'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Mat Installation

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-18 10:21 PM
6 replies, 3827 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

debbienabby
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-08-18 1:18 PM (#109574)
Subject: Trailer Mat Installation

New User

I just bought a new straight load trailer.  The mats are about 30" wide and placed horizontal across the trailer floor.  I have a mare that jumps up and down and walks in place.  In the process, she bunches up the rear floor mat against the back door.  I am thinking of having the mats replaced so the horse is on one mat with both the front and rear feet.  Does anyone have any ideas on the best configuration of trailer mats for a straight load?  Also, would it be best to anchor them at the front of the stall or in the corners or not at all? 

The only drawback I can see having the mats be installed lengthwise is they will be heavier to move.  Any opinions are appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-08-18 1:48 PM (#109580 - in reply to #109574)
Subject: RE: Trailer Mat Installation

Veteran

Originally written by debbienabby on 2009-08-18 1:18 PM

I just bought a new straight load trailer.  The mats are about 30" wide and placed horizontal across the trailer floor.  I have a mare that jumps up and down and walks in place.  In the process, she bunches up the rear floor mat against the back door.  I am thinking of having the mats replaced so the horse is on one mat with both the front and rear feet.  Does anyone have any ideas on the best configuration of trailer mats for a straight load?  Also, would it be best to anchor them at the front of the stall or in the corners or not at all? 

The only drawback I can see having the mats be installed lengthwise is they will be heavier to move.  Any opinions are appreciated.

1.What kind of floor do you have because I don't think anchoring to an aluminum floor would be the best idea in the world.

2. Why does your horse jump and walk in place while trailering maybe getting this solved would just save you money so you don't have to replace your floor.  

3. I don't think the mats are going to be any heavier the mats are not going to gain weight when you change the direction of them. x pounds is the same no matter what way it lays in my opinion.

4. What stall is the horse in, I would think if you put it in the front it would have more mats behind the mat it stands on this way have more weight behind the mat to keep it from moving.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-18 4:09 PM (#109586 - in reply to #109574)

Expert

We've had two straight load trailers and three slant loads. The straight loads had mats running fore and aft. The slant loads all have the mats running width wise. We've never encountered the difficulties you're experiencing.

I would not screw the mats to the floor, until I have at least, tried first changing the mats' orientation. Are your mats made of a heavy thickness waffle or smooth, solid rubber construction, or the lighter foam type of material? The heavy solid types are difficult to move. Your mare would have a very difficult time of it, moving a heavy mat exactly cut to fit, while partially standing on a portion of it, and pawing at the same time.

Our mats could be moved within a trailer if there were any gaps around the perimeter. However, since they are cut exactly to size, there is no way they can move laterally, nor could they be "bunched" up because of their construction.

BOL  Gard

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-08-18 4:18 PM (#109588 - in reply to #109574)

Expert

Originally written by debbienabby on 2009-08-18 2:18 PM

How heavy or how thick are those mats? I got a slant and a straight load head to head and have never had any problems with the mats "wadding up" underneath their feet.... As brew26 said.... Might work on that horse's trailering manners, before doing any fastening down of your mats.

debbienabby
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-08-18 6:00 PM (#109602 - in reply to #109588)

New User

Thanks for your suggestions.  To answer some questions:  My trailer is a straight load with the mats running across the width instead of fore and aft.  The floor is wood.  The mats are just 1/2" thick and only 30" wide, so the back mat seam is right where my mare's back feet are.  It doesn't take much for the rear mat to buckle and get moved backwards.  I used to have a slant load and the horse stood on one mat, not 3 like this trailer.  

But, you guys are right in suggesting working on my mare's manners.  I am doing that and have not had her on the road-just in the pasture.  She is claustrophobic and starts doing her thing when the doors close and I leave.  She is fine if I am in the trailer (haven't tried that moving yet) or if she can see me outside the trailer.  Once I head for the truck she starts in.  She does this hauled with other horses too. The bunching up of the mat just happened with the trailer in the pasture so we weren't going anywhere.  I wanted to try having another person drive while I try to calm her in the trailer (or to see if the problem with her is being closed in alone or just moving), but need the mats to stay where they're supposed to.   

I thought with the mats running fore and aft, she would be standing on one mat, but it would be longer and a little wider than the existing mats so would be heavier.  I would still have to get 1/2" mats to make them even with the back threshold.  So, you don't think I should anchor them even at the fore?          

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-08-18 6:53 PM (#109605 - in reply to #109574)

Have you tried bedding her really deep in shavings?
debbienabby
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-08-18 10:21 PM (#109615 - in reply to #109574)

New User

No, I haven't put shavings in it yet since I haven't gotten her out on the road yet.  But, that may make a difference.  The rear mat expands in the heat and comes up over the top of the threshold so there's nothing to hold it from slipping backward.  I think that since it's not that wide, it's not heavy enough to keep from moving.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)