'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help needed with windows!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-06 4:50 PM
4 replies, 3148 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Bay Runner
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-08-05 11:58 PM (#109040)
Subject: Help needed with windows!!

New User

Okay, my hubby and I are going nuts. I need some help and I'm hoping SOMEONE out there has an answer, idea or SOMETHING for me before the men with the white coats take us away.....

It sounds really stupid, but we are having a HECK of a time getting the chrome strips back into the windows of the horse trailer.

The way they work is that the window seal on each manger door holds in the plexiglass window. The there are these chrome strips that actually have a small ridge on both sides that SIT in grooves in the seal. It acts on pressure to push the seal out on the steel as well as the window to create a tight seal.

All fine and dandy, BUT I can't get the stupid things back into the seals to save my life, already put a scratch into the new paint job (OH that was not a pretty sight) and although hubby has gotten farther in the task than I got, he is scratching the heck out of the chrome strip as well as tearing the edge of the rubber seal with the screwdriver. Which is all we have that is strong and thin in enough to pry the rubber up to wedge in the chrome strip.

I am about ready to scrap the whole thing and have it done by a professional, but at $90/hr..... I just don't know. AND these are the guys who asked ME how to install the bumper I ordered for the trailer....which I ordered from them. Makes me a little nervous that I'll get back a beat up trailer or worse.

I would post a picture...but not sure if I can on HTW!! Hopefully my description was enough!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-08-06 2:45 AM (#109044 - in reply to #109040)
Subject: RE: Help needed with windows!!

Expert

Edited by retento 2009-08-06 6:11 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-06 7:45 AM (#109050 - in reply to #109040)

Expert

'I'm not sure of the type of seal of which you are having difficulties. When I worked at a sports car shop, a body man helped me reinstall a windshield. It was held in place by a rubber seal, then a chrome trim piece was fitted into the seal. It had a double tapered groove, in which the chrome trim, which was so easily removed, could not be reinstalled by me.

The body shop mechanic came over with two strong pieces of twine and some Vaseline. With a screw driver, he pressed the twine into the grooves intended for the trim piece, around the moulding's entire circumference, with the ends sticking out for grip. Then he applied a slight coating of Vaseline to the same groves.

Setting the end of one of the strips into the slots, and while pushing it into place, he pulled on the strings which snapped the rubber moulding around, and secured the trim. He advanced this progress untl the entire trim was secure. The whole job took almost as long to do as reading this description.

The old style windshields are installed this same way. The new ones are glued in. I would contact someone who installs windshields, and your problems will probably be solved. Take your trailer to their shop during a lunch break or between jobs, and they should easily affix your trim.

Gard

Bay Runner
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-08-06 1:29 PM (#109067 - in reply to #109040)

New User

Thanks for the replys. I also had this posted on another forum and they gave me the same advise....call a glass/autobody shop!

And as the second poster suggested, this is exactly what the pieces is. A locking strip! They said they had a tool and some lubricant that they used and both windows would be done in less than a half hour. Oh thank goodness because we were going crazy with the whole thing!

Thanks again!
Bay Runner
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-08-06 4:50 PM (#109081 - in reply to #109067)

New User

Just wanted to add that I took the trailer in. It took the guy less than 10 minutes to do both windows, and cost me $20 cash. Now THAT was $20 well spent! I'll be dropping off a 6-pack as well because they were super nice and fit me in on a really busy day!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)