'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
question about load and air springs

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-01 9:16 AM
1 replies, 2959 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

leapfarm
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-31 9:40 PM (#110180)
Subject: question about load and air springs

I learned a good lesson about this forum---ask one question per post.  If you ask two sometimes the thread takes off on one of the questions and people forget about the other one...learn something new every day.  I so appreciate this forum though; it is great!

So, my 2000 Dodge diesel 2500 Ram has no problem pulling my new Lakota 2H GN slantload LQ (7ft, little LQ; box is only 17.5 ft long...sweet) No problem braking and tracks well.  Only problem is that I just feel every bump in the road now.  To me, it seems like a shock issue. My previous trailer was 4600 pounds (actual weight, not GVWR) and this trailer is 6000 pounds, actual weight, well within the limits of towing with this truck.  The trailer did not lower the bed of the truck past level, so it is not squatting low and the whole rig is riding pretty dead level.  I have heard that a rough ride can be solved by air springs and/or one of those cushion apparatus (apparati??spelling??) on the gooseneck hitch. 

Question is: will adding air springs raise the bed of the truck so much that the trailer will not ride level?  I know that when trailers ride too high in the front, you can end up blowing a lot of rear axle tires on the trailer.

Thanks again for any input.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-09-01 9:16 AM (#110187 - in reply to #110180)
Subject: RE: question about load and air springs

Expert

The truck should be able to pull a 6K # trailer without a problem, however you may again have two or more issues, The truck is sitting level. The truck is riding rough when it's loaded, you want a softer ride with air bags.

A rough ride when loaded, can be caused by several components. You may be at the maximum capacity of the main spring pacs'  limitations, that allows the suspension to hit the stops when you encounter bumps under dynamic loading. A worn out set of shocks, will also allow the suspension to quickly settle onto the stops, when the truck hits a series of bumps. You may not have enough overload spring capacity, to handle the additional weight. Any of these conditions will effect a rough ride and not change the static stance.

The fact that your truck sits level when loaded, would indicated that your main spring pacs are adequate for the initial load. I would lean towards worn shocks and inadequate overload springs. I believe the rough ride you feel when under load and moving, is caused by the axle hitting its suspension stops.

Air bags and air shocks will increase your load capacity, and should eliminate the suspension interference. Another non-air suspension mod that adds capacity, is the use of Timbren overload spring systems, of which I'm a strong advocate. There is no maintenance or any air adjustments after they are installed.

As you mentioned, you do not want to add any suspension modifications that will increase the stock ride height. Some air bags systems will do this. The air shocks and Timbrens will not.

Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)