'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
bison stratus express

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-10-21 11:50 AM
16 replies, 11790 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

quigley
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-01 6:09 PM (#107446)
Subject: bison stratus express

New User

Sorry, new at this. Anyone have a bison stratus express with glide out? Just bought one and the glide leaks water to the L.Q. and also dust. Doesn't seem to be sealed well. Any way to fix this?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
D sq
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-07-01 8:33 PM (#107455 - in reply to #107446)
Subject: RE: bison stratus express

Regular

make sure the trailer is level front to back and side to side before you put the slide out.
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-07-02 9:12 AM (#107460 - in reply to #107446)

Veteran

The hardware used in Bison slideouts aren't as stout as some competitors, making it very shaky.  As the previous poster mentioned, try making sure the trailer is level.  Bison uses slideout hardware similar to a camper and horse trailer people don't normally have the luxury of having nice, flat campgrounds.  I would contact the dealer.  If the seal doesn't touch in places, you should be able to get a wider seal flap and that may solve it.

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct at DoubleDTrailers.com

jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-07-02 10:51 AM (#107463 - in reply to #107446)

Extreme Veteran

Hey Quigley, I think that if you have your dealer make some minor adjustments to seals and slide, you should be in good shape.  I have a Stratus Express with a slide myself.  I also sell this brand of trailers as well as trailers from six other manufacturers (Eby, Elite, Hawk, Kiefer, Sundowner, and Titan).  We pull our trailer on gravel roads and it sits out all the time; and no leaks.  Yours just needs some adjustment.

I really hate to see a dealer or manufacturer on this forum that bashes another product.  If Mr. Heath were a Bison dealer or had an engineering degree in slideout deesign; he would be much more credible in his "shaky" acquisiations.  I purchased my Stratus Express slide after I had seen what a tremendous neck structure and bottom rail this trailer has.  I had seen this model trailer after it had been in a severe jack-knife situation with a dually pickup towing it.  The truck was totaled; but BECAUSE of the way that Bison builds there neck and rail system, the trailer sustained skin damage only.  Yes, that was the trailer I purchased after the repairs were made.  It pulls straight as an arrow, slide works great; isn't "shaky" one bit.  In fact, I know that a major slide manufacturer tried to hire Bison's slide engineer away from them. 

So, Quigley; you have a very good product, that I'm sure you purchased at a very good price.  Just have the adjustments made, and you should be fine.  PM me if you need further help.

Mr. Heath, you can also send me a PM, or call me at 800 659-4051. 

JIM TEMPLE  MIDWAY TRAILER SALES  OTTAWA, IL. 

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-07-02 3:41 PM (#107468 - in reply to #107463)

Veteran

My comments were based on my first hand experiences and observations with the Bison slideouts.  As for credibility, I design trailers everyday, and I do have an undergraduate engineering degree to go along with my MBA.  I will admit, my school did not have a 'slideout' engineering program.

Mr. Temple, please provide your fax # and I will be happy to fax you a copy of my engineering degree. 

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct at DoubleDTrailers.com

Edited by DD_TrailerMan 2009-07-03 12:05 AM
quigley
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-09 1:05 PM (#107740 - in reply to #107463)

New User

Thanks for the info but I bought this from an out of state dealer (con artist) called Dixie Horse and Mule Co. and they refuse to do anything about it. Bison went bankrupt and Dixie couldn't care less about customer satisfaction. They left me on my own. This unit also has an opening in the trailer floor to the glide motor and you could see right into the L.Q. I put some plastic over this hole but the thing still leaks all around the glide. I had an RV dealer look at it and they too said it was a design problem with poor seals. I have tried everything to seal this unit and it still leaks water and dust. It leaks water wheather the glide is in Or out. This is an express, different from a plain stratus in design. Any dealers near Iowa that think they can fix it?Thanks
orangeoval
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-07-09 1:38 PM (#107742 - in reply to #107446)

I know the folks at Dixie Horse and Mule to be very good people. I assure you this can be fixed. I am a dealer for Bison 30 min. south of KC. Kansas. We would be happy to assist you in any way we can. Feel free to contact our service MGR. Cliff Sparks at 800-991-3456.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-07-09 1:38 PM (#107743 - in reply to #107446)

Expert

(quote)... Thanks for the info but I bought this from an out of state dealer (con artist) called Dixie Horse and Mule Co. and they refuse to do anything about it.

