'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Aluminum flooring

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-05 3:12 AM
5 replies, 6741 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Safet
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-08-02 8:45 PM (#108879)
Subject: Aluminum flooring

Veteran

I looked at a few horse trailers and noticed that some of the "older" (2000) horse trailer floors (aluminum) had dips in the flooring.  I pulled up the mat in one of them and stepped on the bare aluminum.  I could both see and feel the aluminum floor flexing.  I did not see any pitting.  Is this normal for an aluminum floor?  It appears to be made of approximately 12 inch wide aluminum pieces running from the front of the trailer toward the rear. 

Another trailer I looked at had a floor that looked as if it had much narrower "planks," also running front to back.  This one emitted a sound like sand grains rubbing when I stepped on the planks near both wheel wells.  Again, I lifted the mat and stepped on the flooring.  No flexing, but there was definitely that grating sound.

If one needs to replace planks, what does this cost? 

I read a thread mentioning both werm flooring (not near where I live that I've been able to find), and replacing the aluminum floor with wood planking.  Has anyone done this and if so, what is the procedure?

Thank you!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-02 10:01 PM (#108888 - in reply to #108879)
Subject: RE: Aluminum flooring

Expert

Some brands of trailers use aluminum sheets for the flooring. (4 Star etc.) While strong and secure, over time they tend to stretch and oil can between the floor joists. When you walk over the floor, you can feel and hear this movement.

Some trailer floors are covered with "planks", that are usually placed longitudinally, length wise in the trailer. These are more rigid, but depending on how they are fastened to the trailer frame and each other, and how frequently this occurs, you can end up with some flexing between the pieces. Any sand or dirt caught between the planks can result in the noise you hear.

Some trailers have interlocking planks that are individually welded to each cross brace and intersection of the trailers' frames. This is labour intensive, but results in a very strong floor. There is almost no deflection regardless of the horse size, and because each section is mechanically fastened to its neighbour, there is no individual movement between them.

To change out the aluminum planks would be a very labour intensive proposition, and involve some expensive materials. If the flooring is structurally sound, I would have a heavy WERM coating installed over the aluminum flooring. I would not change out an aluminum floor with a wood replacement.

Gard

Safet
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-08-04 12:32 AM (#108932 - in reply to #108879)

Veteran

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any WERM flooring installers around my area.

How does one fix the grating sound when a floor does this (it was a Kiefer trailer if that helps identify the type of aluminum planking)?
If the flooring flexes and does not appear to be eroding or pitted, does that mean it's "normal?"
I've looked at an Exiss 2002 and Featherlite 2000, each with the flexing in areas of the floor.
Do people ever make repairs to just a section or part of the flooring?
Which trailer brands use the spot welding to help spread the weight distribution between planks?
Thanks!

Edited by Safet 2009-08-04 12:36 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-04 8:50 AM (#108940 - in reply to #108932)

Expert

Originally written by Safet on 2009-08-04 1:32 AM

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any WERM flooring installers around my area. .....

I don't know where the closest Werm dealer is to Benton City, but here's the home page from which you may be able to learn more about the product:

http://www.wermofmichigan.com/

How does one fix the grating sound when a floor does this (it was a Kiefer trailer if that helps identify the type of aluminum planking)? ..... If the flooring flexes and does not appear to be eroding or pitted, does that mean it's "normal?" .....

It would be normal for that brand if there is no damage to the original construction. The only way to correct independent flexing between the individual planks, would be by additional welding.

I've looked at an Exiss 2002 and Featherlite 2000, each with the flexing in areas of the floor. ..... Do people ever make repairs to just a section or part of the flooring? ..... Which trailer brands use the spot welding to help spread the weight distribution between planks? ..... Thanks

Exiss is one of the brands that on its Event models, welds each of the interlocking planks to each floor joist and intersecting frame member. Sidekick also features this type of construction. Because the floor joists are strong and close together, and the planks structurally interlock before welding, the problems you have enumerated are uncommon. We have carried  work horses in our trailers which are now 8 and 9 years old, and have had no noticeable flexation or audible results. I personally know several owners of this Exiss brand and model, and none of us have encountered any similar problems.

Any metal structure can be repaired and modified. A good welder in a fabrication shop can construct many types of repairs or structural improvements.

Your audible discomfort of the various trailer brands, may be eliminated by a simple power washing of the flooring. Any debris caught between the planks could be the cause of your complaints. Once these areas are cleaned and prepared, an applied floor coating will eliminate or greatly reduce any future maintenance, and keep these areas free from sand and grit.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-08-04 9:21 AM
Safet
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-08-04 7:39 PM (#108976 - in reply to #108879)

Veteran

Gard, thanks for your responses. I actually liked all three trailer brands for different reasons. What I didn't like in the Kiefer was that the screws for the horse windows were rusting, so it appears that stainless steel screws were not used on the window construction. The flooring actually seemed solid, except for that sound like sand in between the planks.I liked the Exiss event and the Featherlite, but both had those flexible spots. Maybe some spot welding could fix them, I don't know - not knowledgeable enough in that area. I don't think there are WERM installers around here, but I'll contact the company and ask. We did get spray in bed liner put on our truck (think it was LineX), but it's thin and I don't know how that would work out unless it was used under the rubber mats....By the way, I apologize for the lack of spacing. I kept editing, but can't get the returns to stick!

Edited by Safet 2009-08-04 7:46 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-05 3:12 AM (#108986 - in reply to #108976)

Expert

Originally written by Safet on 2009-08-04 8:39 PM

We did get spray in bed liner put on our truck (think it was LineX), but it's thin and I don't know how that would work out unless it was used under the rubber mats!

Having a bed liner installed on the flooring or doing it yourself has many advantages. Before doing so, the floor should be acid washed to stop any preexisting corrosion. This also cleans the metal and etches it in preparation for a surface coating. If a bed liner is then installed, it will effectively block any future corrosion from developing because of horse manure and urine.

The bed liner is not like a Werm product, in that it offers no cushioning affect for the horses' comfort. It also can be damaged by the sharp shoes and constant frictional wear. However, if it is covered by typical rubber mats, this becomes a moot point; the mats protect the coating, the coating protects the flooring.

Because the flooring is sealed, it becomes unnecessary to constantly pull the mats to flush the flooring surface. An extreme mess is easily washed out simply by rolling the butt edge of the mat towards the head side and rinsing the area with a hose. Once the flooring has dried, the mat is rolled back into place. It does not have to be completely removed. We still sweep out any business at the end of every trip, and wash the floor and wall mats with a hose.

Since we have coated our trailer floors, we no longer have heavy mats issues, nor worry about aluminum corrosion of the flooring surface. Our DIY coatings still look like new after several year's usage, and our weekly maintenance is zero. We power wash the floors once in the fall before winter storage.

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)