'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
batteries on trailer for lq. any ideas please??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-07-20 6:47 PM
18 replies, 9723 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

okie ann
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-14 5:49 PM (#108025)
Subject: batteries on trailer for lq. any ideas please??

Regular

i have a 2002 sundowner trail blazer 1, i purchased it used in 2006, and take care of it like it is a member of my family. i just purchased 2 new marine deep cycle batteries for it at the cost of $200.00. i pluged it in to an outlet to let the batteries charge, even tho the slaesman said they were charged 80%.

everything works perfect as long as i am using electric from the house to run the trailer. when i unplug from the house to run off the batteries-NADA. nothing works-at all. i have checked the fuses, the threee circuit breakers, unpluged the power cord from the converter and repluged it, still will not run off the batteries. all of the above check list was fine. the panel monitor is all lit on the battery part. went thru the owners manual troubleshooting guide and there is nothing in there for this problem. it does say that the batteries will charge when pluged into a land line.

i sure could use anyones help on this.

okie ann

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-07-14 7:07 PM (#108037 - in reply to #108025)
Subject: RE: batteries on trailer for lq. any ideas please??

Extreme Veteran

Check you connections. Positive on positive and make sure they are hooked up in parallel. Then trace back into the LQ, to the inverter, then to the distribution box. My guess hooked up wrong or blown fuse. Some reference sites http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volta.htm
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-07-14 7:46 PM (#108039 - in reply to #108025)

Extreme Veteran

I am assuming this is a living qtr? I just spent DAYS trying to resolve the same issue with my 2002 tralblazer 111. All fuses and 12 volt reset were fine. My last resort I had a mechanic friend and then called another electrical mechanic. Well finely I looked under the sofa when trying to trace every possible wire and there was an additional reset button. As soon as it was reset everything worked. The manuals should tell you were everything is located as it took HOURS to figure it out for something so simple.

Edited by laurie 2009-07-14 7:49 PM
okie ann
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-15 1:18 PM (#108066 - in reply to #108037)

Regular

thanks so much for your help. yep, i have positive from one battery to the positive on the other. i have the negitive [white] from one battery to the negitive [white] on the other.

i know they are charged to the max. what does hooked up in parallel mean?  from the battery they run up to the inverter which is in the closet up in the bad area. distribution box?? not sure what this is, or if i even have one. i have checked the fuses and none are blown. the owners manual does NOT discuss this problem, let alone show you where things are located. nothing in the owners manual either about the monitor panel on the wall. nothing on sundowners site for help with the problem.

thanks again.

okie ann
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-15 1:28 PM (#108068 - in reply to #108039)

Regular

yes it has living quarters done by sundowner, you must have the really nice one with the trailblazer 3. mine does not have a bathroom, just a cowboy shower and portable toilet in the first stall.  the owners manual say NOTHING about where things are located, believe me i have read it over and over for three days, tried to do a google search on this problem with sundowner, again nothing.  the nearest dealer is about five hours away, and i hate to go this route. when i put the trailer away last year everything worked fine, although i knew that the batteries were going to have to be replaced this year. i believe i only have one reset button, mine is up in the closet in the bed area, along with the inverter. all the fuses and circuit breakers are fine.

thanks very much for your help. anymore ideas?

okie ann

okie ann
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-15 2:23 PM (#108071 - in reply to #108037)

Regular

ok, i just read the two reference sites, seems like most is just common sense. according to the diagrams i do have everything connected correctly. parallel as i understand it, is the positive runs parallel to the positive on the second battery, the negitive runs parallel to the negitive on the second battery.

i have rechecked the fuses for the third time and none are blown. i also checked under the sofa for a second reset button, none there, just the one in the bed/closet area.

okie ann
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-15 4:42 PM (#108074 - in reply to #108025)

Regular

ok, i just went out and went thru the whole system again. took the batteries off, checked the battery cables, hooked back up, checked the fuses, and the 2 fuses in the inverter, still will not run off the batteries.

i am lost, and yes iam blonde!! 

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-07-15 5:47 PM (#108076 - in reply to #108025)

Extreme Veteran

Great feedback and great job reading the info on those sites. :-) Now do you have a test light or a meter that you can check for 12v power? Start at the batteries. Test the terminals, test the wire coming off, and then find the next wire junction, and so on till you find where the power stops. Typically the power comes into an inverter. This is the gizmo that also brings in the shore power and converts it to 12v to run all the 12v appliances and lights. You can tell because the same heavy wires that left the battery area are generally bolted to this. Be careful Electricity is dangerous. After the converter is generally a distribution box of fuse panel. The fuse panel will have both 110v household breakers and 12v auto fuses. Check very closely your main is probably blown. Most likely you blew the fuse connecting the new batteries. Silly question... Did you buy 12 volt batteries?
MSM
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-07-15 6:23 PM (#108078 - in reply to #108025)

