'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camping out in South Dakota next summer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-03 10:13 PM
14 replies, 5268 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-09-01 7:57 AM (#110185)
Subject: Camping out in South Dakota next summer

Veteran

THe hubby said pick your day to leave to with the horses next summer and we will go. I'm so excited! Not total sure where we should go, but I do want a few things at the camp. Stalls, water, elect., maybe sewer. a nice bath house and trails with alot of different type of land (hills, woods, creek crossing , interesting rock formations. I'm I asking for to to much? How soon do you make reservation? Is now to early? I'm thinking maybe Broken Arrow Campground. We have never been out there with horses before and this is dream come to true. Can anyone give me some suggestions?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bjos
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-09-01 9:18 AM (#110188 - in reply to #110185)
Subject: RE: Camping out in South Dakota next summer

You will love SD!!! We went there with our horses this past summer and camped @ Broken Arrow campground. They have nice accommadations! Everything is top notch and super clean! They also have lots of trails to ride out of camp on! You can also ride into Custer park from there! I would highly recommend this place. The hosts are also "really there to help" as they meet you when you drive in and help you get everything situated. I would book early if you are going there as they fill up fast. Hope you enjoy your vacation as much as we did. They have a website www.brokenarrowhorsecamp.com
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-09-01 11:41 AM (#110191 - in reply to #110185)

Elite Veteran

I too, went to Broken Arrow this summer.  Remember it is a campground for all people, not just a horse campground.  4 wheelers, bicycles.

It is very clean and the trails are good. 

dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-09-01 1:26 PM (#110192 - in reply to #110185)

Veteran

Were able to ride different trail everyday? How long did you stay? Was it to short or to long? Does each campsite have a fire pit or just one big for everyone to visit around?
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-09-01 1:29 PM (#110193 - in reply to #110185)

Veteran

We got back from Broken Arrow about 2 weeks ago. Very nice. The trails were not as detailed in their markings as the map would have you believe. However, they were working on correcting the problem. Metal diamonds with numbers that were suppose to be on trees were missing. We saw a moose on the trail (whoa!!!!!!....he was big!) and buffalo. 2 hours south is Fort Robinson. If you are interested in frontier history, I can not say enough good things about it. Great accomodations for your horses (stables were used when horses were very much a part of the fort, including Olympic mounts). Trails were nice.

We engaged in conversation at a feed store on the east side of the Missouri River. Turned out the fellow was president of the brand inspection board, and we had a horse that had a brand. We had coggins, health and ownership papers, but was told if stopped, that was not enough. Also told a "red alert" had been issued for west of the river for inspections.  Long story short, we ended up at the Winner, SD livestock auction barn, with an inspector called in. We now have "life inspections" on the horses. West of the river we were never stopped.

dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-09-01 2:40 PM (#110195 - in reply to #110185)

Veteran

Does anyone know which month would better go June or July? Aug is to busy for us and starting in Sept. we are driving school bus. I guess we pick June it would be late June.
bjos
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-09-01 4:30 PM (#110199 - in reply to #110185)

We were there in the middle of June and had awesome weather. Also NO Bugs!! I guess the week before we were there they had some rain. Also another bit of info. They recommend shoes for your horses as some of the trails are very rocky. We had ours done and were very glad we did! And you can ride on different trails everyday. We had abit of trouble with following the maps too-but they are working on it. We would like to go back again!!
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-09-02 8:20 AM (#110214 - in reply to #110185)

Veteran

We usually shoe just the fronts of our horses but I was planning on having shoe on all four when we head to SD. I was thinking on having the farrier come the week before we leave.
bjos
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-09-03 8:15 AM (#110242 - in reply to #110185)

we had shoes put on the week before too-All 4. I think it's a good idea-they do have a farrier out there that will come out if you would happen to lose one. A gal in our group had to have him come out. Another thing about Broken Arrow-it is a RV camp too and you can't bring your horses into your campground but they do provide carts to bring your tack to the pens for your horses-It wasn't a problem for us -but I thought I'd let you know. They also do have a fire ring at each campsite. They also have a couple of pens for your horses to roll in after a ride or when you get there to stretch out after a long drive. We thought that was great!! You'll really like the hosts too -very nice -down to earth people!
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-09-03 8:19 AM (#110243 - in reply to #110185)

Veteran

I read that the horses stay down by the stalls and they have wheel barrows to move your saddles. Do you bring your own water pails or are there water containers in the stalls already? Do you bring your hay bags or do they have hayrack in the stalls?
bjos
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-09-03 9:24 AM (#110245 - in reply to #110185)

You do need to bring your own pails and haybags. They have a super long hose that reaches so filling them is easy. They do want you to secure your water pails to the stalls tho. We just tied ours to the railing. Cleaning them is easy too as the bunker is right by the stalls. Ours were in the covered stalls. there are some that aren't covered too but we wanted the covered ones. You will love this place!! We sure did!
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-09-03 2:00 PM (#110254 - in reply to #110185)

Veteran

You just answered a question that I forgot to ask, would you go back again. How was the quality of hay that they had for sale?
bjos
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-09-03 6:38 PM (#110259 - in reply to #110185)

I can't really tell you the quality of hay that they had for sale as we brought our own and so did the people that we went with. Sorry I can't give you more info on that.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-09-03 9:45 PM (#110266 - in reply to #110185)

When we went to SD in 2007, we bought local certified weed free hay to supplement the cubes and stuff we were feeding.  We only bought a couple of bales because it was about $9 per.  We also had rock pads put on all 4 feet of both horses we took.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-09-03 10:13 PM (#110268 - in reply to #110185)

Elite Veteran

The hay was native SD, but the horses cleaned it up better than our home grown.  They do not provide shavings, but we bought some at the local farm store.  Most people there did not bed their stalls that  I could see. 

They have a trailer to rent if you want to ride Harney PEak or to Mt Rushmore.  The campground was pretty much full up the whole time we were there.  Whole campground very clean.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)