'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
All Aluminum Trailer VS Aluminum Skin With Steel Frame

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-21 7:55 AM
4 replies, 6359 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

heathherc
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-20 4:43 PM (#109706)
Subject: All Aluminum Trailer VS Aluminum Skin With Steel Frame

New User

I need some opnions please!

I live in the Pacific NW close to the coast and am looking at buying a new trailer (new to me anyhow) I want aluminum because they hold up better out here with the salt air, but I'm finding alot are aluminum skin and steel frame. I hear good and bad about them.

One I like in particular is an 05 Kiefer Built Eagle XLA two horse, aluminum skin with a steel frame.

I'm also considering at 94 Silverado all aluminum two horse trailer with aluminum floor and frame as well.

How do the aluminum and steel trailers hold up compared to the all aluminum and what are opnions on these two brands.

I'm wanting to make a decision in the next day or two, so any advice would be great.

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-08-20 5:53 PM (#109714 - in reply to #109706)
Subject: RE: All Aluminum Trailer VS Aluminum Skin With Steel Frame

Veteran

heathherc,

Silverado makes an outstanding aluminum trailer.  I work for an organization that runs aluminum Silverado goose necks heavily loaded on rough forest service roads in the mountains.  They hold up.  I also have two friends with Silverados, one steel bumper pull and one an aluminum LQ GN.  They both really like their trailers.  Silverado, because it is Oregon made, is not well known outside of the PNW.  I believe that the Silverado is superior to the Kiefer Built hands down.

heathherc
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-20 6:02 PM (#109715 - in reply to #109706)

New User

Thank you for the info, very good info.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-20 10:05 PM (#109746 - in reply to #109706)

Expert

A trailer is only as good as its craftsmanship and materials. When an attempt is made to combine dissimilar metals in close proximity, there is always a chance of creating a condition called galvanic corrosion. If the metals touch, or are electrically linked by water, humidity or debris, the aluminum will corrode and fail.  Because aluminum is much softer than mild steel, it will decay almost four times faster than the steel.

The two metals are typically isolated by paints, epoxy, mylar tapes and other insulators. If these materials are competently applied, chances are you may enjoy a trouble free trailer ownership. If the assembly was rushed, and the applications were incomplete, you may experience an early failure.

As a consumer, it is almost impossible to know how well the individual brands of trailers are made. Reputation by example is one of best. How are the trailers of XXX brand holding up after five years or ten years? Is it a new company or has it been around for a while? It takes time for these problems to develop. How long is the warranty? What does it include?

FRP construction was popular some time ago. While heavy, it was very strong. It was also a relatively inexpensive material, and was used by several manufacturers. It was only later discovered, that insufficient caulking and sealing allowed moisture to penetrate into the plywood core material, and cause significant wall delaminations. This took years to learn.

Manufactures are constantly trying to improve their products and reduce their costs. Just as with automobiles, John Q Public is the test dummy, that usually pays for the manufacturers' testing. Not all the new ideas and materials are suitable, and can fail in the field. Not all small companies can afford large suitability trials. They build something, hope it works, and change it if it doesn't. You may be the one with the obsolete model.

Reputation. Talk with other owners. Research the materials as best as possible, and go with a known product. Unless you're an engineer, those are about the only way to determine if a trailer is a good one or not.

Gard

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-08-21 7:55 AM (#109758 - in reply to #109706)

Expert

I've had two all Aluminum and two Aluminun skin over steel frames.  All 4 trailers have served me just fine. I've bought and sold trailers as my needs have changed, not because the trailers were breaking or failing.

Pick a trailer that has the features that you like the most.   Tack Room, Mangers. hay racks, awning, Dressing Room vs LQ, Size and layout of LQ I think are all more important than Skinned vs Solid aluminum discussion.

For me, in the last 5 years, I've found the Aluminum skin over steel frame offered me more features for the money.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)