'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bumper Pull Dressing room conversions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-10-13 10:39 AM
4 replies, 11739 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Amy&2Poneez
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-10-12 1:44 PM (#111767)
Subject: Bumper Pull Dressing room conversions

New User

Hi All,

This is my first post.  I've been reading through lots of forum threads (but there are thousands and couldn't look through all) and I have a question about LQ conversions.  I have a 2008 Kiefer Built Evolution, 3H slant, bumper pull (steel frame, aluminum skin, wood floor) with a big dressing room.  Its got a 2 foot short wall, and 6 1/2 foot long wall.  My sister and I bought it with the plan of insulating the dressing room and building a "room" out of the dressing room. 

*My main question is if anybody knows of any good ideas for doing this.  I am thinking of a Murphy type bed  (it is extra tall), and maybe some cabinets?  I think this could be done easier due to the steel frame? 

*Also, wondering if anybody has any clever things that they have done with a small space. 

*Finally, I've been looking at lots of pictures of LQ conversions and see lots of trailers before the walls are put up.  What type of insulation do people use?

All Suggestions and pictures are welcome!!! 

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-10-12 2:24 PM (#111769 - in reply to #111767)
Subject: RE: Bumper Pull Dressing room conversions

Expert

Welcome to HTW!!! This site may give you a few pointers, this trailer has a 4 foot short wall...  http://todd.redwrench.com/index.htm

shags
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-10-12 6:10 PM (#111781 - in reply to #111767)

Regular

I didn't insulate walls and all that because I want something I can hose down, but I made the DR of my 3 horse slant Keifer Genesis BP cozy and comfortable for overnights. I'm partially finished, only a few things to do yet.

A cot fits along the long wall, and under that goes a plastic storage box and a cooler. I bought a plastic base cabinet, meant for a garage and put that where the brush box was; the brush box and some wire baskets were hung above. That gives me a little workspace and convenient storage at hand. Two racks of hooks were hung on the short walls over the spare tire, and a towel bar fit just right on the long wall for (clean only!) horseblankets. On the little wall just inside the door I hung a mesh/canvas organizer. On the other side of the door I have a little mirror. I found a fold-up portable john that I put in the stalls during the day, but move into the DR at night for convenience.

My little cabinet holds a ton of stuff for a little 'kitchen', first aid stuff, my dogs' food and pans, clean towels and other powder room supplies. No cowboy shower yet, but I can bird bath with a carboy of water and a dishpan. It's not great, but doable for a weekend.

A battery-operated lantern comes in handy since we're usually parked in the boonies. I hang it on the bridle hooks.

With all that stuff I still have room for a few folding chairs and a collapsible tailgate table (for use outdoors).

Basic and a little rough, but just about everything I need is in there...except a safe little heater. Anyone know of one?

Good luck with your project

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-10-13 9:50 AM (#111799 - in reply to #111767)

Elite Veteran

I bought a Mr Buddy heater off of e-bay early this year.. Haven't used it yet, but am going to try it this season.. i bought it intending to use it in a tent, if possible, since I don't have anything even remotely resembling a LQ.. It has an auto shutoff for low oxygen situations and is reputed to be safe. It runs off of a propane cylinder just like a camper cookstove..
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-10-13 10:39 AM (#111802 - in reply to #111767)

Expert

Originally written by Amy&2Poneez on 2009-10-12 1:44 PM

Hi All,

This is my first post.  I've been reading through lots of forum threads (but there are thousands and couldn't look through all) and I have a question about LQ conversions.  I have a 2008 Kiefer Built Evolution, 3H slant, bumper pull (steel frame, aluminum skin, wood floor) with a big dressing room.  Its got a 2 foot short wall, and 6 1/2 foot long wall.  My sister and I bought it with the plan of insulating the dressing room and building a "room" out of the dressing room. 

*My main question is if anybody knows of any good ideas for doing this.  I am thinking of a Murphy type bed  (it is extra tall), and maybe some cabinets?  I think this could be done easier due to the steel frame? 

*Also, wondering if anybody has any clever things that they have done with a small space. 

*Finally, I've been looking at lots of pictures of LQ conversions and see lots of trailers before the walls are put up.  What type of insulation do people use?

All Suggestions and pictures are welcome!!! 

Thanks!

I have done 1 bumper pull CM steel trailer and a couple of S&H gooseneck trailers with 2' SW's.  I use an insulation board from Home Depot that is either a 1/2" or 3/4" thick then cover it with real wood paneling that is around 1/4" to 3/8" thick, this is a raw wood with no coatings so the finshed product I used either a cedar stain or what ever color I want on the interior.  The last one I used a cedar stain and used 1x2 cedar boards to trim it with.  Looks great when done.

As far as equipment, mine was basic small electric frig. from HD, roof a/c on sale from Camping World, light from Camping World 1 for electric and 1 for 12 volt and 1 cot from Wal Mart and 1 small cabinet from HD that had a mirror and med cabinet built in.  Total price for extras was around  $500. including wire and box for a/c.  I spend around $100. for the wood, insulation on 1 and alomost $300.00 on the other with all the extra cedar wood.

All real easy to do, just think about it a day or to, write down what you are wanting, draw you a couple pictures to refer to and start working when you have time to do it in 1 or 2 days.

Good Luck, HTB

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)