'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
applying for certificate of title: inspection required?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-17 10:47 PM
3 replies, 4655 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2009-09-17 10:19 AM (#110794)
Subject: applying for certificate of title: inspection required?

Regular

i bought a 3horse merhow w/wkend LQ package over a year ago and am still working on getting the title transferred.  the trailer came from kentucky, with the certificate of title, showing clear title, according to state of kentucky.

everytime i go to the texas motor vehicle division, they want something else before they will transfer the title.  (first they wanted a sale contract, even tho previous owner signed the transfer on back of certificate of title; then they wanted his signature on the application for texas certicate of title; then, they decided they needed an orginal copy of the release of lien AND now they want me to have it inspected.)

the first 'inspecter' i took it to told me he can't inspect it as it is not a motor vehicle and that the Tx motor vehicle division is confused.  try telling that to the people at the courthouse.  their repeated response is that because the trailer weights 4778, it must be inspected (and get an inspection tag.)

i don't want to accuse the nice ladies at the motor vehicle division of being a bunch of idiots (that certainly won't help me get the title transferred!) but i can't convince them the trailer is not a motor vehicle.  any suggestions??

has anyone else run into this problem?  can you get an inspection sticker for a horse trailer?  we are already looking for a trailer with a bigger LQ but i can't sell this one until i get the title transferred.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-09-17 12:45 PM (#110805 - in reply to #110794)
Subject: RE: applying for certificate of title: inspection required?

Expert

Originally written by amysbean on 2009-09-17 10:19 AM

i bought a 3horse merhow w/wkend LQ package over a year ago and am still working on getting the title transferred.  the trailer came from kentucky, with the certificate of title, showing clear title, according to state of kentucky.

everytime i go to the texas motor vehicle division, they want something else before they will transfer the title.  (first they wanted a sale contract, even tho previous owner signed the transfer on back of certificate of title; then they wanted his signature on the application for texas certicate of title; then, they decided they needed an orginal copy of the release of lien AND now they want me to have it inspected.)

the first 'inspecter' i took it to told me he can't inspect it as it is not a motor vehicle and that the Tx motor vehicle division is confused.  try telling that to the people at the courthouse.  their repeated response is that because the trailer weights 4778, it must be inspected (and get an inspection tag.)

i don't want to accuse the nice ladies at the motor vehicle division of being a bunch of idiots (that certainly won't help me get the title transferred!) but i can't convince them the trailer is not a motor vehicle.  any suggestions??

has anyone else run into this problem?  can you get an inspection sticker for a horse trailer?  we are already looking for a trailer with a bigger LQ but i can't sell this one until i get the title transferred.

Yes you must have a bill of sale, a release of lien (original), a weight ticket showing empty weight of trailer and then go to your local Police department or DPS office and tell them you need an inspection.  Most will know what you are asking for.  I do this all the time in the FT.WORTH office.  Real easy to do.  Plus  my mother works for the County.

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2009-09-17 12:55 PM (#110807 - in reply to #110794)

Regular

aahhhh,  so it is the DPS or city police station that does the inspection?  i was told to go to any garage or gas station that does inspections (for the annual tag that goes on windshield of car/truck).  maybe this will work.  i sure appreciate your help, thanks!
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-09-17 10:47 PM (#110826 - in reply to #110794)

Expert

Correct not a regular inspection station.  What the court house is looking for is a physical inspection to verify the vin matches the trailer and there is actually a trailer.  Some trailer dealers can do this as well.  Just tell them you are needing a physical inspection to transfer an out of state trailer.  Can also check with an RV dealer they run into this alot.  The court house might not ask for a wieght ticket, but I would get it just incase.  You can do this at just about any truck stop, just tell the weight clerk that you need an empty weight then unhook the trailer on the scale and weigh just the trailer.

All of this is really easy, the lazy people at the court house try and make a big deal out of it, because most of them have no clue what to do.  Mom tells me this all the time.  Lucky for me I have been doing this since 1983 and she has been there since 1979 so we kinda know the in's and out's....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)