'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Water in hose connection is H-O-T !!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-07 10:22 PM
6 replies, 3875 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

FC06446
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-09-07 7:23 PM (#110368)
Subject: Water in hose connection is H-O-T !!!

First, I am a woman and know nothing about a LQ, nor do I have a competent place close to me that services them.  Having said that, can anyone give me a head start as to what might cause the water in my hose, which is connected from the city water to my trailer, to become scalding hot?  This last trip, when I hooked up to the city water, I later noticed the hose itself was extremely hot.  And, when I disconnected the hose from my trailer, it came gushing out of the trailer like a pump inside is pushing it out; and its hot, hot, hot.  Everything on the inside appears to be working correctly.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-09-07 8:31 PM (#110374 - in reply to #110368)
Subject: RE: Water in hose connection is H-O-T !!!

Elite Veteran

Hot...when it first runs out? Hot...no matter how long you run it? Is it hot from the cold faucet also? Is your hot water heater on?
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2009-09-07 8:51 PM (#110376 - in reply to #110368)

Veteran

Could the sun have heated the water in the hose?
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-09-07 9:35 PM (#110378 - in reply to #110368)

Expert

Originally written by FC06446 on 2009-09-07 7:23 PM

First, I am a woman and know nothing about a LQ, nor do I have a competent place close to me that services them.  Having said that, can anyone give me a head start as to what might cause the water in my hose, which is connected from the city water to my trailer, to become scalding hot?  This last trip, when I hooked up to the city water, I later noticed the hose itself was extremely hot.  And, when I disconnected the hose from my trailer, it came gushing out of the trailer like a pump inside is pushing it out; and its hot, hot, hot.  Everything on the inside appears to be working correctly.

Seeing you are just south of me, I would say it is from setting in the sun!  Ours does this and we have to let the water run for a few before using it.

Check around Austin, there is a few LARGE RV dealerships and service centers around there.

FC06446
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-09-07 9:47 PM (#110381 - in reply to #110368)

It was at night.  Rains were in the area and temps were cooler than normal on Saturday.  Also, I've never had the water come back out of the trailer like it was being pumped.  It wasn't just dribbling out.  It was coming out horizontal.

I did have the water heater on.

301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-09-07 9:52 PM (#110382 - in reply to #110368)

Veteran

I don't know what your outside air temp is right now, but I can tell you that during the high school finals at Farmington, New Mexico this July you didn't dare take a shower in the daytime and that was with a white rv water hose and all but about 8' of it shoved under the trailer.  It was scalding hot literally.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-09-07 10:22 PM (#110383 - in reply to #110368)

Expert

There are two valves that might be inspected, which can cause your problem. One is a check valve that is usually installed on the inlet line from the city water to your cold water system line. If this fails, the water will exit from the interior to the exterior, when the exterior pressure is less than the interior pressure.

The second valve is a Temperature and Pressure relief valve that is installed on your hot water heater. It has a drain that dumps water out of your system when it becomes too hot, or there is too much water pressure in your system. If this fails closed, the interior pressure will increase as the temperature rises.

There is a handle on the top of it. By pulling it open, you can activate the valve which may well never have been moved, and may be stuck closed. You should immediately see water escaping from an orifice underneath the valve body when your system is pressurised. If this fails, and the inlet check valve doesn't seat, it will force water out of the inlet fitting.

Many heater thermostats are often set at less than 130 degrees, to limit any skin burns upon direct contact with hot water. If the thermostat becomes faulty, this can also cause an excessive temperature increase, which will result in increased system pressure and the problem previously noted.

Another long shot is your water pump. It has an internal check valve. If this were to leak, pressurised hot water could back feed through the pump into your cold water source. That also could possibly be a cause of the symptoms you describe. However, because of the smaller volume allowed by the interior passages of the pump, you would not experience a large rushing of water from your exterior fitting if this valve fails.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-09-07 10:33 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World