Regular

Did you check your battery isolator?
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-07-15 6:29 PM (#108079 - in reply to #108025)

Elite Veteran

Most Sundowner LQs have two resettable circuit breakers. One controls the line from the converter to the battery, the other from the batts to the coach. These will be a rectangular box about 1.25"x.75" with a small pushbutton on one end, and will be mounted on a wall inline with the wiring. Find these breakers and see if 1 is tripped. The one likely causing your problem will be located in a cabinet within 24" of the battery box. Look for a red wire coming into and from the breaker, then look for the button and push it- if it clicks you have found the culprit.
RTSmith
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-07-15 8:48 PM (#108087 - in reply to #108025)

Extreme Veteran

If it wasn't under the sofa( Cause I don't know how yours is laid out), trace it back from the battery box where it goes into the wall of the trailer. That's where my 2nd reset button was. As someone stated previously about getting a tester. I did that and had power at the fuse panel.
okie ann
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-16 6:42 AM (#108098 - in reply to #108025)

Regular

thanks for everyones help. the 3 breakers were not tripped, none of the fuses were blown, i have checked them 4 times, the two batteries that i replaced were the same kind-marine type. the strange thing is that i can understand plugging into a outlet for electric and having power, if i plug into the truck i have power to everything that should run off the batteries. the exception is the air conditioner, microwave, and thats what the owners mannual states should happen, need electric for them.

so does this narrow it down? works off the power coming from the truck, and electric from the house, but nothing if i try to run it off just the batteries.

i agree electric is somthing that i don't want to monkey around with. my husband was the pro with this, he was a lineman for the power company and if anything at our home had black electric tape on it we knew who had been there. LOL  sadly he passed away.  i can not find more than one reset button, this one is next to the inverter box, and i have pressed this, no click.

once again, thanks to all of you.

okie ann      

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-07-16 6:58 AM (#108099 - in reply to #108025)

Expert

Have you talked to the people you bought the trailer from....? Maybe they know of a hidden, magical, secret switch, that makes it all GO!! Maybe theres something they forgot to tell you, something that may have slipped their mind....

okie ann
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-16 7:15 AM (#108101 - in reply to #108099)

Regular

Originally written by retento on 2009-07-16 6:58 AM

Have you talked to the people you bought the trailer from....? Maybe they know of a hidden, magical, secret switch, that makes it all GO!! Maybe theres something they forgot to tell you, something that may have slipped their mind....

they have moved and i havn't kept in contact with them since i purchased the trailer in 2006. 

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-07-16 7:23 AM (#108103 - in reply to #108098)

Originally written by okie ann on 2009-07-16 6:42 AM

thanks for everyones help. the 3 breakers were not tripped, none of the fuses were blown, i have checked them 4 times, the two batteries that i replaced were the same kind-marine type. the strange thing is that i can understand plugging into a outlet for electric and having power, if i plug into the truck i have power to everything that should run off the batteries. the exception is the air conditioner, microwave, and thats what the owners mannual states should happen, need electric for them.

If I am reading this correctly, all of your 12v stuff still works when plugged into the truck, but not off the batteries? If that is the case, then these other guys are right and there has to be another fuse or circuit breaker in there somewhere. Start with the cable going to the battery and trace where it runs into the trailer and then go inside and follow it from there. Like RT said, it will be small.

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-07-16 7:30 AM (#108104 - in reply to #108025)

Extreme Veteran

Might be time to call the Dealer or another professional.
okie ann
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-16 5:38 PM (#108137 - in reply to #108039)

Regular

hey laurie, you were correct.

called a sundowner dealer in nashville and talked to their service tech. he pointed out to me where the second reset button is. went out and found it, it indeed had to be reset. once i did this everything works great. my second reset switch is behind my clear water holding tank, with A BIG WHITE SIGN AND BLACK LETTERING THAT SAYS 12 VOLT RESET SWITCH. i sure wish they would include this in the owners manual. thanks everyone for your help, i really appreciate it.       

okie ann

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-07-17 11:56 AM (#108179 - in reply to #108025)

Extreme Veteran

So glad it was simple. I also spent days trying to figure mine out but mine wouldn't even work with the truck hooked up. I posted on here and didn't get any responses. I got a chuckle because I saw your post the day after I figured mine out and was glad to help.I do think more info needs to be in the manuals. Common sense made it hard to resolve because you don't expect a second button hidden, you just think everything would be together in the cabinet.

okie ann
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-20 6:47 PM (#108282 - in reply to #108179)

Regular

laurie, i so agree and told the service tech the same thing. i just wish in general they would go into more detail in the manual. mine sure leaves out alot. but the man i talked to couldn't of been nicer to me.

okie ann

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)