First of all, I don't believe the above statement....

This must be a different Dixie Horse and Mule than what I'm used to hearing about.... Don usually bends over backwards to help folks that didn't even buy a trailer from them...

You sure you're telling everything...? Cause I tend to think you're leaving something out. How about some more particulars... Why wouldn't DHMC repair the trailer? Did you take it back to them?

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2009-07-09 2:37 PM (#107746 - in reply to #107446)

Retento / Orangeoval, thanks for the kind words.  I am very familar with this customer.  I advised him of the Bison bankrupcy, offered to fix his trailer in my shop free, then offered to send him a fair amount of dollars to have it fixed locally.  He refused both, was very rude to me, and threatened legal action.  That is the point at which I bowed out and withdrew both offers.  He is truthful about being on his own now.  THANKS,  DON SMITH, OWNER, DIXIE HORSE & MULE CO.   
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-07-09 2:57 PM (#107748 - in reply to #107446)

Can't much blame Don at that point. People tend to lock up when threatened with legal action because from that point on, every single thing that is said or done will be scrutinized. That should always be a last resort when nothing is being done to help. In this case, it sounds like he was more than fair in trying to assist you.
MSM
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-07-09 3:29 PM (#107750 - in reply to #107446)

Regular

Another option is go to camping world and purchase a set of tipout/slider jack stands. Using these will allow you to park and setup on uneven ground. The jack stands will allow you to level up your slideout and it will also ad stability.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-07-09 3:53 PM (#107756 - in reply to #107446)

Expert

I agree with Retento. In my dealings with DHMC, Don and his crew have been nothing but professional and helpful. Many accolades have been written about their quality of service to non buyers, and customers alike, from all over the country. I have offered mine as well.

No business will please everyone. However, this thread concerns more than just what was told by the poster.

Gard

drbart
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-10-18 9:47 AM (#112023 - in reply to #107446)

New User

I had some questions and concerns with a trailer I recently purchased and contacted Dixie Horse and Mule. I found them to be very courteous, professional, and helpful even though I did not purchase my trailer from them. I would definately consider doing business with this company in the future. ABB
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-10-18 11:40 AM (#112025 - in reply to #107446)

Extreme Veteran

Since they sell these, I'd say your issue is not a unique one and though some are likely sealed better then others, they are still going to have a certain amount of issue that all things that rely on rubber seals will have. Especially as they get older. They can't seal them too tight as then they would not slide out easily.

http://www.rvstuffusa.com/rvslideoutawning.html

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/rvttsa.asp?m=01020300

http://www.girardrvawnings.com/products/rv_slide-out_awnings_g50001.php

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-10-20 8:11 PM (#112150 - in reply to #107746)

Expert

Originally written by Dixie Horse & Mule on 2009-07-09 3:37 PM

Retento / Orangeoval, thanks for the kind words.  I am very familar with this customer.  I advised him of the Bison bankrupcy, offered to fix his trailer in my shop free, then offered to send him a fair amount of dollars to have it fixed locally.  He refused both, was very rude to me, and threatened legal action.  That is the point at which I bowed out and withdrew both offers.  He is truthful about being on his own now.  THANKS,  DON SMITH, OWNER, DIXIE HORSE & MULE CO.   

Don...I guess the OP has NEVER been taught the expression of NOT biting the hand that feeds you...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2009-10-20 8:20 PM

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2009-10-21 7:34 AM (#112165 - in reply to #107446)

Thanks Paul!  Yes, I really wanted to help him, but he wanted a pound of flesh.  THX  DON
liv to ride
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2009-10-21 11:50 AM (#112186 - in reply to #107740)

Veteran

Boy howdy did you screw up. I have never done business with Dixie Horse and Mule but after reading all the posts on this site that have nothing but GOOD THINGS to say about them. They are the first people I would look to if I was in the market for a trailer, and I live on the other end of the U.S. from them. Sounds like you let your frustrations over your trailer override your good sense. Too Bad. Good luck with getting your trailer fixed.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)