'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New to the world of horses and horse trailers! Have a rediculous question...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-17 9:35 AM
15 replies, 5475 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

purduecrew
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-16 2:46 PM (#109443)
Subject: New to the world of horses and horse trailers! Have a rediculous question...

Hello all! Ill try and keep this as concise as possible.

Im getting ready to graduate in December and settle down with the love of my life...and she loves horses! She will have one when we move several hours north next spring. However, neither of us have a suitable tow vehicle or horse trailer.

On that hand, my hobbies before I met this girl include four wheeling, motorcycles, and also muscle cars!

We BOTH love camping and I had planned on getting a suitable truck and fifth wheel in the first place. So finally here is the question.

My logic leads me to believe that instead of buying a flatbed, camping trailer, car trailer, enclosed trailer, and horse trailer, I should buy one rather nice horse trailer w/ LQ...

Now, I know you can put horses, four wheelers, and motorcycles in the back of a horse trailer, but can you get a trailer wide enough to hold a musclecar? Im not totally worried about how large it may have to be or the tow vehicle as it seems justifiable to spend the money on one nice trailer instead of five. Just tryin to learn here, as Im a newb! Thanks in advance for any help!

Brandon

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-08-16 3:11 PM (#109444 - in reply to #109443)
Subject: RE: New to the world of horses and horse trailers! Have a rediculous question...

Expert

So, I have a dumb question, and the answer will help with your issue.....what is the width and length of a muscle car (equines I know, muscle cars.......nada!!)
301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-08-16 3:29 PM (#109445 - in reply to #109443)
Subject: RE: New to the world of horses and horse trailers! Have a rediculous question...

Veteran

Been exactly where your at, only it was a daughter that changed my life.  What you're wanting is possible, but going to be a little hard to find.  I would look for a "stock combo" trailer with a full swing rear door, possibly with collapsible tack.  There are not a whole lot of them out there but they do exist.  I would try to stick to 8' wide just to give yourself some extra room, but you may have to settle for narrower.  Best of luck!
purduecrew
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-16 3:39 PM (#109447 - in reply to #109444)

hey thanks for the response ya'll!

well for instance a 70 chevelle is about 16.5 feet long and about 7 feet wide ( my favorite)

and a 70 challenger can go about 16 feet long and 7 feet wide ( her favorite haha!)

so technically an 8 footer would work but arent the wheel wells inboard on 8 foot wide trailers? you can get trailers with ramps on back right? that would be nice...

what is this stock combo trailer exactly? I understand what is said about the collapsible tack room but I wouldnt even mind having an LQ trailer with the mid tack room in the middle...just thinkin out loud right now...

How "wide" ( long) is a slant load stall? In other words, if you emptied out the back of a four horse slant, how much room would you have wall to ramp? does that make any sense?

I just see it as less trailers to store/maintain/update/register/insure/etc.

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-08-16 3:43 PM (#109449 - in reply to #109443)

Elite Veteran

Newhorseman;You could get a 3/4 ton truck and a weekender LQ, then, get a flatbed bumper pull trailer for your other hobbies...Please realize this "horse-thing" doesn't go away... I am older than dirt (56 going on 25), and it was the one thing that made me put men in my "rear-view mirror" in the past because they did not share my passion (at least in that arena). Good Luck to you both!
purduecrew
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-16 3:47 PM (#109450 - in reply to #109449)

hahaha I truly understand, trust me!

I don't ever intend to sway her away, I grew up on a small hobby farm myself with 20 acres, 10 head of cattle, bottle calves, dogs, etc. I have nothing against the horse thing, just never had a direct interest, nor money, nor was I raised directly around horses. Just ignorance at this stage for me! Im learning slowly!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-08-16 3:51 PM (#109451 - in reply to #109443)

Expert

Yes the wheels are usually in board on an 8' trailer.   You will have a really tight fit with most cars inside as far as width.

ATV's,  Motorcycles etc are no big deal.   But if you are really hauling cars around. You may want to consider a second trailer.

Most of the trailer manufacture website, give dimensions for their trailers. And a 16-17 foot long car will be tough to get in length wise.  A 4 horse LQ with a 9' LQ is 25'-27' long on the box.  With the slant on the butt wall of the horse compartment, it will not be 16' long.

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-08-16 3:55 PM (#109452 - in reply to #109443)

Extreme Veteran

You can have anything you want fabricated. Look around the trailers for sale here to give you a good idea what horse trailers with living quarters entail. Go to a nearby horse trailer dealership and tell them what you want. They will help you make what you want. I would recommend a mid-tack so you can drive your cars up without having to collapse the rear tack which is a pain every time you want to do something different. Or, just get two trailers. Many of us with large LQ trailers end up with a 2 horse for quick trips anyhow.

Like she stated earlier, the horse thing does not tend to go away. It gets bigger.

Good luck!

purduecrew
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-16 4:04 PM (#109453 - in reply to #109443)

Understood. Two trailers I guess could be more justifiable than one monster. I just want to avoid a parking lot full. I went to Main Trailer Sales in Seymour, IN twice now. http://www.maintrailersales.com/default.aspx

Jared the guy there has been very helpful but the subject of building a custom trailer has never come up. Any rough idea what something like that could cost?!?!? Sounds like a $50K plus request...

301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-08-16 5:13 PM (#109455 - in reply to #109443)

Veteran

You'll have the same fender well clearance on a horse trailer as you will on a flatbed car trailer as the axles are both about 83" more or less on the inside and 102" more or less on the outside.  The 8' is to give you some room for other things, i.e. ramps, tables etc.  I too wanted to do what you are thinking, to be brutally honest I have numerous trailers to accomplish my desires.  My problem is it takes a very big horse trailer to load 4 snowmobiles!!
301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-08-16 5:21 PM (#109456 - in reply to #109443)

Veteran

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=208947  This is kinda what I'm thinking you're looking for?  Though, it is a little narrow for hauling a car.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-08-16 6:10 PM (#109459 - in reply to #109453)

Extreme Veteran

Jared the guy there has been very helpful but the subject of building a custom trailer has never come up. Any rough idea what something like that could cost?!?!? Sounds like a $50K plus request...

That's quite a possibility depending on how fancy you want to be...get two trailers, it's easier in the long run

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-16 6:25 PM (#109460 - in reply to #109443)

Expert

Take your $50 K and purchase two used trailers; a used LQ horse trailer and a car/toy hauler. To try to combine the usefulness of both into one, would mean that each purpose would be compromised. It would be better to have two, each performing as it should.

Gard

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-08-16 9:29 PM (#109466 - in reply to #109443)

Elite Veteran

I see a second horse in your future too. Otherwise what will you do when she is out riding. She's gonna want you to share the outdoors on horseback with her.
purduecrew
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-16 9:36 PM (#109467 - in reply to #109443)

dang this board is pretty active!

oh yes, Im sure there will be second horse in the future.  I think buckskins are just beautiful! There will prolly be alot of pairs in our future LOL!

I think you guys are probably right, it will probably just take two good trailers to do everything. Because If I take my car, she will want to take hers and that immediately ruins the idea of one trailer for all...

Well that sure makes things easier. And yah car trailers aren't cheap but they aren't unbearable...

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-08-17 9:35 AM (#109476 - in reply to #109443)

Extreme Veteran

Even if the car would fit in width wise how would you get out of it once you drove it in? Can't open the door and I would think climbing out of it would be difficult and possibly damage the car.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)