'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brake Controller Problem

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-06 12:54 PM
4 replies, 7556 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-08-03 1:23 PM (#108905)
Subject: Brake Controller Problem

Regular

I have an 06 Chevy Duramax with a Hayes Endeavor controller. All was working fine until I went to the beach and my truck sat for 6 days. When I got back in it to go home, the cruise control would not work and the brake controller made continuous clicking noises and would flash OC. I stopped and removed the cruise control fuse - not blown - replaced it and the cruise control was working again. Have checked all the trailer wiring fuses and none appear to be blown - even replaced the square pink 30 amp one under the hood. The troubleshooting guide for the brake controller says that a flashing OC indicates blue controller wire not connected. I've looked over all the wires and everything appears to be in order and nothing changed since before the beach trip. I'm not sure where to start looking for the problem, and I'm concerned that if I have a short somewhere I may short out something on the trailer if I plug it into the truck. When I plug the brake controller into the truck, it flashes OC, makes continuous clicking noises like it is cycling through something, and will occasionally show a 0 like no brake force is being applied. I keep it unhooked because I can't stand the clicking. Any ideas? Is it the brake controller or the truck?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-08-03 1:46 PM (#108907 - in reply to #108905)
Subject: RE: Brake Controller Problem

Expert

Drive in any salt water?.... I would check the plug and cable assembly from the firewall to the controller, make sure it's getting a good connection. Unplug and replug it several times. Then check the truck plug at the hitch for corrosion. Moisture in that plug makes the controller and cruise control do stupid things. If you're getting power arcing across a salt bridge in the plug from the 12 volt source to the blue brake lead, it wiil feed back and kick the cruise control off as if yiou were applying the brakes.... A feed back if you will...

May not be you case, it did happen to me a long time ago....

bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-08-06 12:30 PM (#109057 - in reply to #108905)

Regular

Thanks retento. I did not drive in any salt water. My truck stayed parked at the condo the entire time. I've looked at the plug in the bed and it appears to be clean and without problems. I've unplugged and plugged back the controller only about 15 times. Sometimes it starts the clicking immediately and sometimes it acts as it should for a little while first. I figure it is some random problem as yours was, but I just don't know where to start.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-08-06 12:47 PM (#109061 - in reply to #108905)

Expert

Did you check the 7 blade RV plug down by the rear bumper/hitch?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-06 12:54 PM (#109063 - in reply to #108905)

Expert

Before you get into some heavy duty trouble shooting, you might try to disconnect the plugs, and coat the terminals with dielectric grease and reassemble them. This should eliminate a poor connection in your plug as being the root of the troubles.

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)