'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Heating questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-10-28 8:55 PM
8 replies, 5614 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Barbwire
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-10-28 3:37 PM (#112515)
Subject: Heating questions

I am just now starting to do research in the hopes of making a good choice when I get my first LQ trailer next year. I am very glad I found this site and have been pouring over it for days.  I must say I'm a bit overwhelmed by everything I have to learn. 

One of the things I've decided is I don't want to bother with an AC but heat is a must. I live in an area that gets quite cold and want to make sure my spring and fall weekend getaways are as comfortable as possible. Which is better, a heat strip or a furnace?

In my initial research I have found that some trailer makers don't put  a furnace in their trailers unless they have a 8' short wall or longer. I'm going to be shopping for a trailer with a 6' sw, no bigger.

What are some of the trailer makers that will put a furnace in a trailer of that size?

Another thing...where I camp, generators are really frowned upon.  A lot of people are switching over to solar panels. I don't require a microwave or TV but I wonder if the solar panels are enough to charge the batteries so I can run a propane furnace. Anyone have experience with solar?

Edited by Barbwire 2009-10-28 3:41 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-10-28 4:05 PM (#112518 - in reply to #112515)
Subject: RE: Heating questions

Extreme Veteran

Barb,

I had a new trailer that the solar charger did not seem to make a difference and the battery would always be low after 1 night. I didn't keep lights on except just for a few minutes at a time.

I bought an older trailer no charger and the batteries seemed to last longer but it had a furnace in the wall kinda like a fireplace. The trailer I have now I just did an overnight and the battery was in need of some charging before I could have stayed another night. With 2 batteries I am sure thia would not have been an issue.

I previously had a moisture control swith for the fridge on in the trailer which ran my batteries down quickly which could also explain my 1st trailer not holding a charge as that switch may have been on in that one I think the solar panels are not large enough to do a whole lot either.

I think for resale you would want AC. You may not be able to even get a living qtr without AC. Mine has AC and heat in the roof that needs 110v and then I a furnace that runs off LP and 12 volt so it is nice to have both if you plug in and not use yor battery or LP.
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-10-28 5:18 PM (#112522 - in reply to #112515)

Extreme Veteran

I too agree an AC unit is awesome on those humid summer afternoons when you just need a shower, hot dog, cold beer and a nap

Frankly we carry a generator and I will run it if rules allow as needed, I bought the Yamaha EF2400 which is perfect for AC, coffee and charging the batteries. 

I would prefer the gas furnace over the heat tape.  Propane tanks between heat and fridge lasts a long time.  (Yes we had the humidity switch in the wrong position once too

Our LQ has three 12v batteries two for the house and one dedicated to the electric jack. 

I would also recommend the larger fridge if possible Top freezer and bottom refer make all the diff. 

So much to consider.  We searched for ever and finally after painful trips far away we finally pulled the trigger on a used trailer.  So good luck and ask lots of questions. 

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-10-28 5:56 PM (#112523 - in reply to #112515)

Elite Veteran

Which is better, a heat strip or a furnace?

I myself for install a propane furnace or better yet....a Catalytic Heater.

I have friends with heat strips that they can't use them unless they are plugged into a generator or electric.

I have a propane furnace in my RV and I can run it for at least 24 hours (in very cold temps) without recharging my batteries with my generator or RV motor engine.

Good luck!

horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-10-28 6:14 PM (#112524 - in reply to #112515)

Veteran

Barbwire,

Definately get the furnace, the heat strips just don't cut it if it's cold outside. If you are buying new and don't want to get an air conditioner, at least have the trailer framed and wired for the AC. Like a previous poster mentioned, it will help at time of resale. 

Many trailer manufacturers and conversion companies do put furnaces in "weekender" living quarters.  I have a 6.5 foot LQ Featherlite with a furnace. My conversion happens to be a private conversion, but Featherlite does do factory conversions (for the same sized LQ) with furnaces.

The newer solar panels work well.  I don't have solar panels, but am considering them.  I have a small very quiet generator that I can run during the day to charge the batteries if I need to.  I place it in the back of the trailer with the exhaust pointing out the open back door.  It's barely audible.  Whether you have the solar or not, the key will be your batteries.  You will need at least two of them, preferably the big six volt ones hooked in series.  In that small of a LQ, a propane furnace won't have to run very much.  Even set at 55 degrees, the bunk area gets hot fast as soon as the furnace kicks on.

I understand the no microwave requirement.  I store toilet paper in my microware and use the propane stove to heat my water for coffee. However, if you are going new, if you have the microwave box and wiring put in, it would be good for resale.  If you find the open space objectionable, you could have a cabinet door installed.

Sheryl
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-10-28 6:36 PM (#112525 - in reply to #112515)

Veteran

Can someone tell me where this mysterious moisture control switch is located on the refrigerator so I can check mine?
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-10-28 6:38 PM (#112526 - in reply to #112515)

Extreme Veteran

The trick to having your solar system work well is to make sure that you have enough panels and batteries to run the appliances you wish to run. My solar system works very well. I seldom run my generator. Marla
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-10-28 7:59 PM (#112531 - in reply to #112525)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Sheryl on 2009-10-28 6:36 PM

Can someone tell me where this mysterious moisture control switch is located on the refrigerator so I can check mine?

It is inside the frame at the top when you open the door of fridge.
Keep it off and i never have moisture

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-10-28 8:55 PM (#112532 - in reply to #112515)

Expert

The small, inexpensive 110 V ceramic heaters work better than heat strips. The propane heaters are not physically very large, and can fit into LQs of almost any size. Here's one that would heat a fairly large LQ. A properly sized one for a 4' LQ would be much smaller.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-furnaces/camper-heaters.htm

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)