a bit on the diagonal in the slant area and that gives a bit more room? My horses are both 15.2, 76" blanket arab crosses, and 15.2 QH.

The mats haven't been pulled out but I will do this when we get it home. I pulled up the three mats, there is a bit of slimey wet debris there but I didn't pull them all out for an entire inspection of the floor. What does corrosion look like on the aluminum? I checked underneath and everything looked good. So remove the mats, spray out the floor and cover in baking soda? How often? Any other special maintenance for an aluminum trailer? Looking underneath at the area of the axles there seemed to be some spots on the frame - reading other posts, is the frame in the axle area steel and this is to be expected?

thanks!
Andrea
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-11-06 8:15 AM (#112848 - in reply to #112844)
Subject: RE: Repairing wall rubber mat

Expert

You can make wall patches out of old floor mats. Cut the pieces to fit with a utility knife and glue it into place with a polyurethane construction adhesive; black if you can find that colour.

We have a 7' wide Exiss and haul a 16.2 hand, ~1200 lb horse with no problems.

If you take some time using the search function at the top left, you will find numerous threads concerning aluminum floor maintenance and corrosion tips.

Welcome aboard.

dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-11-06 1:38 PM (#112861 - in reply to #112844)

Veteran

If I was buying that trailer at a dealership, it would be fixed by them as part of the deal.

Edited by dawnb 2009-11-06 1:39 PM
Everwind
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-11-07 10:53 PM (#112906 - in reply to #112861)

New User

It is a private sale actually of year 2000 trailer. And I admit that I'm very bad at asking for more and for things to be included! The seller is very nice and runs a whole farm and kennel and works FT all by herself, so I don't want to be pushy, as I assume it would be difficult for her to do, or have done, any additional things we asked to be included in the sale price.
My mother had suggested asking that a slow leak tire be replaced or changed out with the spare(seller say it only needs to be pumped up twice a year - does that sound plausible for it to be that slow?) We've had lots of horse, float and dump trailer tires, riding mower tires, skidsteer tires and I don't recall a leak that slow. I should ask my husband.
awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-11-08 7:15 AM (#112909 - in reply to #112848)

Hey, Gardner. Mike and I were talking about this yesterday. Did you happen to notice where the mat is torn on the inside fender cover on our new trailer? There really isn't any mat material missing, but if I peek underneath it, I can see the fender. Do you think we could put that polyurethane adhesive under the flap and it would adhere to the fender? Thought we could wedge a piece of 2 X 4 to hold it in place until it dried. Or, wouldn't it be a good idea to stick it to the alum. fender? Debbie
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-11-08 12:24 PM (#112914 - in reply to #112909)

Expert

Hey neighbour. Your new trailer looks like the Taj Mahal. Congrats! I didn't get a chance to look at all the details, so no I didn't see the tear. If you can get access to the underside of the mat material, try to clean it and the aluminum structure, with some alcohol or such before applying the polyurethane adhesive. Scrubbing the area with a wetted Scotch Brite will help clean the surfaces, which is necessary for a good bond. Make sure everything dries before you apply the glue.

If you apply the adhesive, push things into place, wait a few seconds and then separate the pieces, you can let the glue dry to the touch. When you again push it into place, it will act as a contact adhesive and things will usually stay in place while the adhesive cures. You may not have to hold it in place, but having a wooden back up ready to go, wouldn't be a bad idea.

You picked a winner. We wish you many years of happy ownership.  Donna & Gard

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-11-08 12:36 PM (#112915 - in reply to #112906)

Expert

Originally written by Everwind on 2009-11-07 11:53 PM

It is a private sale actually of year 2000 trailer. My mother had suggested asking that a slow leak tire be replaced or changed out with the spare(seller say it only needs to be pumped up twice a year - does that sound plausible for it to be that slow?) We've had lots of horse, float and dump trailer tires, riding mower tires, skidsteer tires and I don't recall a leak that slow. I should ask my husband.

If the tires are original OEM, they should be changed. The side walls may be experiencing the affects of dry rotting, which can cause the air leakage. If they are newer than six years old, mix some liquid dish soap with water, and pour it over the valve stems, bead areas and lastly the tread areas. Any resulting bubbles will indicate where the leaks are located.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-11-08 1:05 PM
awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-11-11 8:25 PM (#113049 - in reply to #112914)

Thanks, Gard. Your opinion means a lot to me. I'll have to try and fix that spot. I took the trailer to school yesterday and had the boys from HCIS (Home and Commercial Integration Systems Program) take a look at all those wires. Had a class of about 20 boys looking at it. Mostly "city kids" who had never seen a horse trailer before. They thought the horses would be sleeping in the back while we relaxed up front. LOL These guys are good with home security, whole house audio and visual systems, so they had those wires figured out quickly. It was a class project so they had to do internet search for supplies/prices and give me written estimates of things, like new TV, mount, new marine speakers for the outside, switch to turn radio from outside to inside without using fader on radio. It was fun and a good learning experience for them. That black phone charger is hooked up to that microphone on the curtain valance and the speaker beside the coffeemaker. Set up for hands free phone so he could work while on the road I guess. That little antennae is with that too. They wanted to install a TV mount on the backside of the manger door, so we could open the door, attach the TV and watch it under the awning. I said, no, I'd rather watch the campfire.The guy who heads up the HVAC program wants me to bring it back when his guys are a little further along with their program.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-11-12 9:51 AM (#113070 - in reply to #112844)

Expert

I hope every one in the class gets an A+ for his effort. With all the unnecessary wiring removed, your storage will be increased and greatly simplified. Most similar  coffee makers have an under cabinet mount, which will free up the cabinet space and not occupy any counter area. We have one, and it works well. It will have to be within a few feet of a 110 V outlet

I'm surprised you were able to find enough parking space in the school lot for your trailer. It was probably the largest thing to occupy those spaces in a while. I bet the students have a new appreciation, for the various "outside" interests of the school's personnel. Don't mess with the boss; she can handle a big rig.

BOL  Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)