'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
BRITISH ISLES RIDING ?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-24 7:39 AM
6 replies, 4210 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-09 8:11 PM (#109193)
Subject: BRITISH ISLES RIDING ?

Expert

I was wondering if anyone has done any riding in Ireland, specifically the lake district of Burren in counties Clare and Galway. Thanks

Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ingta59
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-08-10 9:52 PM (#109239 - in reply to #109193)
Subject: RE: BRITISH ISLES RIDING ?

I went to Ireland about 7 years ago. Rode twice while I was there. The first time was at the Gap of Dunloe in the Kerry Mountains. The people were great. You could take a cart ride or ride the ponies. We opted to ride. Two of the shaggiest little ponies, not sure when they had last seen a curry comb or brush! But it was great fun and they were well behaved little guys! No guides or release forms. Just, here are the ponies, have a nice ride. It was rainy and cool, but that is Ireland. The second time we rode was I think in Connemara. This was a "real" riding school. We had to sign a release, wear a helmet and their riding boots. Also had to take a turn around the ring before heading out if you wanted to be in the "canter group". We rode out and to the beach where we had a nice little run in the sand. Both experiences were great fun and really added to our trip.Rode in Scotland too on a separate trip. Riding school again. Had a nice jaunt through the woods and fields. All and all riding was great in the British Isles but I have to say that it did make me appreciate my smooth walking horse mare back home!
traveller
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-08-11 10:36 AM (#109262 - in reply to #109193)

A good friend and I rode the Ring of Kerry ride in 2003.  We started at Kilarney where the stables were and rode from point to point, staying at designated bed and breakfast facilities along the way.  Breakfast and lunch were provided, we were on our own for dinner.  We rode on roads, paths, people's back property, a forest, etc., places you would never see except for this ride.  The horses were Gypsy Vanners, slow and sturdy, we did some gallops on two beaches.  It certainly wasn't a taxing ride, covering only about 20 miles a day or so, I think the attraction was more seeing the countryside in an unique manner.  There were only a few of us that completed the entire ride, most riders opted for only a couple days or so.  The owner of the stables was very informative about the countryside and quite a character.  While I enjoyed the ride, it was a bit too tame for my taste.  My friend had done the Connermara ride a few years earlier and I think she liked that ride better, I believe it might have been a bit more challenging.  One of the features of that ride included swimming in the ocean with your Connermara pony which I think she really enjoyed.  She liked the ponies so much that she bought a Connermara-Arab cross when she came home.  She has done everything with that horse, including distance riding, driving competitions and lower level dressage.  We booked the ride thru Equitours but I don't think they feature the Ring of Kerry ride anymore.  If you google the Kilarney Riding stables it will bring up the information about the facility and they are still doing the Ring of Kerry ride.  The Connermara ride is still part of the Equitour itinerary.  I would like to ride in Scotland, but finances seem to be a bit tight so I probably won't ever make it there.  Hope you have a lovely trip.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-08-11 10:51 AM (#109264 - in reply to #109193)

Elite Veteran

I've done a bunch of riding holidays all over the world, but the Coastal Connemara Ride ending in Galway was one of my favorites.  Willie Leahy is the guide and is aptly known as a "likebable rogue".  His horses are quite good - mostly draft/connemara mixtures, with some arab, TB, etc.  You do need to be in good shape and ready to trot alot (posting)

The scenery is first rate, great lunches on the trail and in the hotels, greart variety of terrain, but no matter when you ride in Ireland it's cold and wet.  Be prepared with long underwear, wool sweaters, several pairs of riding gloves as they will get wet, outback coat, and a sense of humor.

I hope to return again someday... 

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-11 4:11 PM (#109282 - in reply to #109193)

Expert

Thanks for the information and great recollections. My wife and I have been to Ireland in the past; beautiful people, history and country. This weekend, she, my daughter and a friend are going for a riding vacation. ( Someone has to stay home and watch the animals)

Here's their trip and itinerary:

http://www.hiddentrails.com/tour/ireland_burren_trails.aspx

Thanks again   Gard

Edited by gard 2009-08-11 4:27 PM
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-08-12 7:04 AM (#109306 - in reply to #109193)

Elite Veteran

looks great.  My ride was from north of Galway, theirs is south to north.  You can't go wrong in Ireland as you know from having gone there before.  The people are very friendly and of course since they speak English it's much easier to get around.

seeing the pictures sure brings back memories.  One to share.  The first day of the ride, we rode about 4 hours in the rain and arrived cold, wet, tired, and bedraggled at Cashel House Hotel (which is fabulous!) A woman in the group approached the check in desk and said, "We're with the Leahy Party."  The young man at the desk replied, "Of course you are, only Willie Leahy would do this to people on holiday." 

While there and if they have time, rent a car and there are tons of neat historic places to visit.  Bunratty Castle is on the road to Shannon from the airport and it's a castle along with a whole village restored to what it was like back in the day. 

We also visited some other places that had medevil type housing, a leather sailboat the Brendon that someone sailed across the ocean, Cliffs of Mohr, etc  I was there back in '87, but it is a rich welcoming country that has much to offer.  And they gotta visit the PUBS.  You meet the locals and they have great food and "beverages". 

Edited by Dunoir 2009-08-12 7:09 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-24 7:39 AM (#109894 - in reply to #109193)

Expert

I wanted to thank you all for your personal riding recollections. My wife and daughter just returned from their Irish equine trip and were delighted with the promoters, facilities, riding and ambiance.

I previously posted a link for this ride, and based on my girls' glowing reports, would recommend it to anyone interested in this type of vacation.

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)