'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
1996 Sundowner Sportmans

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-10-01 3:23 PM
3 replies, 3226 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mscris
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-09-28 4:45 PM (#111210)
Subject: 1996 Sundowner Sportmans

I would like to hear what you have to say about this model. I am also trying to factor in these cost...this would be my first trailer.

It would need new tire and I am not sure what size tires it would use. (The MFG label has been recalled in 1998 because of incorrect information).

The bearings need to be packed and I would definately have the breaks done (replaced if necessary).  It has been sitting a few years and has not had any matinece.

Would I be able to fit a small water tank in the nose or just carry the blue water containers to the trailhead?

Thanks for your help.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sundownerofaiken
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-09-28 6:08 PM (#111213 - in reply to #111210)
Subject: RE: 1996 Sundowner Sportmans

What is the GVWR of the paticular trailer you are looking at? Typically on a 1996 Sportman we see 205/75 15 Load range C on that trailer. But remeber horse trailers can vary greatly from one trailer to the next due to being customized. It is my understanding the recall you are speaking of isn't for miss information it is because the DOT changed the requirements for the information that was printed on the MFG's label. Sundowner made the change for the new code and felt it was a good idea to bring it's previously built trailers that met the earlier DOT code, up to the new DOT code. Call your local repair shop for an estimate on repacking the bearings and replacing the backing plates. Labor rates vary across the country. Typically we charge 1 hour per wheel to repack and add 15 minutes per wheel to replace the backing plates while we are repacking. How many gallons is your small water tank?
mscris
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-09-28 6:34 PM (#111214 - in reply to #111210)

I have nothing... just the 15 hand, 1000 lbs horse. The desire to get out more and not have to rely on anyone. I really wanted a tack room but this one is worth checking out. I really don't know if I should be holding out. I've been looking for about a year.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-10-01 3:23 PM (#111321 - in reply to #111210)

Expert

If it helps, I have one of this for my runabout, search and rescue trailer, for getting in and out of tight spots......it has been great and no issues at all.  I bought it sitting in knee high grass, gingerly took it and put a set of tires on it, and had the bearings packed, (they were fine, but that gave me a service starting point) and it has done very well) The slide out saddle racks come out individually, if you wanted to customize the way you use the tack area.